Help! Yellowing & curling leaves due to over- fertilization?

Amariah

Greetings all- Does anyone have any ideas about how to bring my plants back into a healthy & productive mode??? I believe that my plants have gotten too much of a good thing. Even though I am using totally organic fertilizers I did mix several products including Earth Juice Grow, & Earth Juice Catalyst, & Humic acids with a little Dutch Masters Max Vegitative boost and I topped it off with some Superthrive! Now most of my plants are doing great! However a majority of my most prolific plants (Greenhouse seeds- Himalayan Gold) are suddenly showing signs of stunting and severe yellowing with curling leaves and some are even brown and red on the edges. Only one out of 5 white widow plants seems similarly affected but not as severely. Most of the other plants seem fine.
(I did treat around some of the Himalayan Gold plants for termites which were chewing up the stems with Boric Acid... could this have affected the soil PH???

Does anyone know how to correct this problem? Since the are in the very beginning stages of flowering I want to heal them ASAP.
Thanks in advance for your help brothers and sisters!!!

Re: HELP! Yellowing & curling leaves due to over- fertilization...?

Can you get some photos up for us?

How strong are you mixing your organic nutes? If you are combining more than 1 then you are going to want to only mix them at 1/4 strength each or even less. When only using 1 plant food it is still better to mix 1/2 strength to reduce the risk of nute burn, which by the sounds of it that's what you've done.

What I suggest you go ahead to do now is flush the medium with plain water for a couple of weeks, then go back to using your bloom nutes, but only at VERY low levels ok :)

Good luck!

Do a flush, should be fine after that. Give her a day or so after the flush then start the nutes up again. Not so strong though man.

Do NOT add ferts after you flush. You seem to have a phosphorous deficiency caused by a nutrient lock-out as a result of over-fertilising. Too much love my friend lol
Do a flush, and let soil dry out, then add a dose of sea tea via foliar and roots, which will help the stress caused by the 'hot' soil. You have to be very careful adding ferts to soil outdoors, as you do not know the existing soil ballast, and can cause a ph and fert imbalance as a result.
The sea tea will be particularly helpful. I would not be adding any extra ferts from here on. Good luck.

I think we can all agree that the most important thing to do is that you flush it to rid the plant of excess nutrient build-up in the soil. :peace:

Thanks 4 all of your input!!! I'm going up to visit Friday morning so I plan to test the soil and flush it 4 the 2nd time with plain water- assuming that the soil PH is off does anyone know off the top of your head what one must do to correct the PH. (Keeping in mind that I do need to remain totally organic!)
I'm wondering what exactly is the "Sea Tea" that you are referring to? I have some brown liquid Kelp which I use primarily as a foliar spray... would that work as a "sea tea"? All I know is that I want to get these plants healthy and vigorous for entering thier blooming cycle- because up until this little incident they were all looking sooooo fine! Another question 4 you - some are saying to begin with the flowering nutrients after a couple of weeks... you seem to be saying no more nutes at all??? As a side note every other variety that I have growing has handled the intensive nutients quite well without any adverse affects (with the exception of a single White widow- and she does not nearly as stressed as the Himalayan Golds) Would you advise to stop fertilizing the Golds but go forward with the flowering nutes on all of the other plants or...???

You can use brown liquid kelp if you are sure it does not have added N (ie fish). If you are already using it, use a half strength every 3 days for a couple of weeks, then to 5 days after. I would start adding 1/4 strength ferts after about 3 weeks, the soil have the ballast to sustain it after flushing. Try and get your ph at 5.6 to 5.8.

...and I topped it off with some Superthrive!

It probably isn't causing your problems, but it can't be helping. Everyone might not agree with me, but every time I have used Superthrive during flowering it has stunted growth and hurt nutrient uptake.

-Umpsy

Superthrive is not a flowering nutrient, in fact it is not a nutrient at all. Superthrive contains Vitamin B1 and Thamine which are mainly rooting hormones. I use this for plants in veg. and any plants that are showing general signs of stress.

I have never used ST during flowering as that is not it's intended application. If others say that they noticed stunted growth when using ST during flowering I'll have to just take their word for it. :peace:

Thanks for your input Umpsy and Roorman! I am beginning to think that perhaps an overly strong foliar feed was the culprit. And since the plants in question were not yet into their flowering phase I was still trying to pump them up with my vegging nutes. However during this past 10 days or so since this unfortunate event the plants in question are almost all showing signs of beggining to bloom and while they are also showing signs of recovereing some of them look very unhappy and stunted with very yellowing leaves curled up on the edges and many even have brown edges. Having tested the soil today I discovered some odd things- Nitrogen and Phospherous were both very low and Potash was low- and the PH seems to be about 6.5 I did not expect the Nitrogen to be so low in the soil, especially since I have been using high N organic nutes??? Again all of the other plants seem unaffected by this whole "drama". Any suggestions on correcting the PH? you indicated a PH of 5.6-5.8 how would I go about accomplishing this with a reading of about 6.5
Thanks again!

Wait Slow down 5.8 that is for hydro!!! IMO You are growing in soil you are good @ 6.5 I have a few gardens going now and they are all @ 6.5 - 6.8 w/ no issues as far as the over NUTES just step back drop down to 1/2 or 1/4 strength to the bad ones and the good ones continue on...

What is your feeding schedule 2 days on 1 day off??? I know from my experiences that some strains especially when you are trying a new one it seems to happen but some will eat all th NUTES you throw @ them and others you can not go over 1100 till at least weeks 2-3 IME... I have a few different strains going now and I had to mix a separate batch of NUTES for the church for the first three weeks because they were so temperamental to the NUTES meanwhile their MOM was up to 1600+ in W/F's... What soil are you using it is not FFOF is it because w/ that soil you really need to watch in the early stages...

Well hope all works out it is always easy to add a bit more each day but a lot harder to remove all that excess... We all did it but that is how we all learn... This early on should really not play that big of a role in your yield...

Well Good Luck GL

Thanks GreenLeaf! I'm thinking that these Himalayan Golds although very robust in their vegging cycle are perhaps more sensitive to all of the nutes. (Though I am confounded as to why the soil tested very low in both N & P? Now that they are starting to go into the flowering phase I will begin some blossom nutes. I watered today and then this afternoon their was over an hour of rain up there so I am thinking that they will be sufficiently flushed by next Tues. For the Golds I will simply give them some very diltued nutes with brown seaweed- for the rest I will give them a regular dose of budding nutes. What is FFOF soil Greenleaf? I mixed a little organic Omni-soil with the existing sandy forest soil and added some kelp meal. I also used the water retaining crystals because it can be very hot and dry in AZ.

Oh and I was giving nutes no more than once a week- although somtimes I would feed with foliar and liquid at the same time perhaps that is what over-amped them?

FFOF is Fox Farm Ocean Forest... What NUTES are you using??? You may want to get a TEA like Mothers Earth From AN it will help treat the soil... The soil mix you have their did you have to add any lime???

When you do a mix it could be a really RICH in minerals and feeding can really throw off the plant IMO... I use Sunshine #4 because it is similar to a Pro Mix but does not have such a high runoff... We did a test on another site and Pro Mix has a natural very high Runoff... Runoff is higher then 7.5 w/ Pro and for those who use FFOF have the same issues of a high PH in the early stages or after a transplant... They experience Lock Out and always believe it to be a deficiency but the plants just will not take anything up at all...

You should be able to feed every other day or two days on one day off... Did you try to get them onto a schedule??? Are they from seed or Clones and what are their age if clones how was the feeding to the Mom's??? I would not think that the Foliar Feeding played a role in the Burn unless your mix was to high... Lock Out could become an issue or may be an issue now... Being that you did a MIX it is hard to break it down did you do a Runoff test of the soil??? If so what is the Runoff??? Did you add any Perlite to the Mix???

If it was me I would let them Dry Dry up no water @ all till the pots are really light... Then go with a full water w/ a full feeding... Are you following a chart for feeding I really need to know what NUTES you are using... When you are going w/ a Micro Grow and Bloom you do not want to go full w/ all additives as directed on the bottles... You really need to see how the plants take to what you throw @ them... After that full feed then just go w/ straight H2O then go to a full feed... Do that for a week then go to 2 days feed 1 day H20...

What is the TDS of your Tap water??? I seen you said they are on a roof??? What is the rain TDS were you are @ you may want to test that just leave a bucket out their then test... Are you using Well Water if so you may want to go w/ a Reverse Osmosis set up... Are you adding any Cal-Mag or Pk13??? Their are so many questions and variables I would wait it out and let them suck up all H20 even if you have to CVR the pots so the water from mother nature can not get in... So this way it is just your feeding that they are getting...

Well I'm here to help you out Keep us posted!!! You want to get them to eat at least 3-4 days a week and it can easily be fixed even if a transplant is necessary... How many girls do you have going into flower total???

Good luck GL

Canabis can grow just fine with very little nutes. Do you think they get fox farms stuff just growing naturally out there in nature? Sure it helps but remember not to overdo it.

FFOF is Fox Farm Ocean Forest... What NUTES are you using??? You may want to get a TEA like Mothers Earth From AN it will help treat the soil... The soil mix you have their did you have to add any lime???
No lime added
When you do a mix it could be a really RICH in minerals and feeding can really throw off the plant IMO... I use Sunshine #4 because it is similar to a Pro Mix but does not have such a high runoff... We did a test on another site and Pro Mix has a natural very high Runoff... Runoff is higher then 7.5 w/ Pro and for those who use FFOF have the same issues of a high PH in the early stages or after a transplant... They experience Lock Out and always believe it to be a deficiency but the plants just will not take anything up at all...

You should be able to feed every other day or two days on one day off... Did you try to get them onto a schedule??? Are they from seed or Clones and what are their age if clones how was the feeding to the Mom's??? I would not think that the Foliar Feeding played a role in the Burn unless your mix was to high... Lock Out could become an issue or may be an issue now... Being that you did a MIX it is hard to break it down did you do a Runoff test of the soil??? If so what is the Runoff??? Did you add any Perlite to the Mix??? These plants are from seed- they are growing 6 miles out int the wilderness so the water is from a natural rain fed pool- the Nutrients I am using are listed in the very first post and as far as drying it out I do not have control because it rained very hard for the past 2 days in a row. So they are being flushed by nature

If it was me I would let them Dry Dry up no water @ all till the pots are really light... Then go with a full water w/ a full feeding... Are you following a chart for feeding I really need to know what NUTES you are using... When you are going w/ a Micro Grow and Bloom you do not want to go full w/ all additives as directed on the bottles... You really need to see how the plants take to what you throw @ them... After that full feed then just go w/ straight H2O then go to a full feed... Do that for a week then go to 2 days feed 1 day H20...

What is the TDS of your Tap water??? I seen you said they are on a roof??? What is the rain TDS were you are @ you may want to test that just leave a bucket out their then test... Are you using Well Water if so you may want to go w/ a Reverse Osmosis set up... Are you adding any Cal-Mag or Pk13??? Their are so many questions and variables I would wait it out and let them suck up all H20 even if you have to CVR the pots so the water from mother nature can not get in... So this way it is just your feeding that they are getting...

Well I'm here to help you out Keep us posted!!! You want to get them to eat at least 3-4 days a week and it can easily be fixed even if a transplant is necessary... How many girls do you have going into flower total???

Good luck GL

Hold Up!!!

I need as many suggestions as possible nothing is to stupid!

Did I say something wrong??? I was here to help you w/ the issues that you are having @ hand... I have friends that sleep in the woods for 60+ days and bag plants every 12Hrs... You are telling me you can not stop them from receiving water other then natural rain???

Really I know you can be a little more intuitive then that!!!

So my question for you is how bad do you want it!!! Good Hardy healthy Dank ass weed!!!

Yeah sure a Plant can grow with out nutes they develope like shit!!!

You get what you put into it...

I will help anyone who is willing to put in the time and effort and sometimes I need help!!! Now if you are going to let nature just run it's course that's fine you may get lucky or you may not... As far as the nutes and defieciency's go that can be an issue w/ the rain water... Maybe to much or not enough of something...

I'm here to help you now if you would like help it is not to late @ all there is still a good amount of time left in this Gorrila season to get it under control...

So if you want the help Holla back and if you want nature to run it's course Good Luck!!!

Either way I wish you the best of luck

GL1

Thanks 4 all your input GreenLeaf- but I think that you might be confusing another discussion thread with this one cause I am not Cannapheliac??
Just to clarify to GreenLeaf and everyone else- these plants in question are planted in the ground I used some soil amendments but they are growing in the forest 6 miles out into the wilderness. I am feeding them and giving them some attention but I am not watching them every day and I can only control the enviornment to a certain extent. AND TRUTH BE TOLD MOST OF MY 75+ PLANTS ARE LOVING IT- it is just the Himalayan Gold plants which I got from GreenHouse seeds (Yes they were feminized seeds) that are shwing some severe stress possibly from excessive nutes??? However I am confidant that when I go back to visit tomorrow after 3 days of heavy rains that all of them are going to be doing better and happy. Nearly all of the plants are showing signs of budding and even though the tallest plants are only 3-4' there is going to be some good production of very high quality buds in the near future.
I was just trying to determine what exactly I did wrong to stunt and interrupt the vegging cycle of these plants so that I do not repeat the same mistakes in the future- and also hoping to find ways to help my plants quickly recover so that they can produce the big juicy buds that I know they can produce at this point given the right care.

Back
Top Bottom