IM retarded or my seeds are, please advise

mush182002

Hi all, germinated some Nirvana Papayas. ONce the root sprouts and tip has grown a decent length 1/4 inch i plant it . Problem is, on 2 of them so far, the seed doesnt sprout above the ground and instead of going straight up it kinda curves downward. ON last germ I had to take tweasers and manually remove shell. I feel like im doing somethin wrong. Its basically looks like the top of an S (shell on top) Can I manually straighten it out?

Also, is it truu u should never touch seedling as its germing w/ bare hands because of trama. The hydro store guy told me this can destroy the seedling and kill it

Put a drop of water on the hard shell every few minutes till it softens up. Makes it easier to get off and less traumatic for the seedling.

K, got the shell off, but some how, and this could have been from bending, I pinched the tail, so its pretty close to breaking off (not totally, but a portion)
I wonder if it will heal on its own and continue to sprout

you could've/should've just left it alone... nature will take its course and it'll straighten out on it's own.. it's meant to grow upwards

Well last seed I left "alone" died so I guess well never know. Ive donethis a million times, dont know y these seeds are being so tough on me

mush182002 said:
K, got the shell off, but some how, and this could have been from bending, I pinched the tail, so its pretty close to breaking off (not totally, but a portion)
I wonder if it will heal on its own and continue to sprout

Let me get this straight...you're taking the shell off before you plant the sprout??? :hmmmm: :hmmmm: :hmmmm:

If so...You should have planted the whole sprout, just after the tip of the sprout emerges, then the shell helps the 'head' push up thru the soil. If you have enough light and warmth the sprout will grow fast and then the shell will be shed/fall off on it's own. No need to touch it...or pinch the growing root tip.

mush182002 said:
Well last seed I left "alone" died so I guess well never know. Ive donethis a million times, dont know y these seeds are being so tough on me

oh, sorry to hear that then... good luck with your grow

OK, I planted the sprout when its tail popped out of shell into soil. For some reason, ive had a few sprous that just didnt pop up out of soil surface. My last seed i germed needed a little help too and its now doing great. Usually, i germ them, and plant them and its alllll good. Lets clarify, once seed is germed and the initial tail comes out and then planted in soild, whats typical length of time that they should pop up out of soil.

I dont think im being pushy. I planted and nothing came up, so i peaked in soil and saw that although the root grew and went down, the shell part was still under soil and curved downward

mush182002 said:
OK, I planted the sprout when its tail popped out of shell into soil. For some reason, ive had a few sprous that just didnt pop up out of soil surface. My last seed i germed needed a little help too and its now doing great. Usually, i germ them, and plant them and its alllll good. Lets clarify, once seed is germed and the initial tail comes out and then planted in soild, whats typical length of time that they should pop up out of soil.

I dont think im being pushy. I planted and nothing came up, so i peaked in soil and saw that although the root grew and went down, the shell part was still under soil and curved downward

It can take 2-5 days or so to come out of the soil. Make sure you keep the soil temp about 70F...maybe a little higher. don't make the soil too wet either. You can drown the little buggers. Or cause root/stem rot too.

I know how you feel...I hate waiting to see them come thru. Sometimes I'm poking around in the soil looking for the head coming up. The head will point down until it breaks thru the surface and reaches for the light. It WILL straighten up...promise.

Another thought...don't plant too deep. About 1-2 times as deep as the seed is long is plenty. Here too, I find I go a little deep sometimes. It takes longer to break the surface when I do that. Someday I'll get over that. :laughtwo:

Peace. :bongrip:

You are prob right, I prob was impatient, but before all of this happened, one of seed i germed and planted just died. I dug in soild and found it dead and dried out. I kept soil moist too, so i thought, so im very parranoid since these seeds cost me 3bucks each :(

Yea we all get impatient when it comes to herb.... Think of this as the longest waiting game you will ever have to do for a bag of herb... But soooo worth the wait.

Not every one of my seeds started to produce a plant.
It's OK- Now that I have 4 plants under 400 watts HPS!! They are still in Veg but I love the smell of cannabis indica!! How sweet it is!!!

i have never had a prob with seeds germinating but i just recently got 20 from nirvana myself 10 skunk special and 10 white widow and i planted 3 of each first using paper towel and they got to between half an inch to an inch and looked great then i planted them and 2 off them did the same thing grew down and i moved a little dirt away just so light would get through a little better and it would see which way was up and then i left them alone but natures a bitch because they both died.
I still have 4 more that are growing like an erection at the playboy mantion.
this said I dont believe that its a nirvana problem and have had nothing but great quick and confidential service from them.

azaiden said:
...grew down and i moved a little dirt away just so light would get through a little better and it would see which way was up and then i left them alone but natures a bitch because they both died.
I still have 4 more that are growing like an erection at the playboy mantion.
this said I dont believe that its a nirvana problem and have had nothing but great quick and confidential service from them.
I'm not understanding...unless you put the root pointing up and the seed husk at the bottom of the hole. Please explain.

mush182002 said:

HEY i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WiT ALL OF MY SEEDS. AFTER A FEW DAYSZ OF NOTHiNG i WENT POKiNG AROUND iN THE SOiL JUST SO SEE iF THEY HAD DiED OR WHAT, AND i NOTiCED THAT THEY WERE CURLED DOWNWARD. i DiDNT MOVE iT OR ANYTHiNG THO. JUST LiGHTLY COVERED iT BACK UP AND THE NEXT DAY THEY BROKE THRU. i GUESS iT HAD TO SEE SOME LiGHT N THEN iT KNEW WHERE TO GO.

planted the right way with the root down and then they grow in like an s shape were the root turns up and the top turns down now looking like an S,
till it happend to me on my last batch i would have thought it vary strange and well still do but hey thats what happened.

quick suggestion before germinating put them in a cup or container and shake them up a bit(dont get crazy and ruin them)it will help weaken the shell and they will break open eisier.

also dont push down the dirt just place it ontop of the hole youve made for your seed. packing the dirt will give you the results you got.

Talking about retarded seeds ..... Anyone ever germinate , or should I say "try" to germinate , a batch of seeds only to have the shell split open and have the leaves pop out instead of the root ? ....... That's what is happening as I type this . .....So far none have survived . ....My guess is too much inbreeding . ......Anyone have any other theories ? .......Or remedies ? ....I was expecting good results from these. ......They are a cross of Afghanni and "Big Bud" . The seeds look perfectly viable , but are exceptionally small . After 6 days between paper towels only 5 of 25 have opened. ......Could it be possible for chemicals in the paper towels to have somehow affected the seeds ? ........ I've never seen this happen before , and I've been doing this for a long , long time.

Back
Top Bottom