Inexpensive nutes for first grow

John Dope

First grow has started and once I find my camera I will post a journal. I was looking for a set of inexpensive nutes that will get me through my first grow. I am growing in soil (may switch to coco) and am growing two trainwreck plants from seed. It's an all CFL grow in a closet. Im strapped for cash right now so anything will help. Just need a simple "starter set" so to speak. Thank you everyone.

PS: Plants are 13 days old and outside at the moment.

- johnny

If you're really strapped for cash, the cheapest veg nute is urine mixed 1/10 with water.

It has to be fresh, and if you take a multivitamin with minerals a few hours before, it will be even better.

before you go ewwwwwwww, consider that we smoke weed fertilized with things like chicken crap, bat crap, worm crap, fermented fish, etc.

Well i kno if you get Shultz All purpose Food plus. its $5.49 at home depot and i used it for my first grow and sometimes put a few drops into my current grow, but it works great for ppl on a budget
10-15-10

:surf:

I have a friend with some mighty healthy plants and he used tomato plant fertilizer he bought from Home Depot/Lowes. Personally I have used Miracle Grow and would strongly discourage you from using that. I have recently switched to Fox Farms products and it is making all the difference in the world with my plants. In all reality the $20 I spent for Fox farms Grow Big really wasn't that much to spend.

Fish emulsion is very easy to find and inexpensive. It is usually high in Nitrogen which makes it an excellent veg. nutrient. Brands mixed with kelp emulsion usually have decent levels of other macro nutrients as well.

Urine is the ultimate in cheap. However, IMO it is a poor idea merely because, depending on your diet, it contains varying levels of salts. Urine is on average very high in salinity in contrast to the low amount of Nitrogen it offers. Salt build-up that goes unchecked in the soil after time also becomes toxic to the plants.

A small bottle of fish/kelp emulsion costs about $7.00 and can be found at most garden stores and centers.

I could collect free seabird guano at a local breakwater. The rocks are completely white with it.

I would advise against that. Bird guano (chicken, sea-bird, etc.) is very "hot", meaning it will cause nutrient burn very easily. Unless your willing to experiment on and perhaps damage your plants I would pass. :peace:

Not disagreeing RooRman, and it's probably a good idea to flush periodically if using urine, but that's generally a good idea with any nutes.

I agree that pretty decent nutes are available for just a few dollars, so that would be the best option.

thanks for the heads up on the bird guano.

A huge bag of quality compost can be bought at home depot for less than $4. Compost is a natural fertilizer that will break down for your plants to feed on when it gets wet. It wont ever burn your plants. You mix it in with your dirt every time you transplant and you give the plant about a 1/2 inch of top dressing once it's in the pot.
That will take you thru veg and preflower. For the aggressive flowering stage you can use sea weed kelp and or bat guano to produce hi quality buds. Best of all it's all organic!

I just got 2 8oz bottles of Dyna-Gro (Grow and Bloom), for right at $15 delivered for both. Using 1/4 to 1/2 tsp/gallon these should last for several grows. The grow is 7-9-5 and the bloom is 3-12-6.

Dyna-Gro is 100% complete with all major, minor, and micro elements.

I've used Jack's Classic for years and only needs some cal/mag to complete. The small tubs are ~$5 each. Standard grow is 20-20-20 and the Blossom Booster is 10-30-20.

There are reasons that Dyna-Gro comes in 55 gallon drums and Jack's in 25# bags. The reason is, many large professional growers use them. If they didn't work well, they wouldn't have stayed around for better than 40 years.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get good nutes.

DD

Back
Top Bottom