I need help understanding why I would want to top 2 nodes down?

mkono87

So im on my first grow and I have a buddy that has been through a few dwc grows now. I mentioned to him my plants are working on its 5th node and im getting ready to top them. I plan on topping once, then lst the rest of the way.
Anyways, he said I should top to the 3rd node and remove all the leaves below that. I mean I get removing the leaves as thats just wasted nutes that can be used for new growth but why would I want to cut all the way down to node 3? Too me it seems like a step backwards. Would I not want a bigger stock for support? Just haven't got a good explanation as to the why. You can check out my journal in my sig. Thanks.

I top above the fifth, remove 1 and 2 and make a six line

Attachments

• DSCN2640.JPG
    DSCN2640.JPG
    818.4 KB · Views: 169
I under stand the idea. From what I have seen not all the branches from the first nodes do well. I don't top plants but I super crop them to promote branches to grow. Mostly I take the first set of branches off. When doing the Quad thing with a plant. It wouldn't hurt to take the bottom set of branches off. Then use the next 2 sets of branches to work with.

The biggest reason for taking off more than one node is a principal sometimes referred to as back building.

The plant has enough roots to supply the vegetation. The more vegetation you take off the more the balance leans towards roots. Leaving you with an overly effective root mass for a short period. The remaining nodes not only get more light from removing the blocker in the way but they also get more energy from the roots. The lowest nodes very rarely make it to the canopy so if it's a run in going to take clones from I leave them on until big enough to take a clone. If I'm not keeping the strain, or if I've already got a mother from the strain I take the lowest nodes earlier.

If you let the plant grow enough, you'll typically notice a distinct change in nodal spacing on the main stem. The side branches tend to reach up to this point easily, so I top there. It makes a nice tabletop to train out wider.

Lots of ways to "top" depends on what you want for the final shape/size and how your plant is growing.

I guess I have this thing in my head thinking cutting to the 3rd node means a step backwards cause its back to a small plant but from what you say, these should just explode from the root system.

Exactly

Topping slows the entire plant, kinda
It goes into DEFENSE mode and pushed out all the other growths and creates new ones

And peeps who too a few nodes down swear by the growth

I've only done it 2x, so can't compare it myself vs just topping normally, which I always do

I guess I have this thing in my head thinking cutting to the 3rd node means a step backwards cause its back to a small plant but from what you say, these should just explode from the root system.

Growing is like building. You can rush full speed ahead and finish sooner but it won't last as long Or you can take your time, build a good solid foundation and create something that lasts forever.
Is it better to build it fast or build it to last? Depends on the circumstances.

Veg growth is laying the foundation for your flower growth. Bigger roots= bigger shoots, better roots=better fruits that kind of thing.

It's all personal preference anyways there's no one right way to do anything. Whatever works for you.

Sorry i came late to the party.. I agree 100% with @TurboBucket . When I top I usually do the 5th node. But the logic is genius in making the root system bigger than the plant itself causing the plant explode with growth because the Roots are well endowed in comparison to the growth above ground. I might have to try that on one of my girls. :thumb:

Sorry i came late to the party.. I agree 100% with @TurboBucket . When I top I usually do the 5th node. But the logic is genius in making the root system bigger than the plant itself causing the plant explode with growth because the Roots are well endowed in comparison to the growth above ground. I might have to try that on one of my girls. :thumb:
If you see my journal, ul see I went ahead and cut to the 3rd node and going to try to attempt a quadline.

Not to hijack the thread but, I am really confused.......

Why top and not just bend?

I have fimmed, topped and find bending and twisting seems easier and I get multiple colas it seems...

Also OP stated removing leaves is to spend nutes on new growth not old growth..... OP that is sort of correct but from what I can gather from the training option it seems more like the friend is telling him/you to manifold the plant and the lower leaves are worthless because they will be below the canopy once those branches you trim up to begin to stretch out and become the canopy. So in essence OP is right but should know the reason why things are being done, it helps understand if its something you really are going to want to do.

I just bend

Attachments

• 1211191000-1.jpg
    1211191000-1.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom