HPS Light

shadowx

Hello,
I have just bought the Sun System HPS 150 Grow Light Fixture for a 2x2 space, for four plants. This light is 150w and produces 16,000 lumens. I am concerned that this might be too much in the red spectrum, I do not know nor can I find info on how much red and blue spectrum it produces, and will cause my plants to become leggy, which I do not want. I was thinking maybe of supplementing this light with some cool spectrum fluorescent lights set vertically in the space to help promote branches and more vegetative growth. I am only starting with seeds from bags.

This is my first time and I would really appreciate some thoughts on the matter! :thanks:

A conversion bulb will solve your problem. They are specific bulbs that are designed to be used with the opposite type of ballast.

So you want a MH conversion bulb for use with your HPS ballast. Some ballasts are switchable, which would mean you could just buy a MH and screw it in.

BE 100% SURE YOU ARE USING THE CORRECT BULB FOR YOUR BALLAST. YOU CAN CAUSE THE BULB OR BALLAST TO OVERHEAT / EXPLODE OR SO I HAVE HEARD.

I have the same light. I would have purchased the 250 instead. I had 4 plants, 3 of which were male. I have 1 white widow a month into flowering. Not even sure if it gives off enough light for one plant much less four. If youd like to check out my journal i can get you a link. But imo return it and get atleast a 250.

I was thinking maybe of supplementing this light with some cool spectrum fluorescent lights set vertically in the space to help promote branches and more vegetative growth. I am only starting with seeds from bags.

You can start your seedlings under 6500K light. Tubes would work. If you can place them horizontally at the top it would be best, IMO, but you might not have the room. CFLs would also work. Either way, when your plant (plants?) grow a bit you can then add in the HPS.

I have the same light. I would have purchased the 250 instead. I had 4 plants, 3 of which were male. I have 1 white widow a month into flowering. Not even sure if it gives off enough light for one plant much less four. If youd like to check out my journal i can get you a link. But imo return it and get atleast a 250.

It produces enough light for a three or four square foot closet/box. Search for ChicagoJoe's 150-watt picture thread. If your plant covers a larger space then that then a 150-watt HPS would be pretty iffy.

A 150-watt HPS does not have much in the way of penetration ability. Be sure that you are not trying to support a canopy that is too deep to be adequately illuminated. Training your plant is helpful. Some will lollipop their plant(s), removing lower growth which wouldn't produce. Others might create a (small) scrog.

You could also benefit from some supplemental lights. Perhaps three or four CFLs in the ~45-watt range?

It produces enough light for a three or four square foot closet/box. Search for ChicagoJoe's 150-watt picture thread. If your plant covers a larger space then that then a 150-watt HPS would be pretty iffy.
Ok. Yeah my plant is very big. 4 foot high. Ive tied up most of the branches that make it so wide. I havent been fortunate enough to be able to afford a tent so i have a lot of light loss. I think it would be a lot better if i had a tent.
A 150-watt HPS does not have much in the way of penetration ability. Be sure that you are not trying to support a canopy that is too deep to be adequately illuminated. Training your plant is helpful. Some will lollipop their plant(s), removing lower growth which wouldn't produce. Others might create a (small) scrog.

You could also benefit from some supplemental lights. Perhaps three or four CFLs in the ~45-watt range?
I know. Most of my fanleaves are gone now. Yeah i have 4 42w cfls but they are daylight. So i dont think they benefit much from that.

I just finished my first grow. Same set up. Growlab 2x2 tent- 150hps. soil. nothing fancy, learned alot. The tent is like 5 1/2ft tall. Had one plant strecth. Got about 6ft. Was a little problem. But they were healthy. Changing some things next time. Learn as you go.

2012_04110255.JPG
2012_04110254.JPG
2012_04110253.JPG
2012_04110252.JPG
2012_04110248.JPG
2012_04110247.JPG
2012_04110243.JPG
2012_04110239.JPG
2012_04110233.JPG

How many days before harvest were those pictures taken?

My friend has the same light and problems and he fixed this with more light penetration and illumination u can lower that light 6inch above the canopy in increase ur lumen output to around 24,000 n then he added four 26w cfl's and then did a small scrog in a 2x2 ten to help out with light and penetration!

Back
Top Bottom