Help with starting

Reddog1981

Hey guys.. Newbie here.. Just purchased 1, 600 watt ballast kit with hps and mh bulbs also have auto seeds on the way.." Fingers crossed" I was wondering if I could just put the light in the middle of my empty " white" bedroom without a tent or such but have some air flow going and just grow a few plants under the light source for now.. If so how many plants should I start and also I would like to use the finished pot size and that should b approximately what?

Yes you can put the light in the middle of the room but it will be less efficient than if it was in a tent. Putting it in one corner would be a good compromise. Having a reflector for the bulb is also a big savings on otherwise wasted reflected light.
I use two 600s for flowering and I grow four plants per 600 watt. First page of my journal should show the basic setup. Those are fairly large plants- vegged two months or so before flowering. I use mostly ten gallon pots though 7 gallons works fine as well. Five is a bit small for growing plants that size.
Previous to doing the 4 plant per light system I used to grow about 9 plants per light, in three gallon pots. It was a bit more chaotic. Basically, more work, more individual needs to sort out, more chances to screw up and miss something with one plant, more shuffling pots around, more difficulty managing different strains, etc etc.
Six plants per light in 5 gallon pots would be a decent way to go as well.
You'll need a venting system to regulate temperatures and bring in fresh air.
Growing start to finish in the final pot size is a bit tricky and there are good reasons to avoid it. Not that it can't be done- but not to my taste anyway. I always found it difficult to water properly. Cannabis needs a wet-dry cycle and a small plant in a big pot presents a watering challenge.

Back
Top Bottom