Is My Feminized Photo Seed Plant Really A Male?

BTW: It looks like they are just about to pop open and dump pollen. As such, REMOVE THE MALE FROM YOUR GROW AREA, Like NOW! Some seeds will not ruin your crop. Even if you want to breed them, move the male out of the grow area. If I were breeding it, I would cut all but one or 2 blooming branches off the male, and use them to pollinate a few branches of a female.
Too late. Alot of the females have turned,as evidenced by the photo. They`re screwed

This is the worst case of pollination I have EVER seen. Iam gutted for you,mate. Damn it !!

What is so bad about pollination and making seeds? I do it all the time. I do not see any females there that have turned. I do seed runs here every year and my gals do not 'turn' when pollinated. They typically keep on blooming, and the pollinated flowers swell and produce seeds. But it is not an overnight process.

I've done a few grows but I always had feminized seeds and so I never really bothered checking for sex before. By the time I noticed they were pretty far gone.

The two plants do look different even though they're supposed to be LA Cookies feminized. I won't blindly trust seeds anymore.

To add to the confusion I have a clone that I was going to use as a mother but I didn't keep track of which plant it came from so 33% chance it's a male too. I've switched it to flowering and am watching it closely.

Anyway live and learn, I'm letting them continue and worst case I get a whole bunch of seeds (although unreliable) I also brushed some pollen on to a few buds just in case the pollen hand't spread already. So best case I get some good buds and a few with seeds. We'll see how it goes.

Yep. You have to label your seeds and tag your plants, and keep track! It can be hard to do, even when you tag and label. I ran some clones a few years ago and by golly, some clones that I rooted that I though were White Widow turned out to be Blue Dream. Turns out that I rotated the cloner lid and I had them marked by row number on the cloner base. Bad design. The lid now gets labeled with blue tape & Sharpie.

These days I mark my germinating 'pens', pots and cloning ports with all strains with a Sharpie on blue tape. Then when the plants are over a foot tall I also tag my plants with the strain as well as transfer the label to the pots I grow them in as I size them up. I also mark them with their sex after I prove them (I grow mainly standard photos from seed). Then of course I have to keep track of my seeds after harvesting and my overall seed collection. It is very easy to lose track, even with only a dozen or less plants, clones and seedlings at a time. So I label first, then germinate, plant, cut, clone, or harvest.

Feminized seeds are produced by reverse sexing a plant which is a temporary thing... however at one point in time the original strains ancestor plant would of 100% been a hermie at some point.. so whilst feminizing is 99% guaranteed the plant will still be able to be a boy the ability doesnt go anywhere. Plant is smart and knows how to survive :)

What is so bad about pollination and making seeds? I do it all the time. I do not see any females there that have turned. I do seed runs here every year and my gals do not 'turn' when pollinated. They typically keep on blooming, and the pollinated flowers swell and produce seeds. But it is not an overnight process.
Great if you want lots of seeds,but when pollinated,the plant loses thc which assists in the production of seeds.

Great if you want lots of seeds,but when pollinated,the plant loses thc which assists in the production of seeds.

Your statement is somewhat contradictory. Lots of seeds will impact the potency by weight, but if you only want a few seeds, THC impact is negligible. Also THC production is localized in the plant, so if you only pollinate a few lower branches and leave the top branches unpollinated, the top branches will be unaffected by the seed production. Also THC is not lost during seed production. Seed production generally halts the production of more flowers on a pollinated branch, which in turn lowers new THC production on that branch.

In general it is an urban legend that seeded weed has low potency. All we had for decades was seeded brick and bag weed. We got very very stoned from it. The more modern higher yield THC strains are a result of breeding more than a result of growing seedless females (sinsemilia). Sinsemilia will get you more bud volume (and thus more THC by weight) due to the lack of heavy seeds present in the colas, but seeded weed can be every bit as potent as sinsemilia can. In other words, an oz of sinsemilia will get you more stone for the buck due to the lack of seeds present, because seeds are heavy and they do not get you high.

Feminized seeds are produced by reverse sexing a plant which is a temporary thing... however at one point in time the original strains ancestor plant would of 100% been a hermie at some point.. so whilst feminizing is 99% guaranteed the plant will still be able to be a boy the ability doesnt go anywhere. Plant is smart and knows how to survive :)

Several things to clarify here. Cannabis plats are like humans. We are defined sexually by genetic coding (genotype), and our sex is induced and expresses (phenotype) by hormones. If you use chemicals to induce a herm on a female, the genetic trait for herming will not be there, so subsequent generations are unlikely to herm. Cannabis originally had a low occurring genetic trait to herm in the wild, and it usually occurs from stress or a hormone imbalance. In the case of a natural herming Cannabis plants, feminized seeds should not be produced from self breeding (S1), or the S1 seed plants are highly likely to become herms in later generations. That is because herming is a genetic trait in Cannabis. To do fems right you need to chemically induce a herm, or cross a natural genetic female herm male flower with another standard non-herm genetic female Cannabis plant. That way you cut the herm genetic trait in half. Do this in progressive generations and the herm trait is reduced further. Good fem seed producers will do this to reduce the occurrence of herms from their fem seeds. Unfortunately a lot of seed produces do not take the steps needed to produce fem seeds properly, and many fem seeds produce herms. Or even males.

Strains like ChemDog (aka ChenDawg) were produced by a few male flowers on an otherwise genetic female DogBud plant. Hence they have the natural herm genetic trait. Of the 13 or so seeds that were gotten in a few bags of DogBud weed, one was a male, the rest were females that produced the various clones of ChemDog line. The male may have been a genetic female, but we cannot know that. What we do know is that as a result of our high rate of feminizing Cannabis seeds, we have increased the herming gene in the overall population of Cannabis plants growing in the world now.

Your statement is somewhat contradictory. Lots of seeds will impact the potency by weight, but if you only want a few seeds, THC impact is negligible. Also THC production is localized in the plant, so if you only pollinate a few lower branches and leave the top branches unpollinated, the top branches will be unaffected by the seed production. Also THC is not lost during seed production. Seed production generally halts the production of more flowers on a pollinated branch, which in turn lowers new THC production on that branch.

In general it is an urban legend that seeded weed has low potency. All we had for decades was seeded brick and bag weed. We got very very stoned from it. The more modern higher yield THC strains are a result of breeding more than a result of growing seedless females (sinsemilia). Sinsemilia will get you more bud volume (and thus more THC by weight) due to the lack of heavy seeds present in the colas, but seeded weed can be every bit as potent as sinsemilia can. In other words, an oz of sinsemilia will get you more stone for the buck due to the lack of seeds present, because seeds are heavy and they do not get you high.
You are correct about partial pollinisation. I meant too far gone,like when the buds break up ,if you know what I mean.

Great information. It's a lot to take in. Thought I'd update for anyone interested.

After pulling the male I kept him around to get pollen from. Although there were lots of pods (in the earlier pics) I think I was lucky and they weren't quite mature. It took a few days and then the pollen started coming out when i gave the branches a shake. I used a small paint brush and collected what I could in to a small jar over the next few days.

The two female plants continued growing quite a bit over the next couple of weeks. I pulled a few lower buds to the side and brushed a little pollen on them, on both plants. In the picture posted you can see the pink pipe cleaner that held back the few buds that were pollinated.

The hope is that most of the plant will not be pollinated but still getting some seeds from a few of the buds.

Now at day 41 of flower the buds are a lot farther along.

I may be wishful thinking but I can see pods forming on the branches I pollinated but not on the rest of the plant. I have a couple of pictures but I couldn't get a good shot of the ones with the pods forming. One plant is yellowing earlier than the other or is finishing faster. The pics above of the SCROG show the one to the left (basically half the rectangle of the whole area) with the other on the right. You can see that the left one is more yellow.

I'll know more in a couple of weeks when it gets near the end.

Updating for information purposes now that I've harvested the plants. Reminder, I'd found a male plant in the three plants I was growing, pretty far along before I removed it.

It seems by sheer luck, more than any skill, it worked out. I used a brush and applied pollen I collected from the male plant to a couple of branches on each of the two plants. The buds did not grow too big on those branches but I managed to get 7 seeds from them.

I've dried the buds now from the rest of the two plants and have about 120 grams. I've looked through the buds and there aren't any more seeds that I can see, so it seems that the pollination was kept to the parts I brushed on.

If you look at the pictures earlier in the post the male plant was a long ways a long with lots of pollen sacs. I should have noticed long before except the seeds were supposed to be feminized and so I wasn't expecting it. I wonder if the plant was not particularly fertile or whether it's not quite as easy as it seems to pollinate a plant. Maybe I just got lucky or is it possible to contaminate the female plant but not get seeds?

Anyways I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out. From the 3 seeds I've grown two female plants to harvest, got 7 seeds, 1 male plant harvested for pollen (in the freezer) and 2 strong clones (1 a few weeks from the finish) the other as a Mother for a few more weeks.

Here's some pics

Back
Top Bottom