Home Made LED Panels

I believe that I have seen this grow now with out the LEDs check out the grow journals I think that this will work eventually but just not quite yet.
I do not think the frequencies are right unless you use white and then they are not getting enough light because they can not use it all.:smokin:
But very much thanks to all the people willing to try:peace:

Kudos pan4. If it weren't for those dedicated to doing research, we'd all be trying to grow under kerosene lanterns. Thanks for your willingness to experiment. Really interesting stuff.

Yes I want to get back to this I have 500 red/blue leds, 3w leds, and some 1w. I need more.:cool:

anyone heard any thing new on this LED project hey pan4 are you going to suprise us by showing up at the baseball park in SF on opening day by committing stoner terrorism and stealing the wood bats and replacing them with monster LED grown colas... we wish

So do I:smokin:

I believe that I have seen this grow now with out the LEDs check out the grow journals I think that this will work eventually but just not quite yet.
I do not think the frequencies are right unless you use white and then they are not getting enough light because they can not use it all.:smokin:
But very much thanks to all the people willing to try:peace:

Thanks mc_trump
I have also looked at white led arrays 25w very spendy . My money is leaning towards RGB leds and modulating the frequency to produce what ever color is needed. Even sunrise and sunset.:grinjoint:

Pan4

that sounds great but I doubt that you could do that right now and spend less than 10,000 dollars but maybe down the road I am not willing to spend that much.
So it sounds like they have the technology now they just need cost control LOL :cheer:

The photo spectrum:

So as you can see:
Make up of an ideal led panel:
2% UVB Leds for resin and tric production. 380mn
6% Royal Blue Leds 455mn
12% Blue Leds 470mn
30% Red Leds 627mn
50% Far Red leds 660mn

Pan4

To much far red, the plants use red/far red ratio to determine if they are under the canopy. Sunlight has way more red then far red, but most of the red is absorbed by the plants so underneath far red dominates. Also, there are helper molecules that allow chlorophyll a to respond to a wider range of reds in while in the plant.

I don't know about UVB, hid lights have none of it. It may not be necessary.

To much far red, the plants use red/far red ratio to determine if they are under the canopy. Sunlight has way more red then far red, but most of the red is absorbed by the plants so underneath far red dominates. Also, there are helper molecules that allow chlorophyll a to respond to a wider range of reds in while in the plant.

I don't know about UVB, hid lights have none of it. It may not be necessary.

The mix of leds is based on.
A sunlight
B intensity of leds

Example
So to get 1 par @ 660nm I need 8 leds of that type
but @ 627mn I need 2 leds for 1 par
@ 470mn 1 led is 2 par

My Hid has uvb if not I would add some. UVB causes increased resin production from a protection mechanism by the plant.

Pan4

Good luck with your project, as a guy that's built a system using the 5 watt power LED's I can tell you one thing, don't build it without considering the other frequencies of light the plants like. You should think about red/orange, and amber. I also think you went too high on your blue count. I went with a 3/10 blue to red. LED's do work though, so don't let the na-sayers throw you off track, and going with the narrow beem will help, but the high watt units I used really get through the plants right to the bottom leaves.

amber produces alot of hermies

Yes I'll take that into consideration, the amber/hermie thing that is. I've been looking into other LED's out there besides CREE, I used Ledengin myself. Try Mouser at Mouser.com for these, and others as well. They will have everything you need, like resistors. Yes you do have to heat sink any power LED, but that's no big deal, just go to Menards, or Home Depo, and buy some angle aluminum, and some channels. Just so you have at least 3/16 inch under them, the more aluminum, the cooler they run. Buy the LED's on stars for easy soldering, and mounting. They do take a lot of current to run, so I built a high voltage DC supply, and run long lines in series, and built in current regulation to keep away from thermal runaway.
One last thing, the Ledengin LED's say they are good for 100,000 hours, that's 25 years at 12 hr a day if I did my math right.

So tech, when you going to throw up a pic of your set-up??? I mean we hear so much about it, that now I just can't wait to see it.... Hook us up with a pic..... I will even say please........ PWEEEEEEEASEEEEEEE

Sorry to all those that would like a picture. My wife would kill me if she knew I was even on a sight like this, let alone trying to take pictures, and posting them. If I do get the opertunity some day I will post them, but that day will be hard to find. She's like a hawk.

Sorry to all those that would like a picture. My wife would kill me if she knew I was even on a sight like this, let alone trying to take pictures, and posting them. If I do get the opertunity some day I will post them, but that day will be hard to find. She's like a hawk.

They were just trying to play dumb and make fun of you. They wouldn't care if you showed them or not.

Re-read what they wrote again.

Hi i was just wondering if you did anything else with the LED's i was thinking about getting the 90watt UFO lights there Tri spec not sure how good they are just wondering what you think about them

Wow Thing's that happened while I was sick.:whoa:

As of now I would not recommend buying a UFO. IMO buy a HID or a Cfl you get more lumen's for the money and your plants get a wider photo spectrum.:grinjoint:
:hmmmm:The problem is that led have a very narrow spectrum and lack some of the key frequency's that the plant's require.
Please read over the journals we all have different ways of doing thing's and you could save some money learning from our screw up.LOL

Let's all get out to VOTE in the 420 Contest's Here

Pan4

Thanks yeah i read some more from a few other threads too and it seems like ufo lights maybe its because they need some diff lights or whatever but i dont think the current 90watt ufo is same as a 400 watt maybe a 200watt not really sure would be very intrested in Techs led set up with the 4 diff kind of lights.

Well have u checked out rotor or colosiem's any? my orginal idea was 4 ufo for flowering in a 6x6 room so now all confused lol

Yes it's very confusing inferno420. IMO a 600W HID would be great in that 6x6 area. It's to bad that I no longer have a big pile of money that I did when I started this thread the stock market soured and we all are paying.:grinjoint:

Pan4

Ok Inferno420, I didn't say I have all 4 frequencies in place yet. It's a money thing right now, but it started as a lack of information. I think the manufacturers of the LED pannels for sale were lacking as well. So as of this time I'm only running blue 465nm and red 625nm. When I started buying the parts a year ago that was the thinking of the time, at least the info I could find. Having said that, I am running a little over 210 watts right at the LED's not counting power supply losses (about 250 with the PS).
Here's what I'm learning about it, first I already have plans to step it up, so for right now there's not much sence in doing some big journal. Having said that I'll also tell you I've run 400 MH before with the same eb and flow system for a couple years, then a combo 400MH/600HPS, so I already know what to expect from each, and how my plants work under them. And so far I've only done one run under LED's, and am on a second, but still have not upgraded. Under the 210 blue red my first results were a little better than the 400MH by itself, but not close to the 1/4lb buds under the 1000 combo. Here's what I don't understand about all the Ney Sayers out there on LED's, and to the manufactures out there that might be reading these lines. People always want something for nothing. They see LED's are going to save them money, and the manufactures tell you that you can. But they lie. I believe LED's are the future, but I've been saying all along there's a need for more of the right frequencie's, but even more is the need for more power. They tell you that 100 watts will replace a 400MH. The more I see on this I find it leans more to 150 watts of LED's to do this. And to the people out there, if you are already running a couple of 400's, or bigger, why would you think small on LED's. All I've ever tried to say on this is step it up if you want to get results. Think of how much of an upgrade it would be to spend that same 400 watts to the electric company if you were getting the light potential of 1200, what an upgrade.

Thanks for that info tech i was thinking about same thing well i was thinking when its said and refined that the total watt that will replace 600 hps will be around 280 or 300. oh yeild wise how did your 250 do aginst the 400?

So how much are 5watt bulbs i mean white light bulbs thinking about trying to make something.

hey pan4 so do u think i would need a track to cover a 6x6 area with that 600watt?

and i been looking at the omgea rotor garden i dont think it will do what i want but there is a few diff off brands there is that one that holds 360 plants and there is one that is just a lil bigger thats called a gi grow. then there is colisoem grows where here put in vertical, all these are sog so not realy sure has anyone here used or checked out any of them?

Yes led will the future. Even with over 500 led's and yes even 2 70w panels made from 5 watt luxeon led's I can't get near to my current light levels from a HID or growth rates. My current line of research is leaning towards an array of RGB led's to provide all the frequency's needed for plant growth. The cool part about it is the ability to mimic sunlight even sunrise and sunset. But I need a pile of money to find a solution I even have contacts in China at the plants that make the led's.:grinjoint:

Pan4

Thanks for that info tech i was thinking about same thing well i was thinking when its said and refined that the total watt that will replace 600 hps will be around 280 or 300. oh yeild wise how did your 250 do aginst the 400?

So how much are 5watt bulbs i mean white light bulbs thinking about trying to make something.

hey pan4 so do u think i would need a track to cover a 6x6 area with that 600watt?

and i been looking at the omgea rotor garden i dont think it will do what i want but there is a few diff off brands there is that one that holds 360 plants and there is one that is just a lil bigger thats called a gi grow. then there is colisoem grows where here put in vertical, all these are sog so not realy sure has anyone here used or checked out any of them?

Yes there is 2 thread's on the rotor garden WheelOFortune's - first turn and Omega Garden's Volksgarden Rotary Garden
1000 watt may be better.:grinjoint:
I hope that helps.

Pan4

Back
Top Bottom