Insect identification

Damonchari

Hello! Haven't had too many problems with pests this outdoor grow besides the occasional chewed up leaf. I've been finding these guys quite often (pictured below) and the closest thing I can find to them are the brown stink bug, or the spined soldier beetle.

Both are almost identical but the soldier beetle is a predator of soft bodied caterpillars (gods work). I held him for a bit and was kind of smelling for the tell tale stink that they release when threatened.
I was wondering what are your thoughts? Was I sniffing a stink bug or a spined soldier beetle? Haha.
20180825_150156.jpg
20180825_150148.jpg
20180825_150140.jpg

Thanks

The latter (in my opinion).

You of the good eyes and better camera (or vice versa) ought to set up a Send Your Buds - err... Bugs ;) Here for Identification address. I'm getting to the point where I occasionally find myself thinking, "Nice, these blurs are a lot larger than the blurs I see here 'in real life'," lol.

But then who'd want to receive random unidentified critters on a regular basis? I find life to be challenging enough with the odd cat or two showing up. And those, I can still see.

BtW, this thread - with the pictures and all - would go nicely in our Problems, Pests & Disease Control section. @Swashp , do you mind if I use the "Report Post" function to see if I can get a staff member to move it there? I'm guessing that others will eventually encounter these bugs.

You of the good eyes and better camera (or vice versa) ought to set up a Send Your Buds - err... Bugs;) Here for Identification address. I'm getting to the point where I occasionally find myself thinking, "Nice, these blurs are a lot larger than the blurs I see here 'in real life'," lol.

But then who'd want to receive random unidentified critters on a regular basis? I find life to be challenging enough with the odd cat or two showing up. And those, I can still see.

BtW, this thread - with the pictures and all - would go nicely in our Problems, Pests & Disease Control section. @Swashp , do you mind if I use the "Report Post" function to see if I can get a staff member to move it there? I'm guessing that others will eventually encounter these bugs.
I don't mind atall :D
A big difference between very similar looking bugs. I'm sure someone could use the info from the picture above.

Found a spined soldier bug in my grow today...let's go team! Thanks for the ID!

The more I garden, the more interested I've become in the invertebrates living their lives along with me.

Back
Top Bottom