Is the fungus dead or alive?

HCHACKENBUSH

i am 2 weeks into flowering and i noticed powdery mildew on some of the leaves. i did some research and decided to try the milk and water foliar spray. after the milky spray dried i still had a white residue on the leaves. i dont know whether the mildew is still there or if the milk brew killed it and it's just the dead (but still white) powdery mildew.
thanks in advance.
hchackenbush

The milk didn't kill it and won't. PM is pretty much forever.

A sulfur burner/vaporizer is your best bet for control.

Wet

Droopy Dog is unfortunately correct. The white powdery stuff you see on the leaf is actually the reproductive stage of the mold. It embedded itself anywhere from a few days to a few weeks ago. By the time it makes its presence known millions of additional spores have already been spread.

You can control PM, but it will always be somewhere on your plant, dormant or otherwise. Should you decide to tough it out cut all affected leaves and continue to spray once every 5 - 7 days with diluted milk. This creates an acidic environment on the surface of the leaf that hinders mold growth (ex: think of how poorly cannabis does when the pH is out of wack). Ventilation is a double-edged sword. You'll need to keep ample airflow to control humidity and spore germination, yet this will also guarantee an even wind dispersal from existing colonies.

The next best alternatives are copper spray and treating with a sulfur burner, both common practices for treating PM on all plants. If you can't control PM with milk and pruning look into either of these options. There is plenty of info here and on google about both methods.

Remember: Whatever your choice, sterilize your grow room before bringing new plants in or the problem will come back. Spores are designed to sit around for years until conditions are right again.

In veg I have seen a soapy water spray-down in the middle of summer heat with sponging and trimming bring a mother back from the brink. but then all the clones ended up having problems down the road. I have also heard that Azatrol is good for PM, if you can get the grow room really dry.

Overall, the best thing to do is cut out all the affected areas and increase airflow.

If you are over 4 weeks into 12/12, its a sad situation.

I personally refuse to smoke anything that has been affected by PM. I have also cut out entire grows because of it.

I bet you have a gnat problem too. the mildew gnats are usually present when the PM is going. Good Luck.

i am 2 weeks into flowering and i noticed powdery mildew on some of the leaves. i did some research and decided to try the milk and water foliar spray. after the milky spray dried i still had a white residue on the leaves. i dont know whether the mildew is still there or if the milk brew killed it and it's just the dead (but still white) powdery mildew.
thanks in advance.
hchackenbush

I discovered PM on my plants on the 6th week of flower. My room is always bleached and sparkling clean, great airflow and filtration. All that effort did not prevent fungus to penetrate. My guess is it was dormant on clones that I brought in this time, instead of using my own. Anyways, I did some research and came up with one perfect solution.

Recipe:
20ML Dutch Master ZONE per Gal
120 ML Dutch Master SATURATOR
PH 9.0 to 10.0

Mix adequate amount, as you must literally wash your plants. Pour the mix into pressurized sprayer, adjust the head to JET setting, instead of mist, and spray every leaf top and bottom, stems and buds, if any. Dont leave a dry spot. Let the water run down and clean your floors. Make sure you wash them under light, 2-3 hours prior nighttime. Repeat 3 days in a row.

In my case, 16 plants in Current Culture system were cleaned and no sign of it appeared ever since.

Back
Top Bottom