How long before new seed can be planted?

GreatLife4All

I just had a plant go hermie on me and pollinate some of the other plants in the same tent.

Not too much damage but I have ended up with what looks to be several dozen viable seeds. I plucked them from the bud and put them on a tray in my grow room - no direct light. Humidity is about 50%.

How long till they dry and should be stored?

How long before I can plant them?

Any words from the wise on storage?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help educate me.

GL4A

Hi, Greatlife4all :ciao:

I have received quite a few seeded buds in the last months.

Freshly cured and locally grown. I collected all the viable seeds.

I planted 18 pretty much straight away and all germinated.

I think keeping them cool, dry and dark is best for storage,

I don't think they need an "overwintering"

Equatorial weed grows all year round!

Thank you my friend. Experience means everything.

I'm afraid those seeds you have will carry the hermaphrodite trait and so will produce more hermies so they really aren't worth planting and would be best used to feed a parakeet if you have one

If you still want to go ahead you could plant them and be extra vigilant in rooting them out and leaving just virgin sensi girls but get it even slightly wrong and the whole crop can be ruined by just a few male flowers.

As regards storage, the bottom compartment in the fridge is fine as they should be cool but not at freezing point and good healthy and fully mature seeds usually can be germinated as soon as they are collected as I've many times seen seedlings emerge from the soil in pots of pollinated girls that dropped a few seeds before I cut the plant down.

Hope this helps :)

I'm afraid those seeds you have will carry the hermaphrodite trait and so will produce more hermies so they really aren't worth planting and would be best used to feed a parakeet if you have one

In some ways that is correct, but all cannabis plants carry a hermaphrodite trait.

I think it depends on how the female produced pollen and why.

For example, if a female goes to long in flower, or becomes stressed late in flowering,

she produces so-called 'nanners. false male flowers which contain female pollen.

If this pollen pollinates the same bud it grows from, there is perhaps a higher chance of a hermie,

due to all the same genes being mixed together,

but if it pollinates another plant, then surely the tendency is greatly reduced.

Lots of grows on :420: are done with seeds people find after a harvest, often from only one plant.

There are lots of different theories, but everyone lives in their own bubble of experience.

I would rather grow out the seeds and see for myself.

That is why we are here.

To grow and experience and learn from each other.

:circle-of-love:

Just wind your neck in mate.

He had a hermaphrodite and didn't report a few nana's and as such the seeds will produce hermie's so don't talk of bubbles of misconception please.

I made my first seeds in 1972 and in 40 years of breeding and doing crosses and knowing many breeders we none of us grow out seed intentionally containing hermaphrodite genes because it's just dumb and I speak from experience and from the experience of others
so no hearsay or rumour used here.

I wasn't criticising you, Rockster. :peace:
I'm sure you are a very good breeder, with lots of experience :thumb:

Of course you don't grow out the hermaphrodite gene, you try to suppress it.

But any plant will turn hermie in response to stress, to further its genetic code.

It happens in nature all the time.

Hermaphrodite Plant Info: Female Seeds but...

:Namaste:

I made my first seeds in 1972 and in 40 years of breeding and doing crosses and knowing many breeders we none of us grow out seed intentionally containing hermaphrodite genes because it's just dumb and I speak from experience and from the experience of others

Other breeders fetch top dollar selling seeds from their hermies. Feminized seeds go for almost double the price of "regular" seeds and we can't get feminized seeds unless the plant hermies. Hell, all the plants in my profile pics came from hermies and they were delicious!

I store my seeds in those old plastic film containers and place that in a cool dark area. They can be used immediately and/or stored for later. I've popped seeds kept that way several years after collection.

He had a hermaphrodite and didn't report a few nana's and as such the seeds will produce hermie's so don't talk of bubbles of misconception please.

I am the one who produced the hermies - not the plants fault. These are the same genetics I have been running for nearly a year now without any issues. Here is the thread where I discuss what happened: I have a Hermie.

After doing research on the issue, I am in agreement with Rico. Every plant carries the genes for hermaphrodite - so the potential is present in every plant. Whether or not that potential is expressed is, in large part, contingent on the environment that the plant is grown in. I did not provide a good environment... and the plant produced some nanners.

BUt Rockster is also correct... some plants will take very little disturbance to their environment before they hermie... others won't hermie no matter how much you screw up (it seems). If I had taken these genetics from a bag of weed that I had bought - I wouldn't use them because I don't know the parentage... and it could be bad genetics or bad environment. No way to tell unless I know where it came from.

And I am also in agreement with him that I should not be breeding as I lack the talent, facilities, and experience. So let me assure Rockster that I am not trying to step on toes or produce the worlds next super-pot. I am just curious more than anything.

Something bad happened to me. I would like to gain experience from this. And planting these out and growing a couple will help me to understand some things better.

So if Rockster's experience indicates that this will produce nothing but hermies despite environmental conditions... I won't plant it. If Rockster's experience indicates a higher chance of hermies... I will plant them and be very careful on environmental conditions.

Not looking for a fight Rockster. And I am very interested in your experiences as a breeder. Declare it hopeless and I will throw the seeds away. If there is no better chance of hermie than the parental stock - I am confident I can keep the environment good this time.

No matter what, thank you for your contribution Rockster - it is appreciated.

As a consumer of seeds, I appreciate the fact that you and your friends do this. From what I have read, your position as a breeder is exactly correct. I am not a breeder though... just a curious guy.

Just an update...

I went ahead and planted 10 seeds - five from various seed banks and five of my hermie stock.

All of the five commercial seeds have sprouted and only 1 of my seeds. Will give it a couple more days... but not the best for germination rate at this point.

The one seed that sprouted looks like a runt as well...

I now have a White Cheese plant.

Discarded all others. Tore apart the rapid rooter to take a look - they were swollen and had a thin film of slime on them. No activity after 7 to 8 days.

I will try some more later on. For now... I have all the new plants I can handle.

Missed your post Rico.

Yep... it worked. The plant is behind everyone else... but it was also the last to germinate.

I am preparing some thoughts on a journal. I find it best to have a purpose and to try and teach a lesson with each journal... even if only to myself.

I finally decided to purchase an LED light... so I would like to include some tests for this new light source as well. WIth the 420 Member discount - I got a great deal from @Perfect Gardens and @JJ Bones is a great guy to deal with.

Prompt, courteous, and honest with me... couldn't have asked for more :thumb:

White Cheese Seedling Picture

Looks good to me...

IMG_20131003_203732_539.jpg

Back
Top Bottom