Intake & outtake fans during lights out

Natedog420grows

I run my outtake/intake fans on a day-night sensing temp controller which works perfect to control heat and humidity during lights on. During lights out, there is no heat source to cause the fans to kick on and do its thing and then shut off after a while and I am intaking frigid winter air from outside. I introduced a tiny heater on a seperate temp controller and the best I could do was run the heater and fans simultaneously to keep it ventilated and not freeze the plants but I feel it's super wasteful in terms of power usage. I went back to the drawing board. I picked up a timer and set the intake/outtake to run for 20 minutes at the top of every hour during lights out period. I am just wondering if 20 minutes of outtake/intake per hour during lights out would be sufficient or should I increase the frequency or the duration of it?? It's crazy how mind boggling it can be to get these things properly automated. I have been losing sleep trying to make it work. I've got it figured out but I just want to make sure I'm moving enough air at night. I appreciate any input!

:lot-o-toke::ganjamon:

I run my outtake/intake fans on a day-night sensing temp controller which works perfect to control heat and humidity during lights on. During lights out, there is no heat source to cause the fans to kick on and do its thing and then shut off after a while and I am intaking frigid winter air from outside. I introduced a tiny heater on a seperate temp controller and the best I could do was run the heater and fans simultaneously to keep it ventilated and not freeze the plants but I feel it's super wasteful in terms of power usage. I went back to the drawing board. I picked up a timer and set the intake/outtake to run for 20 minutes at the top of every hour during lights out period. I am just wondering if 20 minutes of outtake/intake per hour during lights out would be sufficient or should I increase the frequency or the duration of it?? It's crazy how mind boggling it can be to get these things properly automated. I have been losing sleep trying to make it work. I've got it figured out but I just want to make sure I'm moving enough air at night. I appreciate any input!

:lot-o-toke::ganjamon:
What is the temperature and humidity during lights off and lights on?

You i set my timer to run heater right after exhaust shuts off, imo the exhaust way overpowers a tiny heater and running both is not beneficial. I had my exhaust running in 15 min intervals every hour or so...but depends on your temps that can be adjusted to suit.

20 mins every hour i think is okay, do you know whether you have negative positive pressure in your tent? And how many fans are in there?

I had the same problem pondering the best way to not waste energy.

What is the temperature and humidity during lights off and lights on?

You i set my timer to run heater right after exhaust shuts off, imo the exhaust way overpowers a tiny heater and running both is not beneficial. I had my exhaust running in 15 min intervals every hour or so...but depends on your temps that can be adjusted to suit.

20 mins every hour i think is okay, do you know whether you have negative positive pressure in your tent? And how many fans are in there?

I had the same problem pondering the best way to not waste energy.
I do have negative pressure when my fans are running. I have a 165 cfm Active air for outtake and a 195cfm by Hydro farm for intake that is made of plastic and pulls no where near 195 cfm. They are very effective together. I am maintaining around 69 with the exhaust going and 70 with it off during lights out. During lights on I keep it warm between 77-82 and I use green pad Co2 generators or meat pads. Unfortunately with outside winter air, a heater is necessary during dark period. The one I use is tiny and it's a perfect match for my outtake intake where temps stay right where I want them. Very controllable. This is an older pick of my current grow but you can see the little heater I use sitting on a plate. They sell them at walmart. A little heater goes a long way in an enclosed space!
20200123_094204.jpg

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom