Powdery mildew treated but residue remained so have Bud washing question

Jacklem

420 Member
Hi All, I had a sweet 8 foot Chocolate mint Kush plant that got an infestation of powdery mildew about 2 weeks prior to harvest. We treated with milk/water on sunny warm days. I’ve done this method successfully before but this time, the milk bonded to the plant. When the dried milk dried and flaked off, the leaves were healthy and green 5 days prior to harvest. We tried to wash off the Milk residue while the plant was in the ground with a commercial botanical brand but didn’t work. Fast forward to harvest day....the buds looked so dirty that I washed the entire harvest in 3% hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and rinsed with clean water. I probably knocked off half the trichomes but I was very concerned about any mildew. I’ve had the weed in jars for about a week and there’s no new mildew growth under a 60x microscope. I’m also attaching a pic of one of the washed buds. What do you think? Do you think I’ve effectively killed any chance of mildew by aggressively treating it prior to harvest and then washing it thoroughly? Do the trichomes look badly damaged? I’m newish to growing so help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 857DE4EA-F0F7-4F87-9BF3-DFE70AD160CF.jpeg
    857DE4EA-F0F7-4F87-9BF3-DFE70AD160CF.jpeg
    870.7 KB · Views: 448
  • 771994CD-F216-41ED-92FA-1D4143B86585.jpeg
    771994CD-F216-41ED-92FA-1D4143B86585.jpeg
    797.6 KB · Views: 464
Looks ok to me. Growing outside you always gonna have PM spores. They are everywhere anyway.

Bud washing yes - that works for PM. I don't use peroxide with baking soda I use 1/4 cup of baking soda with a 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 1 wash bucket and 2 rinse buckets.

Then hang dry for 3-4 days.

The water alone will kill the PM. The baking soda is a good cure while the plant is alive as well. Look into a product called Green Cure. Its made for outdoor use and worked for me this year. Doesn't work that great indoors but outside was perfect.

Also another treatment for live plants is sulfur. Safers garden friendly fungicide is sulfur. I use that indoors and a sulfur vaporizer indoors as well.

Your buds should be fine after a bud wash!

Thanks so much bobbrown14. If I keep them in jars for another 4 weeks and no PM is evident, do you think I’m in the clear to use them for smoke/edibles?. I share with someone that has autoimmune issues so don’t want to harm them in any way.

You need to keep them at the proper RH in jars. I use Boveda packs to regulate RH during curing. If you don't regulate with something you need to open lids every day for an hour or so to let the excess moisture out.

Regarding your friend with auto-immune issues. As long as they are not allergic to mold they should be fine. The thing about PM is its not harmful to hoo-man. It's everywhere like mold is but inhaling a bunch of mold all at the same time IF allergic can cause a reaction. I wood assume your friend knows if they have mold sensitivity? PM and mold are different.

PM is OK and not tested for toxicity when plants are tested for sale. What they test for are the chemicals that some people use to treat PM which are actually toxic to hoo-man.

I’m burping them for an hour a day right now but I’ll get some packs. As far as I know, the person doesn’t have an allergy to mould But I’m trying to be careful. I was actually going to send it to a lab to test it but I’m thinking with the info you provided, it won’t need to be tested for PM. it’s been in jars a week and is still pretty frosty with no sign of pm.

Back
Top Bottom