Iron specific nutrient?

Opar

I have 4 plants in my grow. One has been yellow since almost the start. I was going to chop her but left her in the mix. I treated all 4 the same, and the other 3 are healthy. I just read about iron deficiency and it looks to me like that is what she has. I’m into flower and don’t want to use the cal mag with iron... is there a different nutrient that does essentially only iron that I could be looking at? Or perhaps a soil amendment to the coco? I’m at a loss, she’s progressing I just want to try to get the max out of her and I don’t even know if the buds will be any good in her condition... anyone who has corrected an iron deficiency in coco without using the cal mag plus?

Going to research that right now, didn’t even think of a foliar (spelling?) spray... thanks for the idea!

I read that iron is very hard to correct via the rootzone. Its better to mix it with a pinch of fulvic and spray directly imho. I’d try on a single leaf and if it’s working without a hitch just do the rest. At least that would be the way to go for me. I never tried correcting an iron deficiency by the way, this is theoratical.

Gotcha... Ill have to try to find something re: concentration of formula... I may try through the roots first, although I also read that iron is not mobile... but I think my pH is ok, I think this has been since some stress when seedling.... I’ll document how it goes... if anyone has an idea on strength of formula for spray, I’d love to hear it... 8% trace element chelated iron

Gotcha... Ill have to try to find something re: concentration of formula... I may try through the roots first, although I also read that iron is not mobile... but I think my pH is ok, I think this has been since some stress when seedling.... I’ll document how it goes... if anyone has an idea on strength of formula for spray, I’d love to hear it... 8% trace element chelated iron

Until someone with experience chimes in, 1/2 or 1/4 is a good starting point imo. Then you can increase depending on the plants reaction.

I mixed in the chelates iron according to label strength... looks like iron filings.... 1/8 tsp for 10 litres of water. I also mixed in my nutrients:

Tap water 120ppm, chelated iron broughtnit up to 130ppm, estimateds.... rhino skin (5ml - ish) Superthrive (4 drops ish), flora nova bloom to 700ppm.

Fed only her, gave my other plants their normal feed (same as above, minus the iron and a little more Superthrive and rhino skin cuz 5 gallons of mix).

Iron tinted the water noticeably red... pretty cool, I hope this brings her colouring back to normal, she is making pistols but I don’t see much trichome development :(

Ok so ... before pics...

BCA97D48-1DE1-423B-A137-FC45CB84C8BF.jpeg
DB794004-B9E6-4224-AA8B-B45B605415EC.jpeg
3791E477-EF62-4507-87F6-C75868739361.jpeg
2B6B5AFB-AA7A-48C4-BBC4-D423CE3459CD.jpeg

Hard to show the true colours I guess... but you get the idea...

@Emilya might be able to chime in.
She’s good with these type of issues.

Hey thanks Adam, and wow, nice signature help list!
Thanks! Everything that has helped me I’ve added to my sig.

Quick update, no noticeable change, I fed her same solution again... not sure how smart it is to keep feeding the iron... we’ll see tomorrow
@Emilya
Do you have any ideas on this one?
Probably not a surprise to many, but yes I do...
First, I am surprised that no one has asked @Opar what pH the feeding solutions have been given at, just to get to the root cause of why there is a deficiency. PH should always be the first avenue that is explored because it is the 2nd most common mistake made in indoor growing.
But let's talk about the deficiency being presented to us. I don't see just an iron deficiency, but yet everyone jumped into that rabbit hole and now you have found that the application of extra iron did not help.
I also have a big problem with using SuperThrive during flower. During veg this stuff is great and I think it adds a lot of beneficial micronutrients to the grow, but during flower this stuff can be poison. I highly discourage its use once flowering has started.
The main problem as I see it is described in your description of your methods @Opar, and I am going to defy some of the advice you have probably been following all along. I want you to realize that you are no longer dealing with young plants... you have thriving flowering plants in front of you... and their needs have increased well beyond needing you to ration the nutes. The nutes and the recommendations for their use are for healthy plants under good light, and once you have big plants, holding your ppms to low levels, simply because you read somewhere that is the way to do it, is going to give results just like what you have here, a general overall yellowing. You have to read your plants, and I think that if you have been following advice to feed at 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended amount, you should re-evaluate your decisions in this matter after seeing this yellowing... I see a hungry plant with not just one deficiency, but an overall deficiency of all nutrients, except of course calcium, magnesium and now iron... I think you have those handled. :) I do however think that 700ppm of flowering nutes at this stage is quite below the level that is needed, just based on what I am seeing in your photograph.

So, let's review your pH and the ppms you are giving your nutes at... I think therein we will find our answers. Distrusting the coco system you have chosen to use or the nutes you brought with you to get through this and thinking that you should now investigate a soil amendment of some kind is defeatist thinking and it is going to prove to be counterproductive if you go down these routes... lets solve the basic issues first and figure out what went wrong, and of course that first involves getting a valid diagnosis before rushing willy nilly into a fix.

Thank you @Emilya! I appreciate your input!

I mix my nutrient solution in a 5 gallon pail, and feed all 4 plants from that solution (excepting last 2 waterings which had a separate, iron supplemented solution for the one plant).

I totally agree and notice a little yellow on the new growth of both the bubba kush 2.0 and the healthy(ier) Blue Dream. This yellow plant was the fastest grower, so it would make sense she would display any deficiencies more...

my nutrient plan calls for discontinuing Superthrive in week 4, along with the silica. The mistake I think I’m making is indeed the ppm’s. Thank you for pointing this out to me. I’m still capping at the same ppm recommended by my nutrient regimen, the major difference being the gentlemen who I am following is using RO water, and I am using 100-120ppm tap water. So I will increase my bloom nutrient accordingly. I will try this solution on my yellowed plant first, and then if it doesn’t burn her, will feed the rest at the same rate. Either that or go and buy some RO water.

My pH is between 5.8 and 6.2. I haven’t checked the run off in awhile, but all plants were dialed in for awhile. I will check run off and change nutrient strength for tomorrow’s feeding.

My pH is 5.8-6.2 ish, and pretty consistent between in and out.
Very good, and I really think the increased nutes are going to be the fix. You already knew this subconsciously having noted that your fasted grower had the biggest problem.

Your pH is a little concerning though... there is a huge difference between 5.8 and 6.2 ish and you really should strive to be a little more accurate than that. If you are using paper test strips, invest in a $35 two decimal point digital meter...
Also, since you are at the upper range of the hydro pH range of 5.5-6.1, you may also find that there are some micronutrients that are most mobile down at the other end of the range. Coming in at 5.5 pH now and then can really help supercharge a grow.

@Emilya , Subconsciously yes, but as I read your post and was formulating my response, realization kicked in. Thank you!

I use a blue labs pH pen, recalibrated each month. I did temporarily use strips and the liquid in the vial, while I received a replacement blue labs pen under warranty.

By the way, one email with a photo of the problem and they processed my RMA right away and shipping took a little bit but I had it new pen within a few weeks. Top shelf Blue Labs!!

I will try to up the nutrients, if it persists I will certainly lower the pH a little, then a little more.

Thanks again @Emilya!

Ok so lots of growth and looking good, hard to tell if she’s greening up a little. I fed with a 800ppm solution (110 tap water). Fed all 4 plants, so I will definitely check for nute burn as I go forward, fingers crossed... I also increased intensity of light , due to lower temperatures... getting 800-900 ppfd to tallest part of canopy.... I will check later today to see how plants cope... I know too many changes at once are bad, but more light should mean more nutes right?

She’s bottom right here :

76419065-BE13-4364-AED6-D700869347CF.jpeg

And top right here... I need to get a normal light to get a non-hps photo, but you can see the shade difference from bottom right, which is same strain (blue dream).
F74682D9-9B71-496E-9FF7-E0067C1CBBBA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom