600 Watt HPS

MINOR16

Hey! I was interested in buying a 600 watt hps light for growing, but I'm aware thats its color spectrum is red/yellow (good for flowering stage). I was wondering if I could use it throughout my entire growth (seeding, vegetative stage and flowering). Basically, I would like to know whether or not I can forget about other spectrums of light.

Thanks for your help!

Hey,
Welcome to :420:
The actual unit it's self have nothing to do with light spectrum. By that I mean ballast, hood etc. It's dependant on the bulb used... From what you describe you are getting a HPS (high pressure sodium) bulb which is usually for flowering. That being said you could get away with using only a HPS bulb.
Someone I work with said that's all they use as well, so I've looking into it a little. From what I've read, your plant will be a darker green?? more chance of getting males and you may also have larger spacing between nodes..? vs using a metal halide light but I imagine genetics also play a part in that as well.
Anyway I am no expert on the matter, I haven't tried myself. Hope that somewhat helped.
Cheers!:goodluck:

Hey Minor, I use a Phantom(by hydrofarm) 600w digital dimmable ballast and I would also recommend checking those out. I have no complaints with mine so far(been running 2 months)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thank you for your help!
I myself will be growing white Widow, but I'm still curious: do you happen to know how much your friend, using only the hps light, yield, per plant?

(VindictiveB)

MINOR16
Hey, I honestly can't say. Some grow talk happened to come up at work because someone else was interested in starting. Since then that crew has been working out of town. I don't imagine his yeilds are massive as he said he only vegged for 2 weeks or less.
With a quick search around the net I haven't come across any big negatives.. Alot say there is only more stretch just using hps, others swear by it.. I'll admit I'm a little curious myself.

Anyone else tried? Care to chime in??

Well in general using a straight forward hps in all stages mainly so in veg may well cause greater internode stretch leading to a more lanky plant more likely not very desirable to most standards, but ye can be done.

How ever dual spectrum hps is another option which these bulbs are slightly tweaked to offer a bit more blue spectrum which they say can be used for all stages...

I've not used one for all stages tho but only in flowering... just electric cost really when i can use cfl/T5 at half the wattage to get suitable plants for flowering !

For many years I used a 400 watt hps from start to finish and the plant was taller.

Sent from my SM-S765C using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom