How to get more dense & high quality buds outdoors

re: How to get more dense & high quality buds outdoors

Everyone has the advice :) here is my Advice to you find a decent yielding strain that will grow good in your area , start couple of worm bin building up a nice compost of all natural products stay away from ingredients not native to your area and most importantly keep it simple
train your plants from the get go remember size of medium will always dictate Yield with that said have a good carbon ratio of 2 -1 Carbon to N ratio this is a perfect diet for microbes and worms there is absolutly no need for amendments
once you got everything in sink but this takes time for instance i start compost year before i use it
i then add 40 percent compost to 40 percent top soil 10 percent grass clippings 5 percent cardboard , and 5 percent worms to make up for any die off over the winter months
then its water / rain only planted in may harvested mid Nov 6 months water only :) when she starts to flower i will start pruning lower plant and lower and inner sucker buds on branches there will be lots this alone will send more energy to outter bud formation creating them buds your looking for i see no picture up load guess i need to upload to my Gallery before posting it here

Yo Jon Best of luck this season from another outdoor grower. I have not considered putting anything outdoors yet as we also have been having very cold nights. They may be behind us, you just never know. I am preparing all Indica plants for this seasons grow. I am in a farming area and plan to place my plants in the corn fields as soon as farmers do the last spray, end of June. Just wondering what type of cover you use to plant outdoors. I have never had luck in fencerows due to mice to deer, not to exclude any other creature. To all you seed developers, here is one that would be a great species, Round-Up Ready Cannabis seed.

Good advice DrFever :thumb:

Weekender, cannabis can sustain frostbites of -5 to -8°C which is around 23F to 18F, you just have to find the right strain. Well, mine took a try in December and won :laughtwo::tokin:

Im back, apologies guys been busy here with the move. My 2 original that got set out early and took all the weather hits. Well one set into flowering mode where our light was still roughly 11.5 /12.5 when they where set a food while. She still thinks she she flowering im just letting her go. The other reverted back to veg and is growing nicely. Not as nice as my second wave of clones. But still ok for me. We ended up getting to buy a nice farm here in our area. Hince why i have been so busy. So now i have land and mountains for days. Got all kinds of girls going in different stages. Have to get some photos soon as i can. All of my most mature outdoor girls are pushing 7ft.+ as of yeaterday actually. Even the stunted confused early girls is my height almost 6ft.. photos coming.

Honestly i just keep them close by untill there over 12 inches tall. After that ive never had any problems with pest deer/rabbit etc. The only pest that will bother full size plants here are groundhogs. And i put hair clippings and mothballs in pantie hose to tie near my girls this year and not had a single issue.

Over here the deer just love a 12 inch morsel of my work. As the stems grow and get more woody fiber the animals just stop eating on my stuff. Last year I lost around 33% of starts to deer, bout made me cry. So this season I have back ups, I am going to try to visit every two weeks and I will carry replacements. I think this will help me to be able to stick to my plan. Finding places that have no deer is just no option, I hunt them hard but one guy can not control them all.

Rabbits, squirrels, raccoons and cats digging around and sometimes shitting in there is a bigger problem than deer...
Coffee grinds and mothballs and sometimes chicken wire...

Grass fields are my biggest problem area. The field mice raise heck with starts, I am trying to go to where the critters do not go to, the middle of a crop field, not much there for the critters yet, they stick closer to cover, at least early in the farming season. As all crops grow, they get much tougher to harm once they are teenagers. Those fricking deer can come at anytime, they munch a little once the plants are older, they destroy young stuff. Oh yea they really piss me off.

Dang wild cats dig in my smart pots alot here lately. I just usually save my hair when my wife cuts it and it seems to donthe trick. Never heard of bud soacking in the moth ball smell. That may be an old wise tale. Take it with a grain of grain a salt though im not 100% on that. Is a good topic amd question.

But here are a few of my best clones. 6-7 footers around 8 weeks old from cut. Same bagseed strain ive had goin since dec 15.
20160613_165834.jpg

20160613_165615.jpg

As outdoor season is upon us in my neck of the woods. I have a few questions regarding how to get heavier, more dense buds out of my future crop.
Have a few years under my belt growing outdoors, so I know the basics and fundamentals of it.
Ok. . . Usually I start my plants in jiffy seedling pods or simply sow my seeds in large pots. (Seems to work fine for me) after my plants reach 6" to 1 foot I transplant to the ground and final resting spot for that plant.
Don't add any nutrients until there a couple feet tall and healthy. Even then I mostly only use a Comercial amonia nitrate blend ferry and or just simple miracle grow mix's such as bloom booster, flowering mix. And that's it other than topping them a couple times. I grow from bagseed collected during the year also, misc. Strains.
I harvest when 80% of the white hairs mature/darken in laterms sept- early oct usually. Dry on the stalk after cleaning them up (green). So dry, jar and cure 2-4 weeks. My problem is the product is always light and fluffy, not good weight or as dense as I'd like.
Does anyone have any tips or pointers to get heavier dense buds outdoors. Is it my nutes, my strains or techniques? They get plenty of light and are grown in proven good dark healthy soil. Thanks for any input ahead!

Fox farm nutes by their schedule. Beasties bloom

Hey Jon, thanks for this thread. Very useful info. Hey, do you have a pic of the entrance to your tunnel into the briar patch you could post? It might help folks understand the stealthiness of your briar patch planting idea.

Got 3 2x3" holes dug yesterday, 2/3 had good soil that I'm just gonna add stuff too. But one hole in a spot I really wanted to use is hard compact clay. I'm afraid it will turn into a pond. Anything you can do to help it stay drained this summer, or should I chalk it up and dig some where else? I've kicked the smart pot idea and just gonna grow in the ground. I plan to get 10 12'+ clones of a great bagseed strain Ive kept soul for this outdoor season. It's sativa dominant, grows tall, wide, and very fast. It's also one of the toughest I've grown indoors so far, so hopefully that will be the same outside. All my plants will be in the center of blackberry, thorn patches. No one around here is as dumb as my to tunnel through to the center of one. So they should get plenty of open sun, and no unwanted visitors, besides maybe a rabbits.

Well I have my starts in, just prior to some rains two days apart so I feel very good with my chances of plant survival. Here if I do not plant in the rain or within about 12 hours of a rain, my starts wither and die. Once the tap root on the seed plants makes it way into the soil it is hard to kill. So my next visit in a week or so will be to place nutes, very little and just make sure they are alive, maybe a little trim, but each plant has been trimmed twice so bushes are in order. I have Royal Queen- Skunk #1, Victory Seeds- Big Bud, Delicious Seeds- Black Sugar Rose and Cheese Candy and Nirvana Seeds- White Rhino, all out in the commercial corn fields. Although I wanted Indica dominant seeds for a early finish, as I am done when the corn is done. When I trimmed I used the tops to place in rock wool to clone them for replacements on anything deer eat, they are doing well and could be trimmed for more clones but it is time to let nature take its course and me relax a bit. I hope all of you outdoor brothers and sisters are having some success in all you do.

Yea i can get some photos next trip in. I usually check them weekly if i can. I start before everything starts getting green and growing up around here. Prepping holes, trails in and such. Its easy in the beginning. Always take a machete because it grows up even more between visits. Pick a site you know grows up. Get in it early spring to clear your space is the beth method. Then just make several small trails to it.

Ah shit, Dutchess yer killen me. Looking real good. Gosh I wish I could do that in my yard.

It depends on what neighborhood you live in here. The law is sketchy but they want you indoors. Not everyone can have a yard grow thats another reason Im really trying this year. All FF nutes according to their schedule and better watering and PHing. Helicopter sees all!! Im going inside soon.

Back
Top Bottom