Kidney transplant and edibles, THC

Mellymelboo

420 Member
Hey there , I’m a recent kidney transplant recipient (2/13/2020) and before I received my new kidney I was a heavy marijuana smoker , I know that now I’m more vulnerable to getting a fungal infection from smoking bud so I was just wondering if edibles were a good alternative.

Hey there , I’m a recent kidney transplant recipient (2/13/2020) and before I received my new kidney I was a heavy marijuana smoker , I know that now I’m more vulnerable to getting a fungal infection from smoking bud so I was just wondering if edibles were a good alternative.

:welcome: Mellymelboo, and congratulations on getting a new lease on life. :hug:

For edibles you’d be decarboxylating the buds and infusing them into a carrier oil. Those practices alone should kill any pathogens

According to WHO, temperatures of 140°F to 150°F are enough to kill most viruses, and boiling water makes it safe from pathogens like bacteria, viruses, and protozoa. It’s recommended to use a temperature of 160°F or greater when heating water or food products, to kill off bacteria like Legionella, a common bacteria found in water.

COVID-19 is killed are 70°C. You’ll be way beyond that for decarb alone.

Incidentally, developing a regimen that includes edibles (capsule form or otherwise) is a decent way to support your immune system as it accommodates the new kidney. If you can, look into hemp seeds or other foods that give you a good supply of complete proteins to support the ECS’s creation of endocannabinoids.

Hi Melly and welcome to the show, I’m a transplant as well 14 years in June.
i grow and prossess my own meds, it seems to me if I’m going to ingest it
I should know how it was grown from a safety standpoint at least. Imo

I was just looking to buying edibles ( cookies, rice crispies , or a brownie)would those be safe to consume ?

Would those purchases be from a dispensary? If so, I’d trust them. Their stocks go through rigorous testing that includes checking for any pathogens.

Check out Rick Simpson Oil. It's very concentrated, can be used in edibles without as much taste as other methods. Alcohol is used to extract, and high temps of decarbing also should eliminate any living things.

From a dispensary it’s likely to be called CCO, or concentrated cannabis oil, and yes, it’s a very adaptable product. It’s also very pricey. If using for edibles it’s helpful to infuse it into a carrier oil and add some liquid sunflower lecithin to increase bioavailability, so I find it much more cost effective to make a simple infused oil and substitute it for the oil part of the recipe. There are many ways to cover the taste. :battingeyelashes:

Making CCO at home without something like a Source extractor requires the use of an expensive, hard-to-resource and dangerously volatile ethanol alcohol for the extraction. With proper precautions this is a safe process, but infusions aren’t likely to explode into a fireball if something goes wrong. One friend with second-degree burns over his hands and legs from such an accident was enough incentive to teach have me looking more seriously at infusions.

Under the right circumstances and to treat certain conditions CCO is preferred meds, but almost never necessary. It is, however, the gold standard for higher concentrations of cannabinoids. Dispensary CCO is now being made in ways that preserve the terpenes, (they call it live) so if this is an option for you @Mellymelboo I‘d grab it and we can help you work out dosing.

From a dispensary it’s likely to be called CCO, or concentrated cannabis oil, and yes, it’s a very adaptable product. It’s also very pricey. If using for edibles it’s helpful to infuse it into a carrier oil and add some liquid sunflower lecithin to increase bioavailability, so I find it much more cost effective to make a simple infused oil and substitute it for the oil part of the recipe. There are many ways to cover the taste. :battingeyelashes:

Making CCO at home without something like a Source extractor requires the use of an expensive, hard-to-resource and dangerously volatile ethanol alcohol for the extraction. With proper precautions this is a safe process, but infusions aren’t likely to explode into a fireball if something goes wrong. One friend with second-degree burns over his hands and legs from such an accident was enough incentive to teach have me looking more seriously at infusions.

Under the right circumstances and to treat certain conditions CCO is preferred meds, but almost never necessary. It is, however, the gold standard for higher concentrations of cannabinoids. Dispensary CCO is now being made in ways that preserve the terpenes, (they call it live) so if this is an option for you @Mellymelboo I‘d grab it and we can help you work out dosing.

I'm a grower, I make my own RSO and it is completely safe. The extraction/filtration with alcohol is completely safe as no heat or flame is involved. The only place heat(electric stove or hot plate) is involved is solvent reclamation. There I use a a small stove top still that I got on Amazon for about $100. The alcohol for extraction can be purchased easily. We have a sponsor here: Extractahol . A rice grain size dose on the tongue will get a non user shit faced.

Hey there , I’m a recent kidney transplant recipient (2/13/2020) and before I received my new kidney I was a heavy marijuana smoker , I know that now I’m more vulnerable to getting a fungal infection from smoking bud so I was just wondering if edibles were a good alternative

I just received a kidney transplant 11/28/2020. I was a heavy smoker too. My doctor said I had to stop smoking, but if I really felt the urge then he said I could do edibles. I just don't remember the ingridient that he told me to look out for that can still cause some kind of fungus. But that some edibles were an exception.

HI, I received a liver transplant more than 20 years ago and have been a light smoker/ingesting edibles for the last 3 or 4 years growing my own cannabis plants. Unfortunately, my kidney functions have been deteriorating and am now at stage 4 of CKD. I've been informed that if my Kidney functions get any worse I'll need to begin dialysis and be evaluated/tested to be put on Kidney transplant waiting list. To the best of my knowledge, testing positive for drugs (cannabis) would be a disqualifying event and lead to being removed from the waiting list. I vaguely remember back 20 years ago of several people who could not receive liver transplant because they could not stay clean. Am I mistaken ??

This is true. However it’s not necessarily a you test once and you’re ineligible/disqualified from the waiting list. They will communicate with you (at least my hospital did) and if you say you commit to staying clean and can continue to pass drug tests going forward you are good. However, continuing to fail, would make you ineligible/disqualified. And my hospital explained that the reasoning behind it is because they want to know you are committed to making the new life changes work. If you can’t commit to being clean how can you commit to remembering your meds, which is probably the most crucial part of post transplant. As You cannot miss your meds as you know as a transplanted patient.

Incidentally, developing a regimen that includes edibles (capsule form or otherwise) is a decent way to support your immune system as it accommodates the new kidney. If you can, look into hemp seeds or other foods that give you a good supply of complete proteins to support the ECS’s creation of endocannabinoids.
Just wondering about your comment about it being a decent way to support your immune system? Because my doctor told me not to take any immune booster type things because it increases the risk of rejection. Could you elaborate on what you mean please?

Back
Top Bottom