Help with organic greenhouse soil mix?

Green Gal

Any ideas for a home mixed organic soil for growing in pots in a greenhouse? Plants will be hand watered. Trying to get it pulled together cheaper than Fox Farm....
Looking at about
50% peat
25% Worm Castings
25% Perlite (would like to get amount of perlite down so I can re-use soil in veggie garden without it looking like it snowed)
Dash of lime.....

I am close to the beach and can grab some kelp? How do I use it? What about bone meal and bat guano?

Thanks for the help

A good base is about equal parts peat, vermicilite, and perlite. Add sparingly worm castings and guano's to enrich the soil with nutes but be careful too much and you'll burn your plants. You can always add more but cant take it out. I'd follow mfg recommendations on how much to add to given volume of soil. Throw in some pulverized dolomite lime to offset peat's acidity.

Or you could always go with FFOF ;)

GreenGal,
I am close to the beach and can grab some kelp? How do I use it? What about bone meal and bat guano?
First I have been using Seaweed for years as well as Bat Guano's Outdoor Organics. I too am close the beach or cliffs.. anyway Kelp,, Get it home and chop it up real good, wash it with water only for several days, Let sit in the sun and it will begin to dry up some, wash it again, this takes 2-3 weeks, to get out all the salts from it.
Add this & Bone Meal, Bat Guano to your Perlite, Peat, worm castings, at 1 cup each per 12 gallons soil mix.

hey Green Gal,
Fox Farm potting soil seems expensive, but when you consider that it's got great organic nutrients and doesn't need any other nutes, it's pretty reasonable. I pay about $22 per bag if I get three at a local nursery. The soil is also dense, doesn't shrink like a lot of light weight mixes heavy on the peat. If you can get it nearby, I'd humbly suggest reconsidering Fox Farm soil.
(it's organic, babe!)
:rollit:

Back
Top Bottom