Is my light set up good?

Pakkman223

420-magazine-mobile280601132.jpg

I'm using a 300 watt LED and a 150 watt SATCO plant light. Not sure if these lights are ideal for my grow.
Jus wanna hear what y'all think. Maybe I should add another satco 150 light just to have 600 watt's on top on the canopy. Again, need experienced growers input.

Yeah 300w isn't near enough for a 4X4. I wish I had space for a 4x4, I have a mars 1200w sat brand new in its box.

What wattage light should I go with? I'm thinking 900 watts of LED with a 150 watt SATCO plant light so 1,050watts of light would be sufficient to yield a pound or a little more from both plants? I kno light equals yield and quality on my talent. What do u thinkk I should run in my tent to get a yield like that?

They say a good number is 50w per square foot. A 4x4 is 12 sqft. So about 600w is what your after. That's 600w draw from the wall, not the claimed wattage from product. A 300w led will draw about 125w from the wall.

And what you mean by this is my plants with 300 watts of led and 300 watts of SATCO plant light are only truly getting 125 from my led?

I personally use a separate 300 watt fixture for each plant. I have a 32"x32" inch tent with 4 lights in it. I prefer that setup over one big light because it's easier to vary the distance between the plant top and the light fixture when plants are different heights. During veg I keep the lights 18" above the plant tops and during bloom I have it 12" away. As far as quoted wattage and actual; a 300 watt LED may have 60 5-watt diodes, but the manufacturer doesn't drive all those diodes at 100%. Most manufacturers will drive them at about 50%. So a 300 watt unit is really only pulling about 150 watts from the wall.

IMG_20170426_042844.jpg

I personally use a separate 300 watt fixture for each plant. I have a 32"x32" inch tent with 4 lights in it. I prefer that setup over one big light because it's easier to vary the distance between the plant top and the light fixture when plants are different heights. During veg I keep the lights 18" above the plant tops and during bloom I have it 12" away. As far as quoted wattage and actual; a 300 watt LED may have 60 5-watt diodes, but the manufacturer doesn't drive all those diodes at 100%. Most manufacturers will drive them at about 50%. So a 300 watt unit is really only pulling about 150 watts from the wall.

IMG_20170426_042844.jpg

Wouldn't having 4 300 watt led's mean the top of the canopy is only truly getting 600 watts?
And if I use LED and cmh lights would my plants be stunted in growth or should I invest in 3 more led's and just have my SATCO Cmh plant lights for side lighting? Or should I switch to hid or hps

You are correct, my 4 300 watt units draw about 600 watts total from the wall. For better penetration, I use training techniques; LST, Topping, Ponytailing, Bowl Training. Having some sort of side lighting may help but frankly I don't have space for it since I'm already cramming 4 plants in such a small space. As for changing to HPS, I don't see where it would be any more advantageous than any other light mounted above your plants. On my 1st grow I only had 2 LEDs and tried to have 2 plants share one light. It was ok at first, but as the plants got bigger and spread out, a 300 watter just didn't have a big enough footprint to cover all the area the plants took up. It looks like you have 2 plants, so one more 300 watt LED, so they each have their own, would probably do you fine.

You are correct, my 4 300 watt units draw about 600 watts total from the wall. For better penetration, I use training techniques; LST, Topping, Ponytailing, Bowl Training. Having some sort of side lighting may help but frankly I don't have space for it since I'm already cramming 4 plants in such a small space. As for changing to HPS, I don't see where it would be any more advantageous than any other light mounted above your plants. On my 1st grow I only had 2 LEDs and tried to have 2 plants share one light. It was ok at first, but as the plants got bigger and spread out, a 300 watter just didn't have a big enough footprint to cover all the area the plants took up. It looks like you have 2 plants, so one more 300 watt LED, so they each have their own, would probably do you fine.

I think I'm going to invest in an 3 more leds and since I'm Ina 4x4x6.5
That way when my canopy is 2 ft tall I'll LST it and spread it around using the SCROG technique and make it about 1 foot but fill 4x4 space completely with canopy and by have the 1200 watts of led (600 from wall) my plants should get the correct par levels and I should get my pound or a little more yield without the need to add a ac to my tent.
Please lmk if u think I should do this I have the funds just need the experienced growers like yourself to step in and guide me

And what you mean by this is my plants with 300 watts of led and 300 watts of SATCO plant light are only truly getting 125 from my led?
A good general rule is 40cm above canopy. It differ a little from brand to brand. Try to lower to 40cm and see how the plants react.

Give them a couple of days :) what you'll notice first is that they grow faster when you keep the light closer. If you bring it too far however you risk frying them. Give it a few days and if the plant is still looking happy, you're good to go :)

From the photos you posted - I can't see any sign of stretching which is good. That tells me the plants are indeed getting sufficient light to grow. I would still put them closer than your photos though, but as I do not know your spesific light - look out for light burns just in case :) But it should work out

Back
Top Bottom