How to use THC oil and still function?

RkyMtnHi

420 Member
I've got lymphoma, a fairly nasty variety that until recently was pretty much a death sentence. (The same evil shit killed my dad.) Fortunately the treatments have advanced a LOT in the last 5-10 years, and as of the last month it looks like we've got my case under control.

But I've been hitting it with everything I could, and before I started that treatment I was looking into RSO or similar. The logistics of making my own RSO were daunting, but Colorado is a legal state so I just hooked up with a local extraction business. I picked up half a dozen 1ml syringes of 75% THC and 40% THC / 25% CBD and started trying to build up tolerance.

And good God I am useless when I'm high. I've smoked on and off for 47 years, and I've enjoyed the edibles/etc we can get here in CO. But that was generally a "party" kind of thing, where I didn't expect to function in normal life. With this RSO-type approach I'm supposed to work up to one full syringe a day!?? That's like 750 mg of THC for the 75% oil!!

I started taking it orally, but that just got me thoroughly f*cked up. I can't do that all day long because I'm worthless for anything more challenging than scrolling through yootoob videos for hours. So I tried some suppositories (oil in gelatin capsules) because that's supposed to bypass the liver and avoid the high. I was able to tolerate a much higher dose that way, but still nothing close to the 750mg/day I'm supposed to take. After working up from smaller doses I took one dose that was maybe 100-120mg or so, just before bed. Slept through the first 8 hours, damn near fell on my face when I got out of bed, and staggered and stumbled through my morning. I was loopy and stoned until about 2pm -- 18 hours on a single dose. And I'm supposed to take 6-7 TIMES that much!? I gave up after that, because I have to be able to work, drive, etc.

I enjoy having a few drinks and getting a bit tipsy, but I don't like getting sloppy falling-down drunk. Same with weed -- a bit of a high is fun, but falling-down baked, all day long, is not good and not pleasant. How do people tolerate the therapeutic doses? Do you just resign yourself to being a basket case for the 3+ months of treatment, get a sabbatical from work, get somebody else to drive you if you need to go somewhere, ...?

Hey RkyMtnHi,

I’m sorry to hear about the lymphoma. What I’m speaking about are things I’ve read here so I can’t confirm the validity from personal experience. However I can point you to a resource and let you read the info first hand and form your own opinions.

These threads were done by 420motoco and Cajuncelt. I have no reason to doubt him but I believe CajunCelt beat cancer but then many years later it came roaring back, he is now deceased. The methods describe the tacking protocol which involves putting a piece of rso about the size of a grain of rice in the dimples of your gum line for long slow absorption. Supposedly when tacking is done properly (applied to dried gum and not swallowed) there is little to no euphoria, or if sloppy tacking is done (swallowing or eating the tack) then euphoria is retained. There are many other things to consider as you mentioned using suppositories for bypassing the liver and so on.

It’s a long thread but this much I will confirm anything pertaining to medical written by 420motoco, CajunCelt and SweetSue are worth delving further into. You are in our thoughts and prayers, heres that link CajunCelt base regimen

I've got lymphoma, a fairly nasty variety that until recently was pretty much a death sentence. (The same evil shit killed my dad.) Fortunately the treatments have advanced a LOT in the last 5-10 years, and as of the last month it looks like we've got my case under control.

But I've been hitting it with everything I could, and before I started that treatment I was looking into RSO or similar. The logistics of making my own RSO were daunting, but Colorado is a legal state so I just hooked up with a local extraction business. I picked up half a dozen 1ml syringes of 75% THC and 40% THC / 25% CBD and started trying to build up tolerance.

And good God I am useless when I'm high. I've smoked on and off for 47 years, and I've enjoyed the edibles/etc we can get here in CO. But that was generally a "party" kind of thing, where I didn't expect to function in normal life. With this RSO-type approach I'm supposed to work up to one full syringe a day!?? That's like 750 mg of THC for the 75% oil!!

I started taking it orally, but that just got me thoroughly f*cked up. I can't do that all day long because I'm worthless for anything more challenging than scrolling through yootoob videos for hours. So I tried some suppositories (oil in gelatin capsules) because that's supposed to bypass the liver and avoid the high. I was able to tolerate a much higher dose that way, but still nothing close to the 750mg/day I'm supposed to take. After working up from smaller doses I took one dose that was maybe 100-120mg or so, just before bed. Slept through the first 8 hours, damn near fell on my face when I got out of bed, and staggered and stumbled through my morning. I was loopy and stoned until about 2pm -- 18 hours on a single dose. And I'm supposed to take 6-7 TIMES that much!? I gave up after that, because I have to be able to work, drive, etc.

I enjoy having a few drinks and getting a bit tipsy, but I don't like getting sloppy falling-down drunk. Same with weed -- a bit of a high is fun, but falling-down baked, all day long, is not good and not pleasant. How do people tolerate the therapeutic doses? Do you just resign yourself to being a basket case for the 3+ months of treatment, get a sabbatical from work, get somebody else to drive you if you need to go somewhere, ...?
Hi, sorry to hear about your lymphoma but don’t worry about how much you are supposed to be taking and be focused on that number but instead take a small dose during the day that will let you function but may not be as comfortable as you would like but you can still function during the day and participate and then worry about increasing that dose at night time when you want to sleep.

@Nunyabiz, I've been using suppositories -- gelatin capsules, not cocoa butter. I can get a higher dose that way, but nothing close to the 1g/day you're supposed to use. E.g. the 100+mg (of THC) dose, after working up from 20 and 50, totally whacked me out for 18 hours. Not fun, and I damn near fell down the stairs.

@RetiredRN, you're probably right. Take what I can, and try to move up over time. I've got a major certification exam coming up on Wednesday, and I need a working brain for that. But I'll have more freedom to experiment after that.

The "1g/day" target comes from the RSO protocol. But that's 1g of oil, not 1g of THC. How much **THC** are we targeting? I just looked and some places say RSO is typically 20-25% THC; others say 60-80%. So depending on the oil, one syringe per day might give you anywhere from 200mg to 800mg of THC! My THC oil is 70%, and one full syringe of that would turn me into a vegetable for a week. I think I could work up to 200mg/day.

That's my plan, once I finish my exam on Wednesday -- suppositories during the day, possibly oral at night when the phucked-uppery is less of a problem.

why not get some charlottes web cbd oil. very low thc but very high cbd level. or get someone to grow you cbd plants. thats where most of the meds are anyways. my brother in law puts a teaspoon in his coffee in the morning just to get his knees working. you want to be injesting as much as you can to fight the cancer. unless you super heat your oil your using now to cook off the thc and convert it to cbd so you dont get shitfaced all day.

CBD is great for knees, but I'm not sure how well it fights cancer. Studies are unclear and the jury is still out. On the other hand THC is well known to trigger cell death in cancer. I think it's lots and lots of THC that does the job with RSO.

i'm slowly working up my tolerance. After eight or 10 days I'm up to about 100 mg THC a day. I feel it, but I'm not totally whacked.

BTW you don't cook THC to convert it to CBD! When you decarboxylate weed, you convert THCa (a less-psychoactive acidic form) into THC. CBD is a separate thing.

Back
Top Bottom