Herm from light stress or genetics

redwompaone

Hello,
I have some ladies 4 weeks into flower,

i noticed some seed pods and later a herm. i removed the herm from the bunch and havent found any more.

i noticed a small light leak from my door that has been fixed, also my new controller had a red led interface that could cause some stress.

so what im wondering,

is the ace of spade female that hermed on me, is that from stress , or genetics? or a little of both?

the ace of spades is a new strain from tga subcool. ive spent alot of time picking mothers and took cuttings and flowered for 4 weeks to deterimne the sex.

so on that note,

should i keep the resulting seeds from the other non herm plants? or would they have also the same herm traits.

Or ive heard tga uses unstable strains that have a high probability of turning herm.

so should i can the ace of spades all together or could i have stressed it to herm?

theres also royal haze, qrazy train, harliquin, amethyst, and gods gift in the room. so far none show signs of herm just unfortunatly pollination

Does anyone know if a "nanner" looks like a seed pod at early formation? i see a bunch of pods below the dying pistil but im wondering on some if its not a nanner bout to pop.

Ive never had a herm before or anything close to this problem.
been growin for about 3 years and have tried many diff strains.

thanks guys!:peace:

Hello redwompaone,

I have a lot of the same questions you have, I am on my first grow and am concerned that two of my plants are hermied. I am just gonna let them go to end no matter what, que sera sera.

I have read that you can't have a any light stronger than normal moonlight hitting your plants during the night cycle or you will have trouble. The moonlight theory makes sense, it is what they would naturally experience in the wild anyway. The problem with that idea (imo) is that how strong moonlight is is subjective. My plants are in a tent, and I have taken every precaution to seal up any light leaks. I also blacked out the room window, it stays pretty dark during the day, so I think I'm good there.

But stress is another story. Being a n00be grower, I know I stressed my poor babies by under watering the first 4 weeks of their life. One of them was truly on death's door, but I got it together and she came back around nicely.

I have also read the "hermies make hermies" theory, and that any offspring from a hermie seed will likely hermie. Also read that most bag seed is from hermies. I am curious if this is true as well. I have a decent stash of bag seed, and am pretty much broke for this entire year :/ If my grows don't work out for me I'm gonna have to stop smoking and Momma needs her medicine, ya feelin' me? :)

Sorry I don't have any solid advice or answers for you, just wanted to chime in that I have some of the same concerns. :Namaste:

ok hopefully this will answer some questions and help someone some day.

all my seeds were sexed prior to flower aso they were regular sex not bag seed.

I did have light leak and because i had more than one strain herm.

basicly the ones closest to the leak hermed.

ive never encounterd this before and ive had problems with light schedules and what not .,

but this was a straight up leak under the door (probably more than moonlight)

i first started to see brown and red pistils., i should have realized then (about a week ago) approx week 3 flower.

this is a tale tale sign of pollination very bad, your bud with end its process as we would like it to and start seed production, and correct me if im wrong but its only on the pollinated flowers.

so i read you will find the herms or " nanners" (assholes) on the highest flower on the plant., as i find this to be true, i found i easier found in the lower branches, sets of 3 bannans pods hanging, drama like that.,

basicly your hosed and its just damage control. if u can i would yank all the plants u find herms on., if u cant afford the loss try the spray reverse,

and if your in my boat im on a perpetual harvest so i ust threw in freshies at day 4., so pollination of those is a risk im taking.,

best thing ive found to do if your strapped like me is. cut the branches that have obvious male flowers, or just the buds., be very carfull not to rupture them in removal or even when your looking they are sensitive and i found one by it bursting pollen when i moved a lower branch., so while you in a hunt for them have a spray bottle with water handy., spray and flower before you try and remove it., have a bag ready to put it in to avoid risk of the pollen in the air.

also make sure all fans are off., if you have unpollinated females spray them with water lightly during this process.,

pollens kryptonite = water

if a plant herms from a light stress the resulting seed from that hermie pollination will be much more sensitive to light stress, but it will be female.

but basicly if you got a herm from light stress i would let the seeds be.

also the light stress is mainly dependent of the inturuption of darkness,
light leak, light one in the middle of the cycle etc.,

if some strains herm and other dont from the same stress stop it,

lets everyone do everyone a favor and stop bredding with herm plants

Feminized seeds are also known as bagseed which might herm easier than regular seeds, and depending how the bredder got the pollen for a feminized seed,
if they used light stress that will carry to the next generation,

if it was herm from over ripen 2-4 weeks overdue any plant should herm, those feminzed seeds would herm towards the end of the cycle which is normal,

and towards the end of the cycle if it is pollinated it shouldnt have enough time to cause problems or even form seeds.

weed out the herms!! ive dealt with powder mildew, spider mites, flies,

but herm has been the worst and devistating yet. make sure u constantly check you darkness.

my light leak was caused by a piece of weatherstriping looseing its sticky,

while you in a hunt for them have a spray bottle with water handy., spray and flower before you try and remove it., have a bag ready to put it in to avoid risk of the pollen in the air.

also make sure all fans are off., if you have unpollinated females spray them with water lightly during this process.,

pollens kryptonite = water

Great advice, thanks! I have never read about having a spray bottle handy in case you find nanners.

From what I know about hermies, they are caused by improper storing of seeds that stresses em out during germination,or improper grow conditions even in vegging stateor even too rich of hi N medium that they're growing in. Happened to me when I way over added cow manure to my organic soil then after long search for why, the aforementioned came up by googling. Rastafari.

i'v never seen a plant hermie from stress OTHER than stress durring flower..

i'v had some horribly stressed girls in veg.. and they didnt hermie.

im not saying it cant happen.. im just saying its more likely to happen if they remain stressed or get stressed durring the flower period..

i also like to give plants a solid 2 weeks of good veg before flipping if they were stressed eariler.

Back
Top Bottom