Leaf Necrosis?

Northern Boxer

420 Member
Hello Members, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with my most recent grow. Plants are in week 4 and transferred into 10 gallon fabrics 5 days ago. At the time of transplant I noticed one of the girls had a slight twist on a few lower fans and since then all plants are showing some form of leaf necrosis. At first I suspected broad mites because I could see no sign of spiders. However I took a leaf sample under my microscope at 100x and could see no sign of pests. Environmentals are in the zone for age...68%RH, vapour pressure differential= .062 with 24c lights on/ 20c lights off. LED cobs are currently set at 18" and delivering approximately 400 ppfd.

So that directs me to my soil which is a slight modification to the Coots mix which I cooked for 3 months. I then do 70/ 30 mix with Fox Farm Ocean which I layer in the lower portion of my containers...top half is the Coots which is the same soil from my 1 gallon starts. I have used this mix for my past 2 grows very successfully in conjunction with a MBP top dress regime watered in with aloe, fulvic avid and silica. During these transfers I watered in with such minus the MBP. I have applied no other amendments.

Reading through my journals I came across a pic in the Rev TLO pg. 235 that references at Potassium issue that looks very similar? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
20191011_174410.jpg
20191011_174410.jpg
20191011_174359.jpg
20191011_191050.jpg
20191011_190213.jpg

I grow in Coots mix, been doing it since 2013.

When you say "modified" what is the modification??

Your leaves aren't showing signs of necrosis they are doing something else.

It's usually not nutrients that make leaves do this so lets look
at what you changed in the coots mix.

It's likely nothing and sometimes plants do this early in life and grow thru it.

I wait it out. Nothing you can really do anyway other than water.

I grow in Coots mix, been doing it since 2013.

When you say "modified" what is the modification??

Your leaves aren't showing signs of necrosis they are doing something else.

It's usually not nutrients that make leaves do this so lets look
at what you changed in the coots mix.

It's likely nothing and sometimes plants do this early in life and grow thru it.

I wait it out. Nothing you can really do anyway other than water.
Yeah my wait it out is the approach I'm taking right now. The mods on the Coots aren't extreme, used Dolomite instead of Gypsum though still amended with the rock dust. I also layer the mid section with a light sprinkling of Blood Meal as I tend to get some nitrogen drop off into the first week or so of going 12/12. I also add Fox Farm Ocean to the lower layer at a ratio of 70 Coots/ FFO for some added biology. that's about it on the mods.

Yeah my wait it out is the approach I'm taking right now. The mods on the Coots aren't extreme, used Dolomite instead of Gypsum though still amended with the rock dust. I also layer the mid section with a light sprinkling of Blood Meal as I tend to get some nitrogen drop off into the first week or so of going 12/12. I also add Fox Farm Ocean to the lower layer at a ratio of 70 Coots/ FFO for some added biology. that's about it on the mods.
Perilite instead pumice but that doesn't matter

Extra Nitrogen not really necessary I've found.

Dolomite gonna be OK for short term. Can add a tbs or 2 of some mineral mix a few rounds from now, you'll be set.
Dolomite adds in more Mg. Plants uptake a lot more Ca than Mg so the Ca:Mg ratio gets off with dolomite over time.

I don't know whats in Fox Farm. Foxes? Fox on the farm. Holly be-Jesus the chickens OMG. The chickens. :thedoubletake:

Yeah you should be good in the soil, water for the win.

The somewhat down side is plants go into senescence earlier but I consider that a plus and the flowers taste good right off the vine.

Some folks get antsy when they see plants yellowing in mid flower. I've gotten used to it.

I've had twisty VEG plants that died from a Phytovirus but it doesn't look like that.

The phytovirus is transmitted by vector pests like the leaf hopper. They r like the tics of the plant world spreading disease. The leaf hopper looks like gnats but the damage is night and day.

Perilite instead pumice but that doesn't matter

I use per-lite, sometimes I add in some Bio-char. I add charcoal to my vermi-compost bin hardwood charcoal/ashes and bamboo ashes. Good stuff.

That goes into my humus portion along with EWC collected in the woods.

I use per-lite, sometimes I add in some Bio-char. I add charcoal to my vermi-compost bin hardwood charcoal/ashes and bamboo ashes. Good stuff.

That goes into my humus portion along with EWC collected in the woods.
[/QUOTE
I hear you, my buddy has been seeing nice results since he started adding charged bio-char. consideration for my next cook.

I'm going to raise my lights a bit to reduce potential shock and water out for the next week. can't really lean to anything specific on the nutrient side. Just did a soil ph test and came in at 6.4 so I doubt there is any uptake issues

If you live in the states you can get a soil test for cheap at your local county extension service. Check it out. Get a soil test now, you will have some data for down the road. I usually test my soil every 2 years to see what changes.

Its very good the pH will rise slowly to 7 for me in the coots mix. But I can live with 7pH - I like it a little acidic (6-7pH) as it will break down the rock dust a little bit better but that's so slow anyway it really wont have much influence.

For amendments at up-pot after the first round is done, I add in some EWC and some Kelp meal with WOW Mycos, 1/4 cup of malted barley ground fine, 1-2 tbs of the coots nutrient mix (not the mineral mix) and put that in the hole when I up-pot my next round.

Water for the win.

My guess is that it could be light damage from the LED’s. I had similar issues from a Kind L600. You may need to raise them up a foot to see if it helps. It was very hard to find information about led light damage online.

Back
Top Bottom