Keeping track of cannabis strains

Lomas Hawk

420 Member
Hello! I am new here and have a question. Does anyone keep track of the cannabis strains they use? If so, how? I started a hand written journal a few years back but it's a pain to search through. Any ideas would be much appreciated..

Hello! I am new here and have a question. Does anyone keep track of the cannabis strains they use? If so, how? I started a hand written journal a few years back but it's a pain to search through. Any ideas would be much appreciated..
Are you breeding them or just growing them? I just note (in my little pea brain) the strains I like and will get the ones I like, in each grow I always try a couple new ones, sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't and won't grow them again (until the seeds run out).

Does anyone keep track of the cannabis strains they use? If so, how?
Not necessarily the strain. I take cuttings and get them to root. I track the clones because I want to know which plant the cutting came from. And I want to know if there are other cuttings taken from the same mother plant.

Once that started it became easy to add in basic info such as the date the cutting was taken, the method used to keep it alive and growing roots, and the transplanting.

I started a hand written journal a few years back but it's a pain to search through. Any ideas would be much appreciated..
I started off with a hand written system and keeping track of what was what and being able to go back looking for specific info was not always easy. Ended up using a "mail merge" database which was part of a word processor program. If I want I can search for all clones of a specific strain, or clones started in a cloning machine or a pot of soil. I can separate all cuttings taken in a specific month.

Only plants/clones that ended up being put into the flowering cabinet or the flowering tent were added to the database. If a clone or plant from seed ended up going outside for the summer it was not entered.

And if a plant went into the flowering cabinet or tent the date it went there was recorded. First thing is to put that date on a piece of masking tape and sticking it on the pot. Then the date gets typed into the database. To me this is one of the most important dates and none of that "I think the plant started 12/12 on such and such day". Instead it is I know what the day was.

Welcome to 420magazine my friend :welcome:
If you want to say hi and meet everyone here is a link.
Hope you figure things out with your strains.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I track everything in Microsoft Excel. I have a Master List of all my seeds and bud plus various grow journals. I also track my doses, recipes and capsules.

Here's an example screenshot of my Master List:

Cannabis Master List Example in Excel.jpg

And, here's an example of one of my grow journals:

Grow Journal Example in Excel.jpg

And, here's an example from my MMJ Recipe Tracker:

MMJ Recipe Tracker Example in Excel.jpg

If you have Excel and want copies of my templates for these, shoot me a PM with your email address.

Back
Top Bottom