Issues with SSH plant in soil

5UP3RM4N

Hey all, happy new years! First time noob grow and completely winging it lol. Looking to get some advise on what to do with my Super SIlver Haze. Been trying to figure it out for a bit now. idn what to do. See below & thanks in advanced for taking the time to read my book lol.

Strain - Super Silver Haze
Age - Since late October
# of Plants - 1
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 5 Gallon Pale with a ton of holes in the bottom and sides.
Lights - (2) Budget LED 250w 3500k Rspec (running at 200W atm)
Nutrients - Technaflora. Sugar Daddy, BC Grow, BC Boost, GH caliMagic +GH PH UP&DOWN
(Also have GH FloraSeries Trio, but have not used them)
Medium - Pro Mix Premium potting mix with 25-30% Miracle Grow Perlite
PPM - 450-475ppm of nutes every third watering. Nutes, water, water. Repeat
PH - Mostly at 6.5-6.8 (see below)
RH - 40-60%
Room Temperature 69-75 F
Solution Temperature 69-78F Room temp. Water sits in open 5 gal pale for 5-7 days before use.
Tent Size - 4' x 4' x6.4'

Got a ton of hydro stuff. solid and bagged coco coir, MG perlite, pro mix vermiculite, FFOF, clonex rooting gel, pro mix rooting powder, rockwool, clay balls, DWC system, air pumps and stones, 3 gallon buckets, GH PH up and down

Feeding Schedule:
- Nov. 14: 1/2 dose 450ppm of Technaflora nutes listed above @ 6.6PH
- Nov 28: 1/2 dose of GH CaliMagic 7.0PH
- Dec 3 Watered with 6.8PH water
- Dec 9: Gave plant 475ppm 6.6-6.8PH ish
-Dec 17th Watered with tap water somewhere between 7.4-7.6ph+
-Dec 24th Watered with tap water somewhere between 7.4-7.6ph+

Quick Notes:
- Grew this one from seed.
- Transplanted from a small 1gal pot to a 5gal pale. I don't do that anymore though lol.
- I've only been watering it every 5-7 days. Takes a while to dry out.
- I have noticed a decrease in health with the high water PH, however the plant is still growing enough
- Watering seems to stun growth for 4-5 days then grow bigger right before i water again
- The plant started looking like crap even using the lower PH.
- I may have went a bit crazy on removing fan leaves and cloning branches on it. I also stopped doing that. I've taken a lot of fan leaves off.
- I have not had the chance to install my carbon filter/exhaust setup yet. Hoping to find time this weekend coming.

Problems:
- Leaf tips have been curled in for a while.
- Very tiny ends of leaf tips are burnt.
- Periodically see brown/goldish spots on leaves time to time.
- The leaves were fatter before and are now thin.
- Leaves are dropping.
- In the past week ish. Some smaller fan leaves yellowed right up and died right off.
- The leaf colour has lightened from what it used to be.

I've tried to follow the posted leaf diagnostic picture that always floats around the forum, however i have a hard time actually distinguishing which one mine is closest to because they are all so similar & i seem to have multiple issues.

I also let the plant get way to tall and I'm not sure what to do with it. I decided I'm gonna bud it.

SSH and chem dawg.JPGSuper Silver Haze (1).JPGSuper Silver Haze (2).JPGSuper Silver Haze (3).JPGSuper Silver Haze (4).JPGSuper Silver Haze (5).JPGSuper Silver Haze (7).JPGSuper Silver Haze (8).JPGSuper Silver Haze (9).JPG

Hey all, happy new years! First time noob grow and completely winging it lol. Looking to get some advise on what to do with my Super SIlver Haze. Been trying to figure it out for a bit now. idn what to do. See below & thanks in advanced for taking the time to read my book lol.

Strain - Super Silver Haze
Age - Since late October
# of Plants - 1
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 5 Gallon Pale with a ton of holes in the bottom and sides.
Lights - (2) Budget LED 250w 3500k Rspec (running at 200W atm)
Nutrients - Technaflora. Sugar Daddy, BC Grow, BC Boost, GH caliMagic +GH PH UP&DOWN
(Also have GH FloraSeries Trio, but have not used them)
Medium - Pro Mix Premium potting mix with 25-30% Miracle Grow Perlite
PPM - 450-475ppm of nutes every third watering. Nutes, water, water. Repeat
PH - Mostly at 6.5-6.8 (see below)
RH - 40-60%
Room Temperature 69-75 F
Solution Temperature 69-78F Room temp. Water sits in open 5 gal pale for 5-7 days before use.
Tent Size - 4' x 4' x6.4'

Got a ton of hydro stuff. solid and bagged coco coir, MG perlite, pro mix vermiculite, FFOF, clonex rooting gel, pro mix rooting powder, rockwool, clay balls, DWC system, air pumps and stones, 3 gallon buckets, GH PH up and down

Feeding Schedule:
- Nov. 14: 1/2 dose 450ppm of Technaflora nutes listed above @ 6.6PH
- Nov 28: 1/2 dose of GH CaliMagic 7.0PH
- Dec 3 Watered with 6.8PH water
- Dec 9: Gave plant 475ppm 6.6-6.8PH ish
-Dec 17th Watered with tap water somewhere between 7.4-7.6ph+
-Dec 24th Watered with tap water somewhere between 7.4-7.6ph+

Quick Notes:
- Grew this one from seed.
- Transplanted from a small 1gal pot to a 5gal pale. I don't do that anymore though lol.
- I've only been watering it every 5-7 days. Takes a while to dry out.
- I have noticed a decrease in health with the high water PH, however the plant is still growing enough
- Watering seems to stun growth for 4-5 days then grow bigger right before i water again
- The plant started looking like crap even using the lower PH.
- I may have went a bit crazy on removing fan leaves and cloning branches on it. I also stopped doing that. I've taken a lot of fan leaves off.
- I have not had the chance to install my carbon filter/exhaust setup yet. Hoping to find time this weekend coming.

Problems:
- Leaf tips have been curled in for a while.
- Very tiny ends of leaf tips are burnt.
- Periodically see brown/goldish spots on leaves time to time.
- Leaves are dropping.
- In the past week ish. Some smaller fan leaves yellowed right up and died right off.
- The leaf colour has lightened from what it used to be.

I've tried to follow the posted leaf diagnostic picture that always floats around the forum, however i have a hard time actually distinguishing which one mine is closest to because they are all so similar & i seem to have multiple issues.

I also let the plant get way to tall and I'm not sure what to do with it. I decided I'm gonna bud it.

SSH and chem dawg.JPGSuper Silver Haze (1).JPGSuper Silver Haze (2).JPGSuper Silver Haze (3).JPGSuper Silver Haze (4).JPGSuper Silver Haze (5).JPGSuper Silver Haze (7).JPGSuper Silver Haze (8).JPGSuper Silver Haze (9).JPG
I'm wondering if they are suffering from over watering. Even though you are watering every few days how good is the drainage in the bucket?

I'm wondering if they are suffering from over watering. Even though you are watering every few days how good is the drainage in the bucket?
The original poster mentioned that his Home Depot 5 gallon pails had a ton of holes in the bottom and sides so it should be able to drain well.

The soil is listed as Pro Mix Premium Potting Mix with extra perlite added in. The extra perlite should help with drainage but the soil mix itself is made up of peat moss (great water retention) and peat humus (not as good for water retention) and no mention of organic materials like compost or earthworm castings that will produce nutrients. I clicked on the link for the Pro Mix that 5UPRM4N provided and there is mention of time release fertilizers added in by the company. Plus they added some Polymer Gel for more water retention.

What looks off is that the top several inches of leaves are a very noticeable yellow and the lower leaves are more green than yellow.

@5UP3RM4N. are up using the pH Down stuff to lower the pH? Whenever the pH of the water is mention it does seem very high.

With some more people jumping in you should be able to turn this plant into a green & growing monster.

The original poster mentioned that his Home Depot 5 gallon pails had a ton of holes in the bottom and sides so it should be able to drain well.

The soil is listed as Pro Mix Premium Potting Mix with extra perlite added in. The extra perlite should help with drainage but the soil mix itself is made up of peat moss (great water retention) and peat humus (not as good for water retention) and no mention of organic materials like compost or earthworm castings that will produce nutrients. I clicked on the link for the Pro Mix that 5UPRM4N provided and there is mention of time release fertilizers added in by the company. Plus they added some Polymer Gel for more water retention.

What looks off is that the top several inches of leaves are a very noticeable yellow and the lower leaves are more green than yellow.

@5UP3RM4N. are up using the pH Down stuff to lower the pH? Whenever the pH of the water is mention it does seem very high.

With some more people jumping in you should be able to turn this plant into a green & growing monster.
I’ve been using General Hydroponics PH down to lower the PH. The water coming straight from my tap usually runs 7.6-8PH

I’ll lower te ph back down today. Should i be giving it nutrients though? or just water. Does it look pike it needs nutes?
I have no clue at the moment. First thing is to make sure that the pH of the water is within the proper range.

After that I can't help. I do not use the fertilizers or nutrients that you have available but something is going wrong. You mention in the first message.....
That is not a good sign.

You submitted 9 photos in the first message and some of them show a green plant and some show a yellow plant. I have to think that they are the same plant and that the photos are taken a week or more apart. When was the photo of the green plant taken and how many days or weeks later were the photos of the yellow plant taken?

I have no clue at the moment. First thing is to make sure that the pH of the water is within the proper range.

After that I can't help. I do not use the fertilizers or nutrients that you have available but something is going wrong. You mention in the first message.....

That is not a good sign.

You submitted 9 photos in the first message and some of them show a green plant and some show a yellow plant. I have to think that they are the same plant and that the photos are taken a week or more apart. When was the photo of the green plant taken and how many days or weeks later were the photos of the yellow plant taken?
Sorry thats a picture lighting mistake. The plants not actually yellow. i’ll take more pics tomorrow when i’m home. I ended up giving er 6.6 ph water and 575ppm nutes. checked it today and it looked better

ok, i'm just saying what I would do. I would flush the soil really well with like ten gallons of ph 6.5 filtered spring water (tap water has a lot of variables). it's good to narrow down exactly what you are pouring into the soil. tap water bad. then just basic nutrients at low doses. less is more with the nutes.
tap water bad
small amounts of nutrients at a time

I see some major deficiencies going on here and I will hazard some guesses as to the cause. I think most of the problem comes from trying to use hydro nutes that are designed to work in the lower pH range of 5.5-6.1 and adjusting the pH up to the soil range of 6.2-6.8. This usually works ok, but you have to give the nutes a chance to see the lower part of the range where most of the non mobile elements are the most available to the plant. If you adjust your pH to 6.5 and above, the upward drift the soil provides will quickly take the pH of your liquids out of the usable pH range and lock out a good portion of your nutes.
I would have invested in soil nutes to do a soil grow... but like I said, this is the minor problem. The major problem is pH. Try adjusting your fluids, both water with nutes and your plain water sessions, to 6.3 pH instead of the upper end where you have been. Also, get rid of the water/water/nutes idea and realize that your plants need more nutrition than that, and go with the much more traditional method in soil, water/nutes/water/nutes. Also, if you have not flushed (3x the container size plain water) your soil lately, I suggest you probably have some salt lockout going on too.

I see some major deficiencies going on here and I will hazard some guesses as to the cause. I think most of the problem comes from trying to use hydro nutes that are designed to work in the lower pH range of 5.5-6.1 and adjusting the pH up to the soil range of 6.2-6.8. This usually works ok, but you have to give the nutes a chance to see the lower part of the range where most of the non mobile elements are the most available to the plant. If you adjust your pH to 6.5 and above, the upward drift the soil provides will quickly take the pH of your liquids out of the usable pH range and lock out a good portion of your nutes.
I would have invested in soil nutes to do a soil grow... but like I said, this is the minor problem. The major problem is pH. Try adjusting your fluids, both water with nutes and your plain water sessions, to 6.3 pH instead of the upper end where you have been. Also, get rid of the water/water/nutes idea and realize that your plants need more nutrition than that, and go with the much more traditional method in soil, water/nutes/water/nutes. Also, if you have not flushed (3x the container size plain water) your soil lately, I suggest you probably have some salt lockout going on too.

yea. I couldn't have said it better. don't give up

Thank you for the reply! Very helpful! I'll do exactly what you say and lower my PH on my next watering and switch my nute schedule. When it comes to flushing soil, when should I do it? Should it be done when the plant is ready for watering or whenever?

Also do you have any good recommendations for good soil nutes?

I've got a few other plants as well, should i be giving those nutes too? Having a hard time trying to figure out when the girls are asking me for nutes.

What's your temperature and distance from the light?
My temp averages about 72F at the height of the plant with the lights on and at the moment it is approx. 2ft from the light with the light running @ 115W. (BudgetLED 250w Rspec 2500k) Have not checked lights off temp in a while but it was averaging 69F before and i have not played with the thermostat in my house since.

ok, i'm just saying what I would do. I would flush the soil really well with like ten gallons of ph 6.5 filtered spring water (tap water has a lot of variables). it's good to narrow down exactly what you are pouring into the soil. tap water bad. then just basic nutrients at low doses. less is more with the nutes.
tap water bad
small amounts of nutrients at a time
Thanks for the info, so i shouldn't use tap water at all? Are there any cheap options for filtering it? I've read up on the filters (forgot what their called) if i can find a cheap one I'd totally get one

My temp averages about 72F at the height of the plant with the lights on and at the moment it is approx. 2ft from the light with the light running @ 115W. (BudgetLED 250w Rspec 2500k) Have not checked lights off temp in a while but it was averaging 69F before and i have not played with the thermostat in my house since.
Ok, definitely not what's ailing you. Hazes are tropical and can handle way more than 72!

Thank you for the reply! Very helpful! I'll do exactly what you say and lower my PH on my next watering and switch my nute schedule. When it comes to flushing soil, when should I do it? Should it be done when the plant is ready for watering or whenever?

Also do you have any good recommendations for good soil nutes?

I've got a few other plants as well, should i be giving those nutes too? Having a hard time trying to figure out when the girls are asking me for nutes.
When I needed to flush I would time it for a regular water day (without nutes) and except for all the water going down the drain, treat it as just another watering.
For soil nutes, everyone is talking about the new MegaCrop.... it is a new technology that seems to be excellent and lots of us are getting wonderful results from it. In soil, you don't even have to worry about pH adjusting or using anything other than tap water... the chlorine will not hurt it at all.
In a good soil, your plants would not need or ask for nutes until clear into week 5 of veg... but that doesn't mean you can't use fertilizers (nutes) as they were first intended to be used... to supercharge your grow to be much more than it could be on just soil. CHeck out Megacrop, and send off for your free sample that should easily get you through your first grow.

k right on! Only reason i really put the fan in is for odor control and to potentially deal with the heat when i put the lights at full power which i am eagerly to do lol

Back
Top Bottom