How to setup a smart power strip for a grow

So I know that many members use manual timers as they were, and currently still are the most reliable way to automate grows. With "smart'" power bars/strips/plugs becoming more popular, they are becoming more reliable. I don't think they are as reliable as a manual timer, but they sure are convenient. I thought it might be nice to do a quick write up on how I've set mine up, and if using mine as a template, please edit the timing according to the requirements for your own grow medium. Mine, which I will post screenshots of for an example, is for an Ebb and Flow with hydroton as the grow medium. It's using a 1 hour watering with 3 hours between watering cycles, this is where you will need to edit according to your grow medium. Mine is also setup to not have the airstone/airpump running 24/7, the air pump only turns on when: A) it detects the water pump has been activated, B) 3 min prior to a watering, C) going in to the app and manually turning it on
There are two areas in the app, "smart life" (which was downloaded from Google play store) that need to be setup after following manufacturer instructions to hook up to your wifi. Be sure to name the plugs.
Here is the first screenshot, don't worry about the tabs, they pop up after programming.

Click on the bottom "smart" button.
There are now two tabs you can click on, click on "tap-to-run".
Next on the top right corner is a "+" sign, click it.
Now you get to do the core watering programming.

Click on "launch tap to run"
Click on "delay" then enter the amount of time between your waterings. We want a delay in the 1st line to prevent a double watering, and it will also reset the time for the next watering based upon when it was last watered.

Then click on the blue "+" for "task" and add as per the screenshot and your desired tasks along with timing.

The key part is at the end, the last task. Before adding it, you should name, and save your program, then come back and add this later (just dont forget to).

You can see the settings i used, copy this and change the water pump off timing
Next, under the "Smart" tab, click on automation.
Set it up as per screenshot using the blue "+" button
Next to the your air pump into your water pump, simply click on the blue "+" go into "device changes status" and set up as follows:

Now go back and add that line I told you not to forget.

While your in the "tap-to-run" programming, it's time to also click the blue "+" again to add a manual watering that can be triggered by the push of a button in the app.
Use the option "run the device " , select your water pump. Then add the next task to be a delay, this is where you need to add or edit how long a watering cycle should be. Add another task of turning the water pump off, and save.

The only actual thing I have running on a schedule is my lights. Which is pretty self explanatory, the button is in the blue screen with the image of the power bar and what's active.

So I'm going to add in a bunch more screenshots, for reference. Sorry if any images(s) are repeats.

Hi @Marsella, sorry it took me a bit, was hard to write up on my cell. I'm sure I missed a few steps but hope the images help with anything I missed. Feel free to also ask any questions.

What power strip are you using.
I should also mention, originally I was planning to simply do a schedule for the watering, which depending on frequency can be an option, but there is a limit to how many schedule times the memory holds....the little program I figured out was a workaround as watering is no longer based upon a schedule, but instead since the time the pump last turned off.

So I know that many members use manual timers as they were, and currently still are the most reliable way to automate grows.

I'll choose reliability over convenience, 100 times out of 100. However, the reason I don't use these kinds of IoT devices is that they are practically all manufactured in China, by Chinese companies - and require the use of an application written/controlled by a Chinese company. Such as that Smart Life app, written/published by Tuya, Inc., which is headquartered in Xihu District, Hangzhou, China. I read a report last year that was written by a security group about several such companies that have known or strongly suspected ties to the Chinese government. IIRC, Tuya was on the list.

Many people have logged their Internet activity before and after installing those kinds of devices, and noticed a lot of traffic going to and coming from PRC servers after installing them. Sometimes as much as several hundred megabytes of data per month. Seems like a lot of information... for a timer. Now I'm not the most paranoid person on the planet, but that level of traffic does appear to be suspicious. So does a cell phone application that requires the following permissions: Take pictures and videos with your cell phone's camera. Access your phone's file system; and read, modify, and delete files. View WiFi connections. Record sound via your cell phone's microphone. Activate your cell phone's GPS radio and use that and your network information to determine your precise location. Change your audio settings (temporarily muting your phone's speaker can be helpful). Send/receive information via the Internet, change your network settings, full network access. Modify system settings. Et cetera.

Just what everyone needs - if they wish other entities to have full access to all the information that is stored on their network. Plus the sounds (and, often, "sights") that are occurring in the same room. And, for that matter, anything else that can be accessed on or via their local network that is not well protected. Because, hey, a timer needs to have free and ready access to all of that stuff... right?

A lot of those apps also are kind enough - to your neighbors - to transmit account/password information in the clear / unencrypted. Because, with so many people spending so much time at home, your neighbors would much rather use up your monthly bandwidth allotment than their own.

And then there's the fact that a great many of these things end up being handy dandy botnet fodder when someone (usually a foreign entity and, often, an agent of a foreign government) wants to hit a server with lots and lots of traffic in a DDoS attack. As in... Well, there was a big one in February that involved a peak traffic volume of 2.3 Tbps. That's 2,300,000,000,000 bits per second. It's no longer just people running Microsoft Windows on their home computers who fuel those things - many "Internet of Things" devices are part of it now, too.

I hope, at the very least, you've got that thing - and whichever device you're running the application that controls you it on - fully sandboxed so that it has access to neither your other devices nor the Internet in general! Because the PRC government really doesn't need your help to attack us.

I'd only even consider running one of those things if I could completely replace its firmware with something along the lines of Sonoff / Tasmoto project open-source firmware. And could control it from my computer (which runs a *nix operating system, specifically, a linux distro) via simple commands (using something like telnet) or via an open-source application that I have examined before compiling myself. But I'd be much more likely to skip them altogether and, instead set up something with a Raspberry pi, Arduino board, or other comparable device. Because... open-source. Because there are lots and lots and lots of things published on the Internet showing us how to do "practically anything" with them. Not just "timer stuff," but complex greenhouse controllers. There's a thread on
that autoflower site
called "Raspberry Pi powered temp/humidity/moisture monitoring system." There's another one on a different cannabis-related forum called "DIY - Raspberry PI + DHT11 Sensor + SainSmart 2 Channel Relay" that is about building an automated curing box. There isn't much information here (there is a little bit, I think), but doing a web-search for:
Code:
"raspberry pi" cannabis
...gives a LOT of results. Everything from using them for "simple" timers, monitoring of various things... all the way to fully-automated grow setups. Replacing cannabis with more general gardening terms will give you a lot more. Sure, it costs a little bit more, usually. But it's safer, more reliable, more secure... and you can do so very much more. You can even use a Raspberry pi as a computer (because it is one, albeit a modest one that uses minimal electricity).

I'll choose reliability over convenience, 100 times out of 100. However, the reason I don't use these kinds of IoT devices is that they are practically all manufactured in China, by Chinese companies - and require the use of an application written/controlled by a Chinese company. Such as that Smart Life app, written/published by Tuya, Inc., which is headquartered in Xihu District, Hangzhou, China. I read a report last year that was written by a security group about several such companies that have known or strongly suspected ties to the Chinese government. IIRC, Tuya was on the list.

Many people have logged their Internet activity before and after installing those kinds of devices, and noticed a lot of traffic going to and coming from PRC servers after installing them. Sometimes as much as several hundred megabytes of data per month. Seems like a lot of information... for a timer. Now I'm not the most paranoid person on the planet, but that level of traffic does appear to be suspicious. So does a cell phone application that requires the following permissions: Take pictures and videos with your cell phone's camera. Access your phone's file system; and read, modify, and delete files. View WiFi connections. Record sound via your cell phone's microphone. Activate your cell phone's GPS radio and use that and your network information to determine your precise location. Change your audio settings (temporarily muting your phone's speaker can be helpful). Send/receive information via the Internet, change your network settings, full network access. Modify system settings. Et cetera.

Just what everyone needs - if they wish other entities to have full access to all the information that is stored on their network. Plus the sounds (and, often, "sights") that are occurring in the same room. And, for that matter, anything else that can be accessed on or via their local network that is not well protected. Because, hey, a timer needs to have free and ready access to all of that stuff... right?

A lot of those apps also are kind enough - to your neighbors - to transmit account/password information in the clear / unencrypted. Because, with so many people spending so much time at home, your neighbors would much rather use up your monthly bandwidth allotment than their own.

And then there's the fact that a great many of these things end up being handy dandy botnet fodder when someone (usually a foreign entity and, often, an agent of a foreign government) wants to hit a server with lots and lots of traffic in a DDoS attack. As in... Well, there was a big one in February that involved a peak traffic volume of 2.3 Tbps. That's 2,300,000,000,000 bits per second. It's no longer just people running Microsoft Windows on their home computers who fuel those things - many "Internet of Things" devices are part of it now, too.

I hope, at the very least, you've got that thing - and whichever device you're running the application that controls you it on - fully sandboxed so that it has access to neither your other devices nor the Internet in general! Because the PRC government really doesn't need your help to attack us.

I'd only even consider running one of those things if I could completely replace its firmware with something along the lines of Sonoff / Tasmoto project open-source firmware. And could control it from my computer (which runs a *nix operating system, specifically, a linux distro) via simple commands (using something like telnet) or via an open-source application that I have examined before compiling myself.

Hey @TorturedSoul, thanks for taking the time to read through the write up.:Rasta: And yup, the very first thing I mentioned was reliability, but like most technologies, improvements happen over time. Stick to mechanical timers, there's nothing wrong with old school, its tried, tested and proven. That being said, there should always be room for improvement and that is just how I feel :Namaste:. It's an informed decision, which I thought I had made clear, my apologies if that wasn't stressed enough. This is pretty much an argument that was made when LEDs starting coming out, while I actually use HPS, I'm grateful for them continuing to push the envelope and help growers. But that is only an analogy, we're discussing smart power bars and plugs.

Sandboxing is an excellent idea, thank you for the suggestion, and it is one I had considered.

While I wasn't aware of the connection with the PRC servers, it doesn't surprise me. In this day and age you can kiss privacy good bye if you use internet:rofl:, and yes, a bit of paranoia is good, and can be helpful. But...I'm also guessing your just not into smart devices period as it's a risk you dont like, which is cool, I get that. But smart TVs (Samsung anybody?) and other companies have come under fire for similar data streaming. Got any apps on your phone like most people? Well, you already have signed your privacy away and btw....if PRC or any other Intel agency wanted info, unless you've got more then an average person's resources they're going to get it, be that access to your phones cam or mic.

Bot attacks are real, and any device, or computer hooked up to the internet is susceptible.

Btw, if you look in the pictures you can see how the app corresponds to the weather? It needs a location to accomplish that (not trying to be flippant, it's just a feature that I actually like).

Well, I really have to thank you in all honesty. When doing this write up, I expected the tried and true timer debate to take place. I didn't expect it to turn into an IT security debate.

The write up was done as a guide, after a member asked. When trying to figure out how to do it, I wish I had a template to go with, and this was an attempt to help anyone in similar circumstances, with any smart device/power bar, etc.b

"I hope, at the very least, you've got that thing - and whichever device you're running the application that controls you it on - fully sandboxed so that it has access to neither your other devices nor the Internet in general! Because the PRC government really doesn't need your help to attack us."

I'm going to take that as you trying to provide kind advice, and not as flippant. :passitleft:

You obviously have got IT skills, and clearly more then me. I dont pretend to be an IT guy, but a lot of people are drawn to the devices...I highly doubt I'm the only or first to use it

I'm totally open for improvements; and sandboxing is a great way if you have a spare phone and router to do it, I dont...hell I cant even afford to fix the cracked screen on this one:rofl:, unless I'm wrong on that, and please do correct me if I'm wrong - I want this to be about improvements and I'm open to the discussion....that is what this forum is about, DIYing it.:Namaste::passitleft:

Hey @TorturedSoul, thanks for taking the time to read through the write up.:Rasta: And yup, the very first thing I mentioned was reliability, but like most technologies, improvements happen over time. Stick to mechanical timers, there's nothing wrong with old school, its tried, tested and proven. That being said, there should always be room for improvement and that is just how I feel :Namaste:. It's an informed decision, which I thought I had made clear, my apologies if that wasn't stressed enough. This is pretty much an argument that was made when LEDs starting coming out, while I actually use HPS, I'm grateful for them continuing to push the envelope and help growers. But that is only an analogy, we're discussing smart power bars and plugs.

Sandboxing is an excellent idea, thank you for the suggestion, and it is one I had considered.

While I wasn't aware of the connection with the PRC servers, it doesn't surprise me. In this day and age you can kiss privacy good bye if you use internet:rofl:, and yes, a bit of paranoia is good, and can be helpful. But...I'm also guessing your just not into smart devices period as it's a risk you dont like, which is cool, I get that. But smart TVs (Samsung anybody?) and other companies have come under fire for similar data streaming. Got any apps on your phone like most people? Well, you already have signed your privacy away and btw....if PRC or any other Intel agency wanted info, unless you've got more then an average person's resources they're going to get it, be that access to your phones cam or mic.

Bot attacks are real, and any device, or computer hooked up to the internet is susceptible.

Btw, if you look in the pictures you can see how the app corresponds to the weather? It needs a location to accomplish that (not trying to be flippant, it's just a feature that I actually like).

Well, I really have to thank you in all honesty. When doing this write up, I expected the tried and true timer debate to take place. I didn't expect it to turn into an IT security debate.

The write up was done as a guide, after a member asked. When trying to figure out how to do it, I wish I had a template to go with, and this was an attempt to help anyone in similar circumstances, with any smart device/power bar, etc.b

"I hope, at the very least, you've got that thing - and whichever device you're running the application that controls you it on - fully sandboxed so that it has access to neither your other devices nor the Internet in general! Because the PRC government really doesn't need your help to attack us."

I'm going to take that as you trying to provide kind advice, and not as flippant. :passitleft:

You obviously have got IT skills, and clearly more then me. I dont pretend to be an IT guy, but a lot of people are drawn to the devices...I highly doubt I'm the only or first to use it

I'm totally open for improvements; and sandboxing is a great way if you have a spare phone and router to do it, I dont...hell I cant even afford to fix the cracked screen on this one:rofl:, unless I'm wrong on that, and please do correct me if I'm wrong - I want this to be about improvements and I'm open to the discussion....that is what this forum is about, DIYing it.:Namaste::passitleft:

Thank you for adding that bit at the end. Raspberry pi is something that has highly interested me! :green_heart:
I was going to study up on it, but decided to learn about hydroponics first.

Yo my TV/PC bro !!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking all this time making this super tuto !!:high-five:
I took a brief look but looks very clear and when time will come i will thank you again haha im sure it will help a lot of other people too :headbanger:
SO THANK YOU SO MUCH TV/PV BRO SO MUCH APPRECIATED !!! :thumb:

Ps : @TorturedSoul I love your name bro haha but yeah your right at some points and for sure an open source software in a raspberry/arduino would be the best, but once you get the code right haha , btw you should check and google « GROWDUINO » and you will find a ca company which i think looks pretty nice (in theory haha)

I have a TP link power bar and 6/7 plugs been using them years now.Never had issues i use a RCA on the power bar
for extra protection as the lights are on that.Love asking alexa to turn pump on. :)Few of the plugs have smart meters
on so can even tell me how much power im using.A must for any grower i feel in this day and age.

£24.99 on most sites for the power bar..

Cool.. I'm getting myself one of those.. how do you rate yours after all this time?

5/5 stars
Hasn't skipped a beat yet. Sends me an alarm as soon as it loose communication with the power bar. I have also added a water sensor in my tent to detect any water leaks...it automatically turns the pump off for me the instant a leak is detected.

@TorturedSoul is spot on also.BUT most moden homes have more than home plugs with firmware written in china.
TV/DVR/NVR etc even a smart kettle etc.But hes right they are all vulnerable to attack.

I think the more vulnerable items are the cheap ones tbh.IF you have a google/amazon media device ring door bell home cctv i really wouldnt worry to much about it.If they want data on you they have already collected loads.. :)

Hard ware back doors can be build in to most digital devices guess were most are manufactured even if the firmware
is coded back in the USA/UK etc ;)

Back
Top Bottom