How did she turn Hermie?

WheelieBob

Boy do I feel like an idiot....

Here I was ready to take some trichome samples- feeling great about my first grow, looking forward to the nice little harvest I was going to have in a few days....

I don't know when or even how, but my girl turned hermie on me. Things started off shitty when I noticed that one of my lower branches was drooping way down. We had a good amount of rain and evidently the branch/buds soaked up too much water and broke. I snipped the branch off, looked at the rest of my plant to see if there was any other damage. Aside from listing a little more than I liked, the rest of my girl was fine.... so I thought.

I gathered a few snips for my trichome testing and took everything up to my pc & usb microscope. Took several pictures, but it seems like the heavy rain had an effect on the tri's- many of their heads/caps were gone!

I went to the broken branch, thinking I could find some better samples there. I cut one of the small buds off, and when it dropped into the container I was holding- a seed popped out!

That was about 15 minutes ago... I am blown away that it happened, and I never noticed it. I can't think of how I stressed her out, everything seemed like it was going well.

There are only 2 things I can come up with that may have played a role, and I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback on if either of these actions would result in turning her hermaphroditic.... OR, any other ideas!

1. A few weeks ago, I noticed some aphids, and a random inchworm or 2 on her. I proceeded to do what I've done with pests on other plants- I sprayed her with water & dawn dish detergent- BAD MOVE. The next day I discovered I messed her up, as the leaves appeared to be burned by it. It didn't look too bad, but I sprayed her down with a water bottle mister, several times over the next few days. The ensuing days, I lost ends of many leaves, but the buds looked fine. I thought I had dodged a bullet.

2. I next checked online here, looking for low-impact insecticides. I saw that Spinosad was a good bug killer, and is good on caterpillars, which I wanted to make sure I got rid of. I bought Bonide's Capt. Jacke Dead Bug Brew and, following the directions, gave her a once over- on top of the leaves and under.

I have no idea if either of these actions stressed her enough to turn her hermie. I seriously doubt the bug brew did any harm at all, but right now I feel like the totally Noob that I am and am grasping at anything!

From what little I know, it is also possible that she caught a random male pollen and got pregger. It also could be that she was a hermie seed, as this was a collection of bag seeds whose genetics/origins are anybody's guess.

Needless to say, I should harvest her first thing in the morning, correct??

Also, I had planned on Re-Vegging her in order to get a clone from her. Should I even bother now that this has happened?

As you can probably tell by reading this, I am all freaked out by this- I'm sure it's part of the learning process, but totally didn't see this coming. I knew that there is risk when planting seeds from unknown origins, but thought that if she was hermie, she would have changed by now. I don't know. That's the most frustrating part of all this- I JUST DON'T KNOW!

The one thing I have learned early on in this experience: the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know! Gonna sign off on that note- time for a few deep rips off the gnob and call it a day.

Thanks to the folks here who've been giving me feedback and advice on my trichomes- sorry this was a waste.:thanks:

I am humbled, but determined I will be back at it!
:peace::Namaste:

Trichomes pics BEFORE everything went to shit....

TriSep21c.jpg
TriSep21b.jpg
TriSep21-Lower2.jpg
TriSep21-Lower1.jpg
SeedPod921.jpg

SeedPod921.jpg

AND THEN I SAW THIS:

Bud921closeup.jpg
LowerBudSeedPod_.jpg
FreekinSEED921.jpg

Plant does not look like a hermie at all, hopefully you won't find many more seeds, check the rest of the bud you think it fell from for more seeds, sometimes female plants will make what's called a "false seeds" in an effort to reproduce at the end of it's bud cycle. If you find more reg. size seeds, I would say the plant is NOT worthy of re-vegging,to make clones. Let the plant go longer if you find more seeds, you could use the seeds and try for a female, bummer dude. But it could be nothing to worry about. Everybody has a train wreck of some sort with a first grow. You still have nice looking bud, the trichomes are not quite done, minimal amber in recent pics, sample a different part of the plant, that is more mature/older growth.:headbanger:

NOT A HERMIE, it's a pregnant girl. looks like you got pollinated, pollen flies everywhere, a neighbor of yours must have grew a boy and you got some airborne pollen. this is NOT hermie, it's a pollinated female, a hermie is a female that grows male parts, you have NO male parts so it is NOT a hermie. Let the seeds mature so you can start over from seed, the bud will still be good after another week or 2, this is a hermie pic that I googled for you, u do not have this, you have no pollen sacks/balls

Back
Top Bottom