Is this a good soil alternative for indoor? Coco peat 60% coir 40%, perlite 20%

Scottxb73

Hi I'm just contemplating using Coco peat 60% Coco coir 40% and perlite 20% as a full replacement for soil, as I've been using potting mix and sure sick of root rot complications, worked ok in winter but not in the hotter period. Before then I was doing full roots in water but to hard, I just want easy as possible, so dirt substitute and I've seen this Coco peat and coir 60/40 for sale so I assume this is it's purpose... Any help cheers

Hi I'm just contemplating using Coco peat 60% Coco coir 40% and perlite 20% as a full replacement for soil, as I've been using potting mix and sure sick of root rot complications, worked ok in winter but not in the hotter period. Before then I was doing full roots in water but to hard, I just want easy as possible, so dirt substitute and I've seen this Coco peat and coir 60/40 for sale so I assume this is it's purpose... Any help cheers
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend :welcome:
For simplicity soil is better.
But I'm a huge Coco fan.
Coco is similar to hydroponic grows though.
You have to feed every day full strength nutrients with calmag at 5.8 ph.
If you can it's very productive.
Here is an Apple Betty I grew outside, fed over 270 times.

Jher in coco aswell.

Coco @Bill284 Method

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Wow beautiful, did you use the normal blend of Coco coir 70% and perlite 30% or just straight. The other things I want to ask was pot size I'm thinking about 2 gallon pots X 9 in my 1.2 x1.2 tent running 400w hps, that's was the plan, it has 6 now but to tall and potting mix giving me trouble, hopefully salvage this lot anyways and start again, this time using new soil substrate, I'm hoping for a 2-3 day watering interval if possible, hence the peat but how much is to much..

IMG_20240408_005257.jpg

Wow beautiful, did you use the normal blend of Coco coir 70% and perlite 30% or just straight. The other things I want to ask was pot size I'm thinking about 2 gallon pots X 9 in my 1.2 x1.2 tent running 400w hps, that's was the plan, it has 6 now but to tall and potting mix giving me trouble, hopefully salvage this lot anyways and start again, this time using new soil substrate, I'm hoping for a 2-3 day watering interval if possible, hence the peat but how much is to much..
I run coco, bokashi , frass , perlite & DYNOMYCO.
Check my threads 8 have pictorials.
I can help with any questions.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Yeh ok I get that makes sense and I will definitely try that in the future, for me now it was to get reliable but similar results, right now things are hectic my wife very sick, was just hoping to replace mould ridden root rot substrate with a suitable replacement of very similar attributes so to speak, rather have some leeway if possible as I might have a medical issue to deal with at any time, just need flexibility mostly but reliable to, I was hoping for a blend with similar water retention properties to the potting mix that can be watered a little every 3-4 days.
So right now this if my reasoning for this, my wife is terminally ill my time is limited but we still require something reliable that works.

Sorry I mean 60% Coco peat 40% Coco coir and added to the whole now 30% perlite, do you guys think this would be of similar water retention properties to the basic potting mix, I mean at the end of the day something better 2-4 days water times would be fine it's just on a daily basis I might struggle there, would even a 50/50 peat/coir mix be something close, I know the Coco peat hold to much water on its own and the Coco coir is just a bit fast to dry out, what ratios do you think is best suited for this senecio..
Or another idea how about Coco coir/perlite 70/30 mix in 3-4 gallon pots may not dry out so fast, water every 2 days, I know it sounds like nothing but 2day water is much better it allows me to contact mates and get things sorted if at hospital..
Cheers thanks for you help 👍😎

Ch

70/30 is a tried and tested winner and yes, I was gonna say larger pots would dry out slower
I don't always add perlite as coco holds plenty of air already and perlite holds no water
In coco you can leave 1/2" run-off in the tray or use capillary matting to keep them going for a few days

Welcome to the group. There are a lot of growers here and they cover all types of growing methods. The will present many options based on what others say and what is they see in messages.

... I've been using potting mix and sure sick of root rot complications,....
I have the feeling that the major part of your problem is not the potting mix but instead is that your potting mix is getting too wet too often. If the potting mix gets soggy every now and then it is OK but being constantly wet is not good. Has to do with the roots being exposed to some of the air that is found in potting mixes or soils. To help us figure out what is going on tell us the company name and the name of this potting mix even if you are not planning on using it again.

Also the company name and the name of their coco mix. I looked up coco peat and looked up coco coir and the description for both is the same. If you were to use this new mix you will have to water and mix in the fertilizers at least once a day since it sounds like it will be a coco grow. @Bill284 mentioned the feeding once a day in his first message in this thread, the msg with his photos where he says "You have to feed every day full strength nutrients with calmag at 5.8 ph.".

The other things I want to ask was pot size I'm thinking about 2 gallon pots X 9 in my 1.2 x1.2 tent running 400w hps, that's was the plan, it has 6 now but to tall and potting mix giving me trouble,
Or another idea how about Coco coir/perlite 70/30 mix in 3-4 gallon pots may not dry out so fast, water every 2 days, I know it sounds like nothing but 2day water is much better
If you were to use this new mix you will have to water and mix in the fertilizers at least once a day since it sounds like it will be a coco grow. @Bill284 mentioned the feeding once a day in his first message in this thread, the msg with his photos where he says "You have to feed every day full strength nutrients with calmag at 5.8 ph.".

Now after reading what you wrote in your messages I have to wonder if there is a different problem. The bigger the plant and the longer it has been in flower the more water it seems that they need even if they are in the best potting soil mix.

Once a flowering plant demands that much water the roots will start to die back if they get too dry. Thing is that a flowering plant does not replace damaged or dead roots as fast as they do while still in a vegetating stage. The growth rates are concentrated on flowers.

Have you had a chance to read the thread on How to Water a Potted Plant yet? That might not be the exact name but it is close. The woman who started that thread does a good job of explaining how to water for maximum root growth during the vegetating stage and that even more water is needed during flower.

Anyway, the name of the coco mix you bought or a photo of the bag will help get the best mix and the watering figured out.

I don't always add perlite as coco holds plenty of air already and perlite holds no water
I used to think that too but it seems that Perlite is good at holding water.

Take a clean bucket and add a known quantity of clean new Perlite. Four liters would be a good start for you UK guys. Then add water at half that amount so 2 liters. Stir it up and then use a large ladle or kitchen spoon and scoop out the Perlite and put it into another bucket. Check the first bucket and see how much water is left. Probably none. My testing of this tells me that 1 gallon or 4 liters of fresh Perlite will easily hold about 3 quarts or 3 liters of water.

Some Perlite suppliers now have notes on the bags about the use of the stuff for water retention. A photo of one of the recent bags of Perlite that I bought. There is a red bar with notes in it including something about aeration and holding water and amending soils.

I used to think that too but it seems that Perlite is good at holding water.

Take a clean bucket and add a known quantity of clean new Perlite. Four liters would be a good start for you UK guys. Then add water at half that amount so 2 liters. Stir it up and then use a large ladle or kitchen spoon and scoop out the Perlite and put it into another bucket. Check the first bucket and see how much water is left. Probably none. My testing of this tells me that 1 gallon or 4 liters of fresh Perlite will easily hold about 3 quarts or 3 liters of water.

Some Perlite suppliers now have notes on the bags about the use of the stuff for water retention. A photo of one of the recent bags of Perlite that I bought. There is a red bar with notes in it including something about aeration and holding water and amending soils.

🤔

Welcome to the group. There are a lot of growers here and they cover all types of growing methods. The will present many options based on what others say and what is they see in messages.

I have the feeling that the major part of your problem is not the potting mix but instead is that your potting mix is getting too wet too often. If the potting mix gets soggy every now and then it is OK but being constantly wet is not good. Has to do with the roots being exposed to some of the air that is found in potting mixes or soils. To help us figure out what is going on tell us the company name and the name of this potting mix even if you are not planning on using it again.

Also the company name and the name of their coco mix. I looked up coco peat and looked up coco coir and the description for both is the same. If you were to use this new mix you will have to water and mix in the fertilizers at least once a day since it sounds like it will be a coco grow. @Bill284 mentioned the feeding once a day in his first message in this thread, the msg with his photos where he says "You have to feed every day full strength nutrients with calmag at 5.8 ph.".

If you were to use this new mix you will have to water and mix in the fertilizers at least once a day since it sounds like it will be a coco grow. @Bill284 mentioned the feeding once a day in his first message in this thread, the msg with his photos where he says "You have to feed every day full strength nutrients with calmag at 5.8 ph.".

Now after reading what you wrote in your messages I have to wonder if there is a different problem. The bigger the plant and the longer it has been in flower the more water it seems that they need even if they are in the best potting soil mix.

Once a flowering plant demands that much water the roots will start to die back if they get too dry. Thing is that a flowering plant does not replace damaged or dead roots as fast as they do while still in a vegetating stage. The growth rates are concentrated on flowers.

Have you had a chance to read the thread on How to Water a Potted Plant yet? That might not be the exact name but it is close. The woman who started that thread does a good job of explaining how to water for maximum root growth during the vegetating stage and that even more water is needed during flower.

Anyway, the name of the coco mix you bought or a photo of the bag will help get the best mix and the watering figured out.

ive been using a moisture probe I never water untill max dry, I assume the temperature was to high in the soil as was 26-27 I have reduced temperature, was had it's been hot but last week cooler, the soil tem has dropped to 22-23, there slowly drying out I'll just give them a tiny drink wen starting to show signs of no water, try salvage this..

I assume my Rock (Rock grow, supercharger, nitro, then bloom supercharger, resonator) nutes should be ok and no need for cal/mag?

Back
Top Bottom