How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

:oops: 150 capsules at 25 mg. Is this the potency you'd be taking? If so, no loss, and I'd be surprised if they started bursting. Sure will be interested to see how that part of it goes. Never thought about trapped CO2 in the capsules.

Thank you for doing this. It'll make life so much easier for those of us following behind to have more than one perspective on the process. You know they're finding out wonderful things about the healing potential of the acid cannabinoids. Apparently they attach to receptors in the cell nucleus.

How long do you plan to let them sit before you try again? Ahhh.... I see, a month. We'll be watching.

Hi all, long time no post.

Almost exactly 2 years ago I asked Motoco (RIP) what I should do about some mold I got on some of my buds. Page 102 of this thread.

But his answer has vanished, although my reply to his post is still there. He said not to smoke those buds, but the decarboxylating process of subjecting the oil to around 250F degrees for more than 20 minutes would kill all the mold spores and thus make the oil safe to use, as mold spores are killed at temps above 200 degrees or so.

Can anyone substantiate this. We've had a horrible wet and cold autumn here and I'm afraid we left the plants a bit long and they've all got at least one bud with mold. It's heartbreaking to say the least.

Obviously I'm still alive, after having ingested the moldy oil of 2 years ago, so am I correct in believing that I can save most of this years' crop? By properly decarboxilising at 250 degrees F for 20 minutes or more?

Huge thanks for anyone who can throw some light on this subject.

Almost exactly 2 years ago I asked Motoco (RIP) what I should do about some mold I got on some of my buds. Page 102 of this thread.

But his answer has vanished, although my reply to his post is still there. He said not to smoke those buds, but the decarboxylating process of subjecting the oil to around 250F degrees for more than 20 minutes would kill all the mold spores and thus make the oil safe to use, as mold spores are killed at temps above 200 degrees or so.

Can anyone substantiate this. We've had a horrible wet and cold autumn here and I'm afraid we left the plants a bit long and they've all got at least one bud with mold. It's heartbreaking to say the least.

Obviously I'm still alive, after having ingested the moldy oil of 2 years ago, so am I correct in believing that I can save most of this years' crop? By properly decarboxilising at 250 degrees F for 20 minutes or more?

Have you harvested yet nooby? And I must say, I was so thrilled to see you here that I squealed with joy and ran over to read your post.

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

If you haven't harvested yet, the solution is easy. Wash the buds.

Here, I found Doc Bud's own instructions.

Here's what I do RE Budwashing:

Bucket One: 5 gallons H2O 1/2 to 1 cup baking soda, 1/2 to 1 cup lemon juice.
Bucket Two: 5 gallons H2O
Bucket Three: 5 Gallons H2O....as pure as you can get it.

Fully submerge and gently agitate for 30 seconds to a minute in each bucket. As the first bucket begins to turn brown, spend longer time in the second and last bucket.

If you have PM in your room:

After cutting out and discarding buds with spore formation on them, add a 5 gallon bucket before bucket One that is 1/3 H2O2 3%. Follow the same procedure.

RE Trimming: I've found that pulling off fan leaves and ugly leaves right before washing is best. Let the sugar leaves dry with the buds and then trim them off when dry. The sugar leaf trim is my personal smoke of choice, even above the flowers.

I hope this helps nooby. It's so good to hear from you. Another hug

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Hey.... Stop in the study hall, if you have time. We reworked the BioBomb capsule formulations.

Good to see you nobby32 and I'm sure it is good to be seen. Sue is correct, the bud wash is best if you have not done a harvest yet, then after that the cooking will kill anything else that maybe left behind. Please head over to the study hall and tell the other oilheads how you are and how the CCO worked for you.

:love::cco::love:

Hi Nobby, et.al.

The thing with molds is that there are still toxins present even after you kill the mold and spores. White molds aren't a problem except for people who are allergic. But the grey and black molds are highly toxic especially if inhaled.

That said, bud washing with peroxide should remove mold and spores if there's only a light touch of it on buds. I doubt you'd be messing with them if there was more than that. And for making oil it should be even less of a problem.

You said it's only on one bud or so of each plant, so I'm sure you're fine. I mainly wanted to add that for anyone reading this that might get impression that mold isn't a big deal.

Very true Mr. KingstonRabbi, I've seen people that had to leave their homes until the mold was removed by a highly trained & licensed Mold Mitigation Company at a cost of thousands. Air circulation in a home or grow room is key.

:adore::cco::Namaste::love:

I have not posted in a long time either. I got on to refresh my memory on a couple of things and I just saw this post. Not this post but the post you are referring to. I will go look real quick to see if I can find it again. found it. It is on page 84, If I did this right below will be a link to the actual post.

Cannabis Oil Dosing Tutorial - Tacking Method

Thank you eagle-eye fghtsmallcell, I did hunt but I didn't find when I looked.

I hope everything is fine in your world, hadn't seen your name come up for ages. I remember you joined to help your husband, so I hope he's still ok.

What a fine group of people we have got congregated here! I feel so blessed to have found this place!

Cheers, Nobby

Thank you eagle-eye fghtsmallcell, I did hunt but I didn't find when I looked.

I hope everything is fine in your world, hadn't seen your name come up for ages. I remember you joined to help your husband, so I hope he's still ok.

What a fine group of people we have got congregated here! I feel so blessed to have found this place!

Cheers, Nobby

Yes. Hubby is still going strong and still on the oil. So all is well in our neck of the woods. I agree that we have a great group of people on here. I still really miss Motoco (Tim) Anyway, I will copy and past your questions and his reply here so you can quit looking. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nobby32 View Post
Wow, I just read your pervious post Motoco. Kudos to you and Mo for your fantastic work in your own and this online community. Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

I posted some questions the other day and I think it got lost - even I couldn't find it!
So here it is again:

Hi all, well I've had a bit of a setback here. After a spell of really cold and wet weather, I lost 1/3 of my Critical Kush plant to mould, and I lost 2/3 of my Critical Cure. So I'm hoping I have enough left for a treatment. I have 7 oz Acapulco Gold Sativa dom, about 2 1/2 oz of Critical Cure (CDB) and about 5-6 oz of Critical Kush Indica. Both of these are still curing. I'm hoping to get 3 to 4 grams per ounce.

1/ Is this enough or should I wait 12 months to grow some more? I haven't started making the oil yet - got all the stuff and done my dummy runs and all seems fine.

2/ And this is my Scottish heritage showing through, but can I salvage any of the less affected mouldy buds to make oil for external use? - they have all dried fine and they still have plenty of resin on them. They're just a little brown inside...

3/ And one more question for Motoco - if I tack during the day 'x' amount of times using my sativa/cbd blend, but only once with my Indica just before bed, that could mean one of two things: one, I need much more sativa/cbd than indica: or, I tack a much bigger Indica amount at bedtime. Can't seem to find an answer to this one.

All the best to all who reside here. Cheers, Nobby
Hi nobby32,

Motoco's reply to you

Healthwise I wouldn't wait 12 months for anything. Sorry if I missed your post, my mistake or was on light duty for a week. Actually I think you will be fine and can move forward. Shame about the mold but it won't be wasted. Smoking yes, oil no.
1. You have enough figuring out 4 grams per ounce. Maybe three. Proceed to make your oil.

2. I've known people who had no choice to use moldy flowers to make their concentrate. Bacteria, spores, fungus mold burn off over 175 degrees. Could affect the taste perhaps but it didn't affect the oil in its healing properties. Your decarboxylation goes up to 250f. Plenty over 175f. Yes they used it 'tacking'. If they wouldn't of tried it they simply didn't have enough time or money for a redo or in hospice state and had no options. Of course never smoke moldy bud.
3. Correct you use more Sativa. Doing the math here is how I would recommend to make your oil with what you have. You had a lot of CBD compared to the Acapulco Gold Sativa. You won't need that much more of Indica at night. What you can do is take a small 1/4 grain of rice of Indica 30 minutes before dinner and the same amount 30 minutes after dinner. This will start winding you down from the daytime Sativa. By the time you take your grain of rice 2 hours before bed you will be sleeping good once everything gets into sync. You might have to make a few small adjustments like a 1/2 grain of rice after dinner. You will be able to find out exactly what you need to achieve a good nights sleep. You do not want to overdo too much Indica at night or you throw off the effects of the daytime (more lethargic throughout the day).

First take your 7 oz of Acapulco Gold and blend it with your 2.5 oz of Critical Cure. This should produce about approx. 32 grams of daytime oil. Maybe more or maybe a little less. On average 2-3 grams CBD. Plan on 2 grams for the CBD unless it's grown full term and the trichomes are fully developed.

Your 5 oz of Indica (clean) will produce about 17-20 grams which is way more than what you need.
Use your clean daytime oil till you run out. You will have plenty of Indica and that will have to finish your regimen using this. When that time comes use some of your Indica and blend the same ratio only with Indica; do 3 parts Indica to 1 part your CBD oil (mold). As mentioned when you do your decarb it will be fine except perhaps taste. (google in what temperature is required to destroy mold, mildew etc. and it will verify the nasties have been eliminated). To make your daytime last longer start your Indica earlier in the day when it is not as active as your mornings. This will stretch your daytime longer instead of running out to soon and only having Indica through the last part of your healing.
Hope I didn't confuse you. Just crunching some numbers. The final tale of the tape is what you actually produce after the oil is made. Post your final amount and we can make adjustments. You have enough oil, just a matter of balancing everything out. You will be fine.

Take your time and don't stress, all will be alright. Darn mother nature. Just a small setback, mostly mentally.

Cheers

When your out of daytime then use the same ratio of your CBD oil (moldy) and use the same ratio

So can you use bud that has allready been decarboxalated in the oven @ 250 for 27 mins. ? Or is that process limited to canabutter production?

:welcome: to the thread Kapncannabis, and to the :420: community at large.

This method is for the production of Concentrated Cannabis Oil, not canna butter. Yes, you use decarbed bud, although many of us have taken to decarbing at 230 F for 110 minutes, as advised by Dutch researchers.

Is there anything else we can help you with? There are a wealth of threads designed to make this process and the administration and dosing easier, but it's a bit of data overload for those new to the site. All of the threads are monitored and attended to by dedicated members with some experience in wading through the information and helping you feel more confident about the cannabinoid therapies. We encourage questions. :battingeyelashes: :love:

So can you use bud that has allready been decarboxalated in the oven @ 250 for 27 mins. ? Or is that process limited to canabutter production?

Absolutely you can use decarbed bud. I've done a couple batches that way to avoid having to use the hot oil bath method that I've had problems with a few times. Main difference is that the buds breakdown more during the quick washes and the oil is darker, but it works just the same.

For what it's worth, a lot of us were experimenting with oven decarbed bud last fall and generally concluded that best results for both medical and recreational purposes was 110 minutes at 220 degrees. That was based on articles, our own testing, plus a few happy accidents.

And where are my manners?! Welcome to 420! :welcome: We're eager to hear about your results with oil making.

Welcome to the club Kapncannabis!

I started reading this thread from page 1 then realized there was 146 more to go! lol

All the good stuff was on the first 2 pages so here I am. A lot has changed since page 2.

I'm for decarbing in the oil. It's not that hard and if a person has trouble dealing with that then for crying out loud NEVER mess with butane or other highly flammable solvents. I don't do funerals except for my own and I'm happy to procrastinate on that!

PROS:

Capture maximum amounts of ALL plant materials especially the delicate terpenes. So much is lost in oven decarbs even if sealed in foil.
Actually easy to do and an oil bath is not needed. (details below)
More precise control of temps.

CONS:

None comes to mind. :)

For electric stoves or hotplates you can just use a coat-hanger wire to keep your pot of oil that you will put your cannabis in off the element a bit so it can scald so easily. Bust it apart and snip off the coiled bits then bend it into a star shape or any other shape that is flat and the pot can sit securely on. No snips then make sure the coiled ends are off to the side out of the way when you're done.

Gas stove? Go buy a hot plate for $20.

Get an accurate thermometer and figure out some way to suspend it in the oil so it doesn't touch the bottom. I haven't tried my laser thermometer yet but will the next batch to see if it works against the lab thermometer I'm using now and I trust it more than that new-fangled gizmo. :)

Start with heat about low - med and allow the temp to stabilize before gradually dialing it up. If you make an inverted cone out of tinfoil around your container you'll have super stable temps but if you can maintain a steady temp you don't have to. This isn't going to work with really small batches unless in a small container tho so an oil bath or even heating the container in the oven is the way to go.

This is my DIY setup for a 1L batch of coconut oil using 50g of popcorn/sugar trim and 10% sunflower lecithin for a 20:1 mix. Wife still hasn't got her MixMaster back.

Cocobudder04.jpg

:peace:

So with the 110minute/230deg.f oven decarb method. Are the buds uncovered? Just on trays?

Then washes 2/3 times. With a rice cooker evaporation?

Covered, or in a turkey roasting bag. They idea is to reduce the loss of terpenes that vaporize. It also slows loss of moisture so buds don't just turn to dust.

Then freeze in the bag or covered tray. You want both the herb and alcohol to be at 0 F or close as you can get. Then do the quick washes.

You can evaporate the alcohol in rice cooker, but consider a counter top still. The cost around $250, but I've recovered at least a dozen liters that would have cost $600-700 to replace if I had just evaporated it. It will save me thousands before I'm through. Not to mention it's so much safer without having the fumes.

Covered, or in a turkey roasting bag. They idea is to reduce the loss of terpenes that vaporize. It also slows loss of moisture so buds don't just turn to dust.

Then freeze in the bag or covered tray. You want both the herb and alcohol to be at 0 F or close as you can get. Then do the quick washes.

You can evaporate the alcohol in rice cooker, but consider a counter top still. The cost around $250, but I've recovered at least a dozen liters that would have cost $600-700 to replace if I had just evaporated it. It will save me thousands before I'm through. Not to mention it's so much safer without having the fumes.
Thanks for the tips and clarification.

I make my own alcohol, I have a t500. I don't want to run my rso through it as it will probably taint the reflux still.

Counter too still, is that an air still?

Most of us have the Megahome water distiller. Mine gets used daily for distilling water for my garden, but it's excellent for reclaiming ethanol.

IMG_79384.JPG

Wow, reclaiming/making your own carrier :bravo: Is the everclear 151 proof an acceptable carrier? I could not tell what proof he was using in the start of the thread. I have gathered all the items required and am just about ready for my first try at making oil as described by Re: How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil. And could the dosing be as easy as adding proper dose to most any type beverage ?

Back
Top Bottom