Late Bloomer in Bellingham

bhambud

Hey all. After lurking for weeks and learning tons I'm finally taking the plunge.

By way of introduction....

I first tried weed with some friends back in college in the mid-80's. Only a couple of times and all I got to show for it on both occassions was a hacking cough. At the time, someone said some people just don't get high. Someone else said it was dangerous (a la Nancy Reagan). I also wasn't really in a crowd that had ready access. Whatever the sensical and nonsensical reasons, bottom line is that I pretty much stuck to beer.

Years go by. Doing the whole professional thing, married thing, family thing. Too much going on to miss what I never really had -- but always very curious.

Anyway, earlier last fall, my much younger brother and I are talking. Clearly, he grew up at a time where Nancy's message and the climate it created weren't having the same effects as they had on my peers and I. He's much more knowledgeable and much less uptight about it all. He's not a big user. I'd describe his use as healthy and positive.

After some hesitation, I tell him I want to give it another try. The day comes, he packs a bowl. The magic moment comes -- and I'll be damned if the smoke doesn't hit my lungs like spikes, making me hack away like I was 20 again. (Meanwhile, my bro -- though feeling my pain -- is getting a nice buzz.):smokin3:

I decide to try a different route. This time, however, I'm on my own since my brother had to fly back home -- generously leaving me a small bag to play with. I scoured the Internet -- found this site -- found a recipe for Firecrackers and gave them a try. I went slow, heeding the warnings of many of you who said that eating the stuff produced a stronger/longer high than smoking it.

I waited for a weekend where there was nothing on the social plate and it was just my wife and I at home. She didn't want to try it, but gave me the green light. I ate one Firecracker. Nothing for about an hour -- so I ate one more. About 30 minutes after that, felt a little "floating" sensation, but nothing much else. Thought I'd wait a bit longer. About 30 minutes after that (so about two hours after my first bite), this euphoric wave suddenly swept over me that I will never, ever forget. It was powerful. I said to my wife, who was reading and kind of watching me for entertainment, "I think I might actually be high."

The next 4 or 5 hours were incredible. And, just once in a rare while, a bit scary, as the new feelings progressed and I kept wondering if I'd taken in too much. (I hadn't). I realized, finally at 43, that I'd been missing what music could really sound like, what food could really taste like, what the moon and clouds passing over them could really look like. I'm a fairly creative type in my profession, but I wasn't prepared for the creative energy that was produced -- unfortunately all in about ten second bursts that I immediately forgot five seconds later.:) (I've learned to keep a notepad handy now.) I also couldn't believe the sense of touch it provided. I gave my wife a massage and I could feel the individual nerve endings on the pads of each of my fingers. (She said I'd never given such an aweome massage!)

It truly was a life-changing, spiritual sort of experience. Even when I'm not high, I now listen to music and hear things that I'd never known to listen to before. (Same with many of the other senses.)

And finally, I don't wake up with the sick headache that seemed to accompany even my fairly modest intake of alcohol after I hit about 35.

I am a convert. (Though I was always pretty much on board intellectually). It simply makes no sense that pot is illegal. Of course, I'm preaching to the choir, but I've now joined the ranks of the angry minority.

Nancy Reagan and her ilk can kiss my ass.

Since doing the Firecracker thing, I found (again, I think on this site), a cool little homemade vaporizer -- made out of a lightbulb and straws -- which works awesome and has eased my way into the smoking thing.

Unfortunately, the stash my brother left ran out so I'm now trying to figure out how a 43-year-old, dad-type that doesn't go to school, is a rank amateur to the scene, doesn't know of a Mary-Louise Parker among his ranks and that doesn't (generally) wear tye-dye or skateboard can actually find a safe, reliable source in Bellingham (which, I think, is a pretty bud-friendly place) -- but that's another thread, I guess.

Anyway, that's my story. Peace all.

That was a good story. I am that guy that overdid it with the firecrackers LOL. I now stick with the cannabutter thing when it comes to eating.

Merry Meet bhambud and welcome. I, like you, was a longtime lurker around here before I felt comfortable enough (ie stoned enough this last 4/20 lol) to start posting.

Unlike you I've been smoking steadily for years, and have been around the culture since my birth in '66 :grinjoint: But I have to say your cannabis awakening story was fantastic my friend and brought a big stoner smile to my face. Well your story and the bowl I'm smoking atm hehehe

Welcome and may you find a good reliable hookup (shouldn't be too difficult in the Pacific Northwest), and may many more happy highs be in your future.

Back
Top Bottom