High-Rise Low Budget - Indoor Sun/Lights Grow & Reveg - Storm Trooper

psifos

High Everyone :volcano-smiley:

This will be my second journal...the first one of which I'm sad to say was abandoned as I had some drainage issues and the plant died. But both grows have been in my high-rise condo that is fortunate enough to have ridiculous amounts of natural sunlight, privacy, and space. I kind of stumbled upon finding some seeds last year, and thought it would be fun to try and grow with as little money as possible. While she actually grew amazing to start, after we transplanted she eventually died because of drainage problems with the new pot (confirmed once the autopsy was done, the roots became rotten.

Nonetheless, had a friend who had a clone he was willing to part ways with this winter - and so we (roomie) decided to go again, this time with a slightly larger budget, increased from $20 - to about $150 (plus electricity costs). As is still the case, we planned on using a hybrid of indoor lights + natural sun while available, maximizing light and minimizing costs.

Storm Trooper Strain (Crystal Storm X + Jedi 41 Y)
Coco Coir
CANNA Coco Nutes, CALMAX, AZOS, Mykos for Veg State
Bud Candy added during Bloom for first trial
PH 5.9, Alternating between just PH balanced water and Nutes every 3 to 4 days.

3 x 24w CFL Full Spectrum bubls, + 1 45W LED (1/3 Blue to 2/3 Red)
Grow Box made of U-Haul Wardrobe Box, lined with emergency mylar blankets).

When we got her as a clone:
151228_163353_COLLAGE-1.jpg

About a week and a half later, only under artificial light.
0110161325.jpg

One more week - we gave her a haircut, and then put her into 12/12.

0122161806_2_.jpg

About a week and a half into bloom - starting to show her pistils.

0207160916.jpg

Here's our very budget friendly grow box! - $10 at U-haul for their wardrobe box, and $8 in mylar emergency blankets from outdoor sports store. Complete with wire hangers to hang the lights. This box also helps to maximize the sun while it's out (especially during the low-light months).

0208161612b_1_.jpg

0208161719_1_.jpg

Then the addition of the LED light about a week later (already into bloom stage - not ideal, but hey, on a budget right?).
0215161733a.jpg

Flowers coming in full force, 3 weeks after bloom.
0214160926b_1_.jpg

You can see her size - not too much bigger than when we started blooming her.
0215161623_1_.jpg

About 2 weeks later, 5 weeks, into bloom, only about 3 more weeks until harvest
0302160838b_HDR.jpg

Buds starting to fill out, and trichomes really starting to get thick on the leaves a few days later.

0306161046b_HDR.jpg

0306161002_HDR.jpg

A week later.
0312160932.jpg

And right before we cut the tops off, we then let the bottom colas go about a week longer as the trichs weren't quite done.

0317161330d.jpg

After the tops cut off.

0320161453_1_.jpg

In total, we got about 1.5oz of solid buds, and about 3/4 oz smaller but smokeable buds.

0320161530d.jpg

And then all done. Planning to reveg, I left a number of bud sites intact on the bottom 3 branches.

0325162012.jpg

So..now on to the fun part, the reveg. We pulled out the plant, trimmed all the roots down to a 3 inch wide root ball and gave her new soil, and put her back into 18/6 lighting.

Started with a quarter strength fertilizer that had a little bit of both veg and bloom nutes. We weren't quite sure what to expect with the reveg, but knew that we would soon be receiving an absurd amount of sunlight that would help in our efforts.

After a few weeks of not seeing any developments except decaying of old leaves, some new ones finally started to show on one of the branches.

0412161742_HDR.jpg

We started giving her full strength nutes and she began getting much more sunshine after a rainy/snowy spring. She pretty much stayed the same, with the addition of a few mangy leaves every once in a while. The pic below is two weeks later.

0426160809a_HDR.jpg

But then, she flipped the switch so to speak and began to grow at an exponential rate. 7 days later...

0503160904a.jpg

3 days later

0506160942b.jpg

2 days later
0508161457b.jpg

4 days. We are now a month and a half from the original harvest, and one month from the sign of the first revegged leaves.
0512160855a.jpg

Now, I could see that she was growing healthy, but damn.

3 days later..

0516161050.jpg

Pistils already coming in!
0516161051b.jpg

4 days later, even during some rainy days she was growing and bulking up.

0520161710.jpg

We decided at this point to clone her, and cutting off some of the top colas to help it canopy.

0521161834d.jpg

How she looked after the cloning.

0521161903a.jpg

0521161917_HDR.jpg

0521161923.jpg

6 days after cloning and topping, she didn't slow down at all.
0527160950.jpg

0527160950_HDR.jpg

4 days later, she's becoming a monster. She's now at least twice the size of when we originally put her into bloom. We are now exactly 2 months from harvesting originally.

0531160924.jpg

0531160937.jpg

LOOK AT THAT NEW GROWTH ON THE TRUNK!!!
It has nearly completely enveloped where we cut her off before revegging her. The trunk itself has tripled in diameter in only 30 days.

0531160938.jpg

So that's it for now! I'll definitely keep this thread going, and let you know the difference from the original harvest vs. the reveg harvest. We are planning to start the bloom cycle in about 3 weeks - by then we expect she'll be over 60 inches tall given her current growth rate of nearly an inch a day! And then she will be enjoying that hot long summer sun to give her ridiculous buds this time around.

Thanks for reading, and stay posted! Anyone else have similar experiences revegging??

A few more updated pictures. This is one week since the last ones were taken. She is now 34" inches tall from the soil, she's going to be an absolute stunner. We might have to start blooming early, or she will take up my entire sunroom.

This is a fun picture - it shows how big the stem was when we revegged her - and the size of it now.

0606161058b.jpg

34" inches tall - and growing over an inch per day on the main colas.

0606161059.jpg

It has now been 2 weeks since we topped some of the main colas, and the new ones that took their place are 14" inches from the joint to the cola top. Even though these shoots are only about 14 days old, they already have pistils coming out of nearly every joint after the 4th node.

0606161059b.jpg

Just a quick update:

Been 10 days since I posted - she is growing at an incredible pace. So much so, we decided we're going to do the switch on the solstice (June 21). She is now 42 inches tall, and each cola is still growing at over an inch per day.

We defoliated a bit around the trunk - a lot of little stems and leaves - we cloned about half a dozen again from them. Trunk is now 3/4" in diameter.

0616160831_HDR.jpg

Some more updates!

We built a bigger box, because she had completely outgrown her wardrobe box. Again, we went and got a U-haul mega wardrobe box and an emergency mylar blanket to cover it for reflectivity. We then opened up the two boxes, making a new home with 4 times the volume area.

We moved it into the sunroom, so she can stay there for the entirety of her bloom, opening up the box to let the sun in and closing it when she needs the dark.

0617161418.jpg

Dog for scale - she's about 65 pounds.

0616162254.jpg

She's so vibrant and healthy - I haven't found one nutrient deprived leaf or stem in a few weeks.

0616162256_HDR.jpg

So here we go! Right at the solstice - she'll be blooming under the intense July and August sun. I cut out the supplemental nitrogen nute (Calmax) for the last two feeds. Will start giving her bud ignitor, bud candy, and bud overdrive variably over the next 8 weeks. She took right around 60 days to fully bloom last time, so we should have a nice harvest come late August!

Another update!

After 36 hours of darkness, we pulled her out of her home to begin giving her a daily dose of afternoon sunshine. Looking really good this time, the pistils started showing up on all the nodes almost immediately.

0622161846.jpg

And look at that trunk!! You can barely see the 'old' stem from where we cut her after last harvest, as the new growth has completely enveloped it.

0622162005.jpg

What a stunner - certainly glad my windows are mostly hidden from the ground and other apartments because of the tall trees below us (we are mostly above the tree canopy in the front of our condo building).

0622161923_HDR.jpg

And for some fun, we decided to increase our garden for the rest of the summer, with these plants receiving little to no artificial light. We will, for the most part, keep them inside the sunroom, letting them bloom naturally..

0621161802a.jpg

The three little guys to the left of my hydro tomatoes are random bag seeds that we got from a friend - and low and behold they are kicking ass 3 weeks later. Unknown strain, but it surely has some OG roots as the seedlings are already pretty stinky on the leaves (the storm trooper smells much more piney, and you have to get pretty close to the leaves to smell it).

The 3 on the right side of the picture, and the one closest to the camera on the left on the table, are all clones we've taken from the Storm Trooper - they are finally starting to grow new leaves exponentially, and now all have a full dose of regular nutes and alternating water feeds, looking for these to explode over the next month.

The tallest plant on the far right is a clone given to us, grandaddy purple. She is lanky, and stinky, and as such we're going to bloom her sooner rather than waiting for less than 13 hours of daylight (Somewhere around mid September). I might put our results from this one in another journal.

Thanks everyone who has stopped by and read this journal - hopefully I can inspire some other folks who have similar living attributes (high-rise lots of sun condos) to grow their own plants with minimal investment. Stay tuned!!!

It's day 10 of blooming - Expect full hairy white pistils to be everywhere in a matter of days.

You can see she's already crowding her box. I'm not quite sure what to do with the LED light I have in there, as I'm not really relying on it for usable lumens per se as she gets plenty of sun, but more to keep the lighting consistent). But there's almost no room for it.
20160630_135457.jpg

This is the bottom most cola, pistils coming in full force.
20160630_135756.jpg

And a look at the tallest cola. Expecting a monstrous final bud on this guy.

20160630_185716.jpg

Thought I'd measure the leaves - the bigger ones on each cola are right around 6 inches long!

20160630_185120.png

Been a week since I gave last update, so here it goes:

Day 17 into bloom, the pistils are coming in full force. Some of them have even started turning amber color, about 2 weeks earlier than the original bloom. But she's been developing pistils for months now, so hopefully it's just her maturity showing ;)

20160708_160845.jpg

She's certainly slowed down her vertical growth speed (thankfully, I have no where else to put her!) But really starting to put her juices into those buds - I've been trimming some yellow fan leaves this week that were towards the middle and bottom.

20160708_160854.jpg

A view of one of the top colas (about 12 of these big guys on the plant). We gettin excited!!!!

20160708_171241.jpg

Another update!

24 days into bloom this time. Starting to get really interesting :circle-of-love:

20160714_143814.jpg

Blooming everywhere! One thing I did notice is that the new leaves around the colas are starting off incredibly thin - especially compared to all the other leaves. I've done some research, and it looks to be heat problems. And that makes sense - as that sunroom has been over 95 degrees for quite a few days lately. Could that be the problem?

20160715_085455.jpg

The first trichs are starting to come in on the new leaves however! Really looking good up close, by this time next week it should look like Christmas morning on these nugs.

20160714_143746.jpg

More buds than I can count!

This one below was just taken this morning on my way out to work.

20160715_085537.jpg

See everyone next week!

Another week, another update!

The buds are starting to get super sticky, and filling out like champs. She's at 31 days into bloom stage, so just nearly halfway there. Going to start adding some Bud overdrive to her diet for a few weeks!

20160722_090431.jpg

20160722_090333.jpg

She's massive, and starting to smell soooo nice. She has a really fruity/piney smell to her, so it's quite lovely to smell her when we open up the sunroom.

20160722_084615.jpg

Getting so close! Must, be, patient!

5 and a half weeks, 38 days into bloom. Looks like most of the leaves have finished growing, and the buds are now just packing on weight every day. It's been wicked hot here (like everywhere else), putting my sunroom in the almost too hot category, the new leaves have been really thin and stringy.

Just began giving her Bud Overdrive along with her other bloom nutes (big bud, bud candy), and you can already tell the difference.

These pics were was taken 4 days ago - a view of the top colas - starting to really fill the entire cola out with delicious THC

20160726_200042.jpg

20160725_211331.jpg

A quick look at the trunk - it's been getting woodier everyday. I've been contemplating carving it into a wood pipe after the chop - the shape really lends itself to being a great piece.

20160725_211237.jpg

Ok, more bud photos - cause that's what everyone really wants anyways right? Taken this morning.

20160729_093159.jpg

20160729_093837.jpg

7 WEEKS INTO BLOOM!:loopy:

, and the buds are starting to look like the final product. I'm giving her one final dose of bloom nutes today before giving her just water (and overdrive) to finish her out. There are plenty of new pistils coming out of all the buds still, so she still has some growing and fattening left to do.

The buds are much denser than last time, and much bigger (of course). While the main cola branches are plenty strong to hold up this weight, the lower ones are starting to droop - might be time to tie these up.

20160806_195932.jpg

And a lovely sunset we had the other day.
20160804_192933.jpg

BUDS!!!!

20160808_082630.jpg

20160808_083505.jpg

Amazing. Great plant. You gonna reveg her again. Hahaha should be possible right?

Sent from my E5803 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

We've actually been contemplating it this whole time. While I'm sure it would be possible - I'm not entirely sure if the end results would be worth it. From my experience thus far - the benefit for reveg vs clones/seeds is that the veg state - after it recovers fully - seems to be much more vibrant. I was getting over an inch growth vertically per day once in full veg mode - whereas before it was much more modest. The established root structure is the advantage here I believe, along with the sturdiness of the existing trunk has been beneficial this time with the extra weight and size.

So we'll see - I have another plant 4 weeks into bloom, and a dozen others between 5 and 2 weeks into veg, so my space is going to be crowded as is. I'll definitely post here if we do!

Day 53 Folks!

According to what information I could find on the strain (I was given this clone from a friend), we should be just about done. :slide:

Storm Trooper - Cannabis Strain Report

However, based on our last grow I'm going to let it go for another week before chopping, putting it at 59 days or so, or a little more than 8 weeks total in bloom. BTW.. if you have not checked out that site before - do it! Pretty awesome to see a family tree and wheel that breaks down your particular strain's genetics, many times all the way back to the original landrace strains that contributed to its ancestors. But I digress.

She has been fed just water and overdrive for the last week - and will be finishing with just water following a full flush today.

The last few days the buds have been filling out within the internode space - making some impressive flowers on the cola. The pistils are starting to swell and fill in what little space is now between the buds. Our condo has the most lovely consistent lemony sugarcane smell. It's amazing!

20160811_184525.jpg

20160812_085915.jpg

The cola below had quite a few dying leaves and a minor bug issue - so I went and trimmed most of the leaves off - exposing what will be roughly its final size.

This time around -the buds are DENSE NUGGETS compared to the first bloom. You can't squish the buds any tighter than they already are - and the trichs are sticky icky.

20160811_144530.jpg

20160811_145020.jpg

20160811_093919.jpg

Back
Top Bottom