High Noon on Fox Business

As this country faces a fiscal disaster, we have had one of the most interesting ideas for a solution this week on Fox Business. If you've been watching, we just wrapped our special series "High Noon": a look at the world of medical marijuana. Both sides were represented in the debate. We spoke with doctors, politicians, advocates, and patients.

As I look back on the coverage, I have formed opinions on the topic, and they are probably as controversial as the issue itself. Should we legalize medical marijuana? I believe we should, but I also think it should be left to the states, and the federal government should stay out.

Should we legalize marijuana in general? Actually, I also think yes. I have seen what the Mexican drug wars have done to my home state of Arizona, along with California and Texas (my other home.) If we were to legalize medical marijuana it would take the criminal element out of distribution. I heard Dr. Marc Seigal Friday say it harms our bodies worse than smoking cigarettes. But look at the damage that legalized substances such as alcohol or prescription medicines do? What is the difference between getting a prescription for marijuana to help you sleep versus getting a script for Ambien?

Again, I don't smoke the stuff, but I listen to those that do to ease pain, and I don't have a problem with what they choose to do. In fact, marijuana is a plant that grows naturally. I've been trying to eat healthier foods and choose organic items. Is there that much of a difference between my choices and the choices of those who want to smoke a joint?

Then there is the tax revenue question. The California marijuana business is valued a 17 billion dollars annually. That's a lot of tax revenue for a state that still has serious budget . They already tax medical marijuana sales at 9.75%.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Fox Business
Author: Cheryl Casone
Copyright: 2009 FOX News Network, LLC

A lot of what hurts the movement is all the lies about MJ causing cancer and being worse than cigarettes. There has never been an ounce of proof that is true but it gets widely dispersed by the media.

Back
Top Bottom