I can't get the heat down, Help

df65

I have a 8x9 indoor room, 3 1000 watt seal lights, 8 inch fan blowing thru the lights, and exiting thru the roof. 8 inch exhaust fan scrubbing the air, and exhausting thru the roof. 6 inch inlet fan. and a 13000 btu portable ac unit. with all this the temp still come close to 90 deg, and low humidty (30 - 50%). I'm worried that when I switch to flower the temps will be too hot. I'm looking for any suggestions to get these temps down. At this time the lights run from 6 pm - 10 am. The outside temp in the evenings start around 80 deg, and drop to the low 60s by morning.

If I'm understanding your setup correctly, it sounds like all of your exhaust might be working against your A/C unit. Pics would be very helpful.

The 8" fan blowing through your lights: where is the air intake coming from? For proper cooling, the fan on your lights should be pulling from outside your room, pushing air across your lights, and exhausting outside the room. For your 8" exhaust fan, I would probably recirculate that so that it isn't venting out of your room.

If both of those fans are pulling air from inside the room and exhausting it out the roof, you aren't even giving your A/C unit a chance to cool the room. All of the cold air being created by your A/C is just being blown right out of the room. Also, is your portable A/C unit plumbed correctly? I think they have to have access to a window or outside air supply to exchange the hot air out of the room.

:Namaste:
-Monkey

I thought the same thing about the exhaust. I turned it down to about 10%, and only running when the lights are on. last night i tried an experiment. I turned the exhaust up to 50%, and left the room. When I came back in 10 minute later, the temp had risen 4 deg. If I recirculate the exhaust, instead of having it exit the room, doesn't that defeat the purpose of using it ?

The fan for the lights is drawing air from outside the room (outdoors). The a/c unit is exhausting out thru the roof (with a 6 inch insulated vent tube). About a week ago I changed out the vent tube (with the insulated one), and that helped by a few deg.

I appreciate you replying so quickly. Thank You!

No problem! Happy to help. Recirculating through a carbon scrubber doesn't completely defeat the purpose. It will still be handling odor control. Many growers who use co2 in a closed environment do it that way. This way you still get odor control without blowing all the co2 (or in your case, cool air from the A/C) out of the room. Otherwise its like running your central A/C in your hose during the summer with all the doors and windows open. Its certainly not cooling anything, just running up your power bill.

You may also want to check your hoods and ducting on your lights to make sure they are all as airtight as possible. Leaks there will be blowing hot air into your room as well. I never trusted the foam weatherstripping on the lenses of my air cooled hoods. I used to always tape all the seams where there could be potential air leaks. Otherwise, you may need to use a bigger A/C unit. You could also consider water cooling your lights, but that gets very expensive very quickly. Without being able to see the way everything is setup, that's all I can think of.

:Namaste:
-Monkey

Back
Top Bottom