HISD Plans Drug Searches At Employee Parking Lots

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Texas: Move Comes After More Teachers Arrested On Drug Charges

The Houston school district plans to dispatch drug-detecting dogs to every campus in coming weeks in search of illegal narcotics in employee parking lots.

The move, which Superintendent Abelardo Saavedra announced Monday, follows a recent string of teacher drug arrests, many prompted by anonymous tips, in the state's largest school district.

Since October, Houston Independent School District police have arrested a dozen employees - mostly teachers - accused of having marijuana in their cars at school and three employees accused of possessing prescription drugs without documentation, according to updated data from the district. Two employees were arrested twice, and an assistant principal has been charged with growing marijuana at home.

Saavedra said the district is moving to fire the employees in cases where there is sufficient evidence. "This is a matter of great concern to us and we wanted to make sure that our community understood that we will take whatever action is necessary to make sure our schools are safe," Saavedra said at a news conference, where he was joined by representatives from employee organizations.

Saavedra said he does not think the drug problem is severe enough to implement random drug testing of the district's 12,000 teachers, but said district officials would consider additional action after the widespread searches of employee parking lots.

Civil liberties issues

Only bus drivers, police officers and other security personnel are subject to random drug tests under HISD policy. Chuck Robinson, executive director of the Congress of Houston Teachers, said he was a bit concerned about the drug-dog searches violating civil liberties. But, he said, "we have to maintain the public confidence and trust in our employees."

Houston-area school districts vary in how they dispatch drug dogs.

Some, including Aldine, Cypress-Fairbanks and Fort Bend, focus mostly on catching students, rather than employees.

"We have limited funding and the funding is targeted on the student lockers and the student parking lots," said Cy-Fair spokeswoman Kelli Durham. "If we got a tip, we can handle that in many ways when it's an adult."

No employees in Cy-Fair ISD, the third-largest school district in Texas, have been arrested on drug charges this school year, Durham said.

Officials with the Alief, Aldine, Clear Creek, Fort Bend and Pasadena school districts also reported no teacher arrests when contacted by the Houston Chronicle. Leticia Fehling, an Aldine spokeswoman, said the district sends drug dogs to sniff lockers and other areas at middle and high school campuses. The dogs are sent to elementary campuses when invited, she said, but the district does not do random searches of employee parking lots.

"We view it as a constitutional privacy issue - just simply going out there not having a tip on a particular teacher or teachers," Fehling said.

Are all districts reporting?

Kevin Quinn, a regional director for the National Association of School Resource Officers, said he did not see a legal problem with randomly searching employee lots.

"Basically, all they're doing is sniffing the public air around the car, so there is no warrant needed," he said. Quinn, whose region includes Texas, said Houston ISD's drug problem might appear worse than in other districts because HISD is voluntarily releasing information to the media and is targeting employee parking lots.

"The fact of the matter is that they're reporting it to the media," he said of HISD. "I'm sure it happens in other places. You just don't hear about it."

HISD also has more employees - about 28,000 - than other area districts. The latest arrests occurred at Yates High School on Monday morning, shortly before Saavedra announced his plan to conduct drug searches at all 300 or so campuses. Two teachers at Yates were accused of having marijuana in their cars, while the other arrest involved prescription drugs.

Tarnishing reputations

Gayle Fallon, president of the Houston Federation of Teachers, which represents some of the arrested teachers, said a couple of them suspect the marijuana belonged to their own children or other family members. She advised teachers to have their cars detailed if their teenagers drove them and to keep a copy of prescriptions on hand. By law, having such substances near school grounds is a heightened violation.

"This is tarnishing the reputation of teachers across the state of Texas and definitely HISD," Fallon said.

The marijuana arrests have involved employees from Lee High, Whittier Elementary, Wheatley High, Williams Middle, Woodson Middle, Worthing High and Yates High and the food service department, according to a report provided by the district Monday. Woodson, Yates and the food service department also had arrests involving prescription drugs. Not all the employees have been charged.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Houston Chronicle (TX)
Copyright: 2008 Houston Chronicle Publishing Company Division, Hearst Newspaper
Website: Houston news, entertainment, search and shopping | chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Author: Ericka Mellon

User, Michigan legislators had voted in a dog sniffing law here in our state.I think it was a preemptive strike givin the fact they knew that prop-1 would pass. This new law allows police to run dogs around your private property including around your house. I am sure they wont be sniffing out child predators rather than the guy or gal growing a little stash.Another fine example of the system gone wrong.!!! But Bro, you think thats scary check this out. The federal government has at its disposal a BRIGADE of ARMY troops on standby should they need to be deployed anywhere in the United States. This Brigade of soliders 4,000 strong will just chill in thier barracks until they get the mission sent down to squash whatever they deem to be civil unrest in our country! These soliders will not be deployed anywhere but to the streets of America when deemed needed. That tells me things are about to get shity here in the U.S.A. You never here these alarming reports in mainstream media for good reason.

Bro, looked all over for it as well came up empty handed.I remember it was featured in a news story on one of our local t.v. stations. those stations are t.v.9-10 and t.v. 7-4 ya we get the same channel twice very small market area. ;)

i just did a google looking for something on the dog law you mentioned and couldn't find anything. if you should find a link to it that would be great. i wouldn't want to miss that story.

Here's a couple stories about it...

Michigan Court: OK for Police Drug Dogs to Sniff Around Your Home | DBKP - Death By 1000 Papercuts - DBKP

Michigan court: a drug dog sniffing at your door isn’t an illegal search | NORML's Daily Audio Stash

As long as we're on the subject, here's an expose about the unreliability of drug dogs.

Does The Nose Know? , Some Drug And Bomb-Sniffing Dogs Are Unreliable. - CBS News

I think I'd be planting onions and or buying a fence

Awesome information here guys especially for anyone here from Michigan! I am personally from Canada and the more articles I read about the American War on Drugs the more sick I get from in-taking all the garbage. I truly feel sorry for how the U.S Government treats its people and can only hope that Canada never takes up the same war.

The fact that courts in Michigan will let the cops use the drug dogs around a private residence would have our founding fathers rolling over in their graves; like a 45 rpm record

Back
Top Bottom