jumping in

growlife1

Hello I am a first time grower, having jumped in probably before I should have. But there is no experience like hands on, so I bought 12 Sour Diesel clones and built a grow room around them. I live in southern California and the days have been warm and sunny so I have been taking the plants outside every day.

There is so much to learn that it seems daunting. My chief current concerns are:
1. Soil vs. hydro (I replanted the clones in soil)
2. LED vs. HPS
3. How to manage a greenhouse once the warm weather arrives.
4. Legalities of cultivating more than my personal 12.

Half of the plants are yellowing after the transplanting. Since I'm sort of learning as I go I am prepared for these plants to be my Guinea Pigs. If they die let's chalk it up to the cost of education.

Mostly I'm glad to be part of these forums - I won't post much but will hang out in the weeds and listen to the big boys. There is so much that you guys know!

:thanks:

Hello I am a first time grower, having jumped in probably before I should have. But there is no experience like hands on, so I bought 12 Sour Diesel clones and built a grow room around them. I live in southern California and the days have been warm and sunny so I have been taking the plants outside every day.

High growlife1, :welcome: to 420 Magazine!

I think you'll find this is the best mmj community out there... Dedicated to spreading awareness of the benefits of Marijuana and Hemp. :thumb:

Our members are some of the most knowledgable and the most helpful anywhere!

You are absolutely correct about hands-on, nothing can replace it! Just a couple words of caution though... I don't live in Cali, but from what I understand clones not rooted by you almost always come with some kind of pest, quite often spider mites.

Many larger scale grows have an isolation or quarantine area that they bring any plants from the outside word to treat for whatever pests they may have before adding them to the main garden.

That brings me to number two, I know some growers do it, but I would be very cautious about bringing your plants outside. It's very easy to pick up some sort of pest, that once inside will multiply and flourish without the harsh conditions and predators of the outside world.

There is so much to learn that it seems daunting. My chief current concerns are:
1. Soil vs. hydro (I replanted the clones in soil)
2. LED vs. HPS
3. How to manage a greenhouse once the warm weather arrives.
4. Legalities of cultivating more than my personal 12.

There's loads of information here on the first two to be had here, I would start here: How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine. you'll find vigorous debates on the subjects because it's really a matter of personal preference, and finding what works for you and what you like to work with.

The greenhouse one you might have to look a little harder for, I know there's something in the outdoor section of the above link, but I'm not sure how detailed... I like to check the journals as well, you might find someone that journaled a greenhouse grow very similar to what you are planning. And don't be afraid to use the search feature!

For you legal questions I would start here: LEGAL DISCUSSIONS - 420 Magazine ®

Half of the plants are yellowing after the transplanting. Since I'm sort of learning as I go I am prepared for these plants to be my Guinea Pigs. If they die let's chalk it up to the cost of education.

Mostly I'm glad to be part of these forums - I won't post much but will hang out in the weeds and listen to the big boys. There is so much that you guys know!

:thanks:

If you can tell us about your setup, and maybe post some pics we might be able to help. This info will help: How to Ask for Grow Support

One common issue I'm aware of is that most of the dispensaries sell clones rooted in rock wool, if that's the case with yours, be careful the soil isn't too dry, or it can wick all the moisture out of the rock will cube, and the plant dies of thrust. I'd make sure and keep the soil moist until the roots get themselves established in the soil.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines: Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting, they will assist you in navigating the forum.

Here are some other links that you should check out:
Our mission statement: Mission Statement
Questions: Frequently Asked Questions - 420 Magazine
Uploading photos: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
MMJ lounge: Medical Marijuana Lounge - 420 Magazine
News: International Cannabis News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana News - 420 Magazine
Hemp News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana Scientific Data - 420 Magazine
Help support the cause: Please Help Support 420 Magazine

Also, please check out the monthly contests linked below in my signature, and feel free to participate by voting and/or entering!

:Namaste:

Thank you so much for the great reply. I look forward to spending more time on this site. What a wealth of information and good cheer.

I think I found the reason for the yellowing - wrong soil. I mixed garden soil with potting soil, unpotted one to see how the roots were doing. Wow they were hardly getting into the soil it was so dense and waterlogged. So I unpotted them all and repotted using potting soil and perlite. After one day they already look healthier with some good new growth.

Back
Top Bottom