how the smell of marijuana changes as it dries

I love the smell of marijuana. the intoxicating aroma is perhaps the main reason I grow.

I have noticed that marijuana smell goes through changes as it dries. interesting. I have broken the smells into four categories so far. my experience with drying marijuana is extremely limited, one strain.

the four phases I have noticed so far..

1) fresh cut, smells like it did when it was still attached to it's mama.

2) drying hay. two days in. near no marijuana smell at all.

3) no smell at all. what the heck? where did the smell go? about four days in

4)back to smelling like marijuana but maybe a bit deeper and intense than when fresh cut. definately different than fresh cut though.

I bet there are more subtle phases as well. there is science there I am sure

I can't. wait to experiment with a different strain. I would say soon enough but seeds are still in the mail, so will not be soon,, cheers, nivek

What you are smelling is the oils that are produced by the plants glands(the same ones that produce cannabanoids) the smell is called Terpenes and they have different aromas depending on the strain grown. Terpenes are produced as a defense for the plants when growing to help repel predators and fungus. I just grew some Northern Lights and man were they smelly during the harvest but like you said it kind of disappeared during drying but after curing the smell changed to a more weed like smell. Depending on the strain you can have aromas of Mint, citrus, pine, and berries.

I never really experienced any "hay stage". Mine starts breaking down terpenes right after it's chopped down and hung. For the first 24 hours I'd say smell stays stronger and very intense, but there already different aromas than on a living plant. In the course of next 5-7 days most of the volatile terpenes oxide naturally, and the smell becomes less fresh and vivid, but totally new aromas emerge. For example I had a lot of nutmeg aromas on my two plants, and one went into this cinnamon thing after few days (which is the same family basically as it's myrcen), and the other into this piney/turpentine thing. When you start curing earlier you have more chances to keep more terpenes alive for a longer time, but you invite mold unfortunately. After two or three months bouquet will become stronger, but less complex anyway, and it's impossible to avoid that.

well, i have limited experience with the 'drying hay' stage, only one strain to experience, but this strain has it's nuances apparently, like most other strains, i guess.

it certainly demonstrates that the odour producing compounds on the bud are going through chemical changes while drying.

with only one plant ever grown indoors, i am certainly looking forward to experiencing the fabulous aroma's of other strains. cheers, kevin

High RH, bud washing, water curing will all damage terpenes cause weed to smell like hay or dried vegetable. I experienced that myself. The same applies temps higher than low 70s.

i think i know why the grassy smell, because i picked this bud a month early, maybe more,, it is hay

Back
Top Bottom