How long can I let this go before harvest?

415friendly

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have this NYC Diesel Auto that's been growing since September 15th. Advertised as "7 weeks", it's been over 12.

It's really looking frosty, and I can see lots of cloudy trichomes, but not all. Pistils are mostly white, some are changing to orange, but only some. Some of the fan leaves are starting to turn purple, probably because of cold weather (it's a grow in my garage, temperatures get down to around 60F in there during lights out, but back up to 70F during lights on).

My problem: I'm going on vacation for in 1 week, gone for 2 weeks, back in the New Year.

I'd hoped to harvest on Thursday, and then leave them drying for the 2 weeks until I get back. Now I'm wondering if I should just let them keep growing and harvest in January instead. Any suggestions? My current feeling is to leave them until I get back.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Guess you have to flush it until next week then cut it down the day you leave. Just chop the main stalk, trim the leaf and hang it in the dark the day of. It'll be ready when you get back.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

68 off-78 lights on would do you much better. 60 is really too cool for the roots, I'm thinking that is what has pushed it to run long. Colder temps = slower metabolism. Warm your place up when you can & you will see them hit the "zone". Environment is KING. Control the weather

I maintain 73 degrees lights on and love the lights off at 50, i.am notice a lil color changes, some blues, and definitely a lil ambering on my baby, lights off can be low just not freezing. That will shock and kill her

Sent from my SM-J320P using 420

I maintain similar temps at finish. It's how I bring the colour out in Purple And Strawberry Kush. Works great for most strains.

68 off-78 lights on would do you much better. 60 is really too cool for the roots, I'm thinking that is what has pushed it to run long. Colder temps = slower metabolism. Warm your place up when you can & you will see them hit the "zone". Environment is KING. Control the weather

Well, I have a veg cabinet wired up with a heater that maintains a low of 71 with lights off and reaches a high of 74 with lights on, but I've been afraid to put a heater in my flowering tent, so it's just in my garage with air intake from my veg cabinet.

I lowered the level of my temperature probe in my flowering tent from canopy level down to root level. I was wrong; ambient temperature down there is 63 with lights on temperature of 71. I think the slow growth is just because I'm not a very good grower. :) My last grow, during the summer with high temperatures also ran longer than it was supposed to. There's something I'm doing that is not optimizing my grow conditions, but I don't mind right now. I could be underwatering; I have been limiting my runoff when drip feeding, which was probably not a great idea. Was my first experience with top feeding my plants, though. :D

Slow growth can be from many factors. Usually overwatering/poor drainage is the main culprit followed by nutrient toxicity. If using soil make sure it's loose and not compacted. The soil should be allowed to dry out on the top before rewatering. If unsure get a moister/ph probe. Constantly wet soil drowns the roots, prevents oxygen flow and can cause serious fungal/mold problems.
Your grow looks fine to me. Just wish you had 3 weeks to finish it to massive buds.
Keep in mind when a seed supplier says 6-8 weeks they're quoting absolute perfect conditions in hydroponics. In 20 years I've never done a grow in 6 weeks. Most take 10-12....even as long as 14 weeks if I'm doing a big SCROG from seed with lots of topping and training.

Oh. If you wanted to keep growing while you're away you can rig up a auto watering system with a pump, timer and a large water container. Probably more than 5 gallons needed for 2 weeks.

That's how I water. :)

I have a water pump on a timer that is fed from a 20gal garbage can and drip feeds the coco 3 times a day. I picked up a 40 gal can to do the two weeks of watering while I'm gone.

Well then you're ready to go then. Let it ride.
I just read that it's an Auto flower. It does seem unusual to run an auto 14 weeks. I stay away from auto but I hear you can give it 24 hours light from veg to flower. Massively increasing yields and shortening the lifecycle by weeks. Never tried it but Auto's carry the Ruderalis gene so they've evolved to flower under non-photoperiod conditions. Ruderalis originates from Northern Russia where the sunlight is often 24h in the summer followed by 24h dark in the winter.

Perhaps I was under the misunderstanding that the advertised "7 weeks" is from flowering, not from seed. I had thought that since you don't flip the autos, you would have no other time reference for when to flip. I went with the auto because it had advertised a shorter Flowering time, but perhaps that was a mistake. In any case, it allowed me to start some photos at the same time that were able to veg longer and will allow me to run a perpetual. It's crazy because two autos started at the same time, looked the same all during veg, but one of them flipped to flowering weeks before the other one did. The height difference is quite dramatic. You can see a couple of pics in my journal. I just wonder if autos consistently flip at the same time, given the same conditions, or if there's quite a bit more variation. I do know that I followed this other grow, (same strain, same seed company) and his plants took forever to finish, so maybe it's the genetics.

Turbo Stang - NYC Diesel CKS - DWC Hydro

I'm feeding with Green Planet 3 part feeding formula (Grow/Micro/Bloom), just following their recommended guide and using their Massive Bloom Formula in flowering. I have been a bit stingy with my watering, too.

Sounds great. I just wanted to be sure you were not over-nuting'. Some ppl go crazy with the nutrients...thinking more is better. One thing ppl don't usually understand is that very little nitrogen is needed in flower. Nitrogen will actually stunt the buds.
I've noticed that whenever I start from seed I get different flower/growth times. That's why I usually start with one seed as a mother then clone off of it. This will help especially with autos.

Back
Top Bottom