Hydro nutes for a vegetable garden

Can I use hydro nutrients on food vegetables like beans and peppers safely?
I'm currently using Botanicare and I like having everything with one company and easy calculators, but I know they're a lot more options. How much difference do lightcycles affects different plants grown indoors.

I'm wanting to get an early start to some outside vegetables and possibly inside. Nutes that'd work for food,herb inside and out would be easier I think.

I want to start some tomatoes inside, and finish them and some greenbeans outside in a small garden spot.

I'm wanting to get an early start to some outside vegetables and possibly inside. Nutes that'd work for food,herb inside and out would be easier I think.
Sounds like you are getting ready to start some vegetables inside and will be planting them outside when the weather changes. If you are planning on growing outside in the ground best to use soil if you are going to start the seeds inside. If you are going to grow vegetables outside in a hydro system then stick with hydro for any seeds started inside.

Sure. I grew some flowers outside in bales of straw and used teas and some of the Fox Farm fertilizers that can be used for hydro or soil growing. I treated the 'bales of straw' grow area like a hydroponics set-up and used it to block the view of several Marijuana plants that I had growing in pots of soil that were behind them.

I'm currently using Botanicare and I like having everything with one company and easy calculators, but I know they're a lot more options. How much difference do lightcycles affects different plants grown indoors.

I want to start some tomatoes inside, and finish them and some greenbeans outside in a small garden spot.
For tomatoes - start them in a different space than your cannabis plants. They are pest magnets. Remove the tomatoes to outdoors and guess what plants the pests start eating??

Thats my personal experience.

You can get an early start with veggies but you put them outside you only get marginal at best jump on harvests. I just start seedlings indoors of all our veggies and put them out after the last frost. Best practice.

That jump your looking for wont be what you think but try it. Just be aware there are risks involved as mentioned.

Growing veggies indoors is a lot of work you need a dedicated greenhouse.

don't plant bean & peppers next to each other
they don't need as much nutrients as cannabis
should be a least 16-18 hours

For tomatoes - start them in a different space than your cannabis plants. They are pest magnets. Remove the tomatoes to outdoors and guess what plants the pests start eating??
Which is not necessarily a bad thing. The pest insects will go after the tomato plants first so they become the trap. Sort of like planting some Marigolds to attract the Mites. Spray the Tomatoes or the Marigolds so that the Cannabis plants do not get sprayed when they are in flower.

You can get an early start with veggies but you put them outside you only get marginal at best jump on harvests. I just start seedlings indoors of all our veggies and put them out after the last frost. Best practice.
I used to do that but the last several years I went with putting some decent potting soil in any old container. Then planting my veggie seeds in those pots and transplanting to the garden when it is time. The cold season crops first (Kale and other Cole crops) and the warm season crops once it looks like the spring frosts are over.

Some veggies and flowers seeds get planted in a prepared spot in the garden. They come up when they are ready and I can transplant from there.

I have been using hydro res change water for over a year now on my garden, both flowers and veggies (the veggies are in separate raised beds by variety). I use the "super juice" once per week and always after the normal irrigation (1/4" drip/spray).
Also, last summer we grew a Roma in the hydro cabinet during the summer ( it reaches 120 F here in July) and harvested more than 350 fruits (using "flower" nutes after the first four weeks). We have excellent harvests of snow peas, garlic, zucchini, bunching onions, strawberries, hot peppers, bell peppers, carrots, as well as a variety of flowers.
All of our grows are in potting soil.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. The pest insects will go after the tomato plants first so they become the trap. Sort of like planting some Marigolds to attract the Mites. Spray the Tomatoes or the Marigolds so that the Cannabis plants do not get sprayed when they are in flower.

I used to do that but the last several years I went with putting some decent potting soil in any old container. Then planting my veggie seeds in those pots and transplanting to the garden when it is time. The cold season crops first (Kale and other Cole crops) and the warm season crops once it looks like the spring frosts are over.

Some veggies and flowers seeds get planted in a prepared spot in the garden. They come up when they are ready and I can transplant from there.
Starting seeds indoors and transplanting outdoors when ready... exactly how we do it.

I tried tomatoes indoors 1x. Was enough. Outside marigolds actually work great as companion crops with all our veggie plots. Deer hate them so steer clear and they absolutely LOVE Kale. Once the marigolds die back in the fall the deer move in and the kale will be nubs in the am.

Make some tasty venison tho.

Make some tasty venison tho.
Venison Chili is highly overrated.

But, a pasta sauce with home-grown tomatoes and venison as the protein is excellent. Or maybe it was just that my wife's Italian genetics influenced her cooking ability.

Bars of Zest hand and bath soap is the current rage as something to use to deter 'venison on the hoof' (aka Garden Rats On Stilts) from the flowers and vegetables. Shave it and put the shavings in and around anything those critters want to eat. Option is to drill a hole in a bar of soap and hang several of them around the garden area.

Might work for those who are worried that the 'dear darling deer' will eat their Marijuana crop.

Lol I've been growing outdoors in "deer" country. They will only eat the very young plants here. We have plenty of natural local organic food for them and cannabis is not a usual part of their diet.

They will come up and sniff it maybe taste a leaf then they move on. I put trail cams on my grows. The critters that make life difficult are the rabbits and raccoons. The rabbits eat a circle around the main stem = death to cannabis and the raccoons dig up the soil looking for whatever amendments (kelp or fish bone meal anything that smells like fish) messing up the root balls. I pray for less wind and rain after the critter onslaught. lol

Venison yummmmmy - we have farmers growing grass fed beef and local deer that feed on all natural vegetation then in the fall they get the corn. The deer taste better than the grass fed beef imho.

My wife makes about everything with it. Yeah fav is tomato gravy with herbs and fresh garlic from the garden on buckwheat. yummmmm

Back
Top Bottom