Leaves are doing strange things

IndyRacerNick

I feel I am on a straight forward path to doom and failure with this plant.

Both plants are using the same water and soil but only 1 is not making me happy, and its the one I am most excited for.

I checked the soil today and its not all dry yet, its very close so I may provide a little drink today without watering too much of the soil where they are so small yet.

I tried taking some photos but to get the detail I had to remove from the tent.

Take a look at this photo

Curl4.jpg

To me it looks like a couple leaves have a small curl or is starting a small curl upwards, maybe i am overlooking and thats the new leaves sprouting around her.
I also noticed some discoloration on the edge of 2 leaves

What seems like smooth sailing has me thinking the sailboat is about to sink

Some details:
Soil: Fox Far Ocean Forest
Nutes: NONE
Water pH 6.3
Runoff pH from soil 6.5
240W LED Light @ 20"
Humidity: 32%
Temp: 26 C
Last watered 7 days ago, pots have good drainage just waiting on more to dry before I water again. I am growing autoflower and was recommended to plant in the pot is is finishing in, which is a 5 Gallon bucket

I also question the leaf on the far right with the little wrinkle in its tip. This was there since germination, was told it could be pH but my pH seems to be fine.

How to Water
The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant
I don't think over watering is a issue for you but it is a great read when you have the time.
Did you mist this plant when it was a seedling? It looks like maybe water had splashed the leaves and sat for to long?. It happens to me when the leaves are so close to the soil like yours are. I think this plant looks fine, give it some time to grow out and the leaves will start to look normal.
It's common for the first set or two to look a bit odd but as she grows it will change. I'll share a few pictures of what some of mine have looked like to ease your mind.

420-magazine-mobile1083897070.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1446739828.jpg

420-magazine-mobile971439981.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1579422753.jpg

Keep up the great work.

How to Water
The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant
I don't think over watering is a issue for you but it is a great read when you have the time.
Did you mist this plant when it was a seedling? It looks like maybe water had splashed the leaves and sat for to long?. It happens to me when the leaves are so close to the soil like yours are. I think this plant looks fine, give it some time to grow out and the leaves will start to look normal.
It's common for the first set or two to look a bit odd but as she grows it will change. I'll share a few pictures of what some of mine have looked like to ease your mind.

Keep up the great work.

WOW I see your leaves had that ripple wrinkle effect as well..okie dokie...live and learn again. Its my 1st grow and I am probably overlooking things and trying to prevent anything from happening to her.

Yes I did spray her a couple times a day during the very early stages...is that what causes those strange spots on the leaves or the wrinkle effect?

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me, I really gotta stay off the internet and stop reading things...just like someone who feels sick..searches symptoms...then they find out they have some rare disease when its really nothing...

Having said that I will be sure to read that link here now, I have all the time in the world while I wait for my girls. Thank you again for your reply!

Edit: I read that article last week at least 3 times :)

I feel I am on a straight forward path to doom and failure with this plant.

Both plants are using the same water and soil but only 1 is not making me happy, and its the one I am most excited for.

I checked the soil today and its not all dry yet, its very close so I may provide a little drink today without watering too much of the soil where they are so small yet.

I tried taking some photos but to get the detail I had to remove from the tent.

Take a look at this photo

Curl4.jpg

To me it looks like a couple leaves have a small curl or is starting a small curl upwards, maybe i am overlooking and thats the new leaves sprouting around her.
I also noticed some discoloration on the edge of 2 leaves

What seems like smooth sailing has me thinking the sailboat is about to sink

Some details:
Soil: Fox Far Ocean Forest
Nutes: NONE
Water pH 6.3
Runoff pH from soil 6.5
240W LED Light @ 20"
Humidity: 32%
Temp: 26 C
Last watered 7 days ago, pots have good drainage just waiting on more to dry before I water again. I am growing autoflower and was recommended to plant in the pot is is finishing in, which is a 5 Gallon bucket

I also question the leaf on the far right with the little wrinkle in its tip. This was there since germination, was told it could be pH but my pH seems to be fine.
If it was still moist you shouldnt have watered. I know it seems counterintutive but its very important for a seedling to put more energy into building roots at this stage. If you water alot the roots dont have to branch out to look for water. So what happens is youll end up with a large plant above ground with no real root network to support all that new growth and that stunts them.
Im not to preach to ya, i just made the same mistake on my first grow and stunted mine. My second plant is twice the size as my first was at 10 days with only 1 watering.

If it was still moist you shouldnt have watered. I know it seems counterintutive but its very important for a seedling to put more energy into building roots at this stage. If you water alot the roots dont have to branch out to look for water. So what happens is youll end up with a large plant above ground with no real root network to support all that new growth and that stunts them.
Im not to preach to ya, i just made the same mistake on my first grow and stunted mine. My second plant is twice the size as my first was at 10 days with only 1 watering.

I did not water yet!!

I have 2 plants, one feels dry, finger deep dry

The plant in question above still feels "cool" when I place my finger in there, so I am holding off...it is day 7 now without any water. I am more patient with these than you would think.

Hey, if you wanna preach go right ahead...this is my 1st..I rather learn a tip or two than make the same mistake.

When it does get drier I will be sure to feed less water so none is wasted where no roots are. I want to be able to feed them the 3 part system from Advanced Nutrients, and at this pace feedings will be rare. Again, my error because I soaked the 5 gallons before I placed the seed in when I should have watered much less at that time. Just trying to get the bottom dried out now

I did not water yet!!

I have 2 plants, one feels dry, finger deep dry

The plant in question above still feels "cool" when I place my finger in there, so I am holding off...it is day 7 now without any water. I am more patient with these than you would think.

Hey, if you wanna preach go right ahead...this is my 1st..I rather learn a tip or two than make the same mistake.

When it does get drier I will be sure to feed less water so none is wasted where no roots are. I want to be able to feed them the 3 part system from Advanced Nutrients, and at this pace feedings will be rare. Again, my error because I soaked the 5 gallons before I placed the seed in when I should have watered much less at that time. Just trying to get the bottom dried out now
Treat each plant separately, if one is bone dry an inch deep then give it a drink. Just try to a feel for what they need, it is suprising how little water they need when theyre young. Also id try to raise your humidity if possible, seedlings like 50 60 70% rh.

Treat each plant separately, if one is bone dry an inch deep then give it a drink. Just try to a feel for what they need, it is suprising how little water they need when theyre young. Also id try to raise your humidity if possible, seedlings like 50 60 70% rh.

Humidity is probably due to the season here in Canada

I was gonna get a humidifier but all I can find is one with lots of fog like mist here and rather not have that hitting plants

I have researched, read about the wet towel method, which people said could cause mold...I would love to have it increased but I have not found a successful way in keeping moisture in there yet

Others say I should be fine at 30% as humidity will increase as the plant gets bigger. Early stages I would like it in the 50 - 60 range just had no luck with it.

Humidity is probably due to the season here in Canada

I was gonna get a humidifier but all I can find is one with lots of fog like mist here and rather not have that hitting plants

I have researched, read about the wet towel method, which people said could cause mold...I would love to have it increased but I have not found a successful way in keeping moisture in there yet

Others say I should be fine at 30% as humidity will increase as the plant gets bigger. Early stages I would like it in the 50 - 60 range just had no luck with it.
Yeah just a water in front the fan would help alot.

WOW I see your leaves had that ripple wrinkle effect as well..okie dokie...live and learn again. Its my 1st grow and I am probably overlooking things and trying to prevent anything from happening to her.

Yes I did spray her a couple times a day during the very early stages...is that what causes those strange spots on the leaves or the wrinkle effect?

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me, I really gotta stay off the internet and stop reading things...just like someone who feels sick..searches symptoms...then they find out they have some rare disease when its really nothing...

Having said that I will be sure to read that link here now, I have all the time in the world while I wait for my girls. Thank you again for your reply!

Edit: I read that article last week at least 3 times :)

When you mist seedling directly it can clog those tiny pores which will sometimes cause spots later on confusing new growers when the leaves start growing out. the damage stands out a bit more so they start to think it's a deficiency. Once the plant grows a bit larger I usually remove those leaves first.

I'm not 100% what causes weird leaves on seedlings maybe it's from being tucked inside the cotyledons.
Haha the web can be a scary place! Have you started a grow journal on this forum yet? If not you should, you'll meet some great people who are willing to share all kinds of knowledge.

Best of luck for your 1st grow .

Yeah just a water in front the fan would help alot.

I have 2 fans inside, so I can sacrafice one for now. I will grab a rubbermaid container and pill her with water and see what happens in a few hours...will update you later on that tip.

When you mist seedling directly it can clog those tiny pores which will sometimes cause spots later on confusing new growers when the leaves start growing out. the damage stands out a bit more so they start to think it's a deficiency. Once the plant grows a bit larger I usually remove those leaves first.

I'm not 100% what causes weird leaves on seedlings maybe it's from being tucked inside the cotyledons.
Haha the web can be a scary place! Have you started a grow journal on this forum yet? If not you should, you'll meet some great people who are willing to share all kinds of knowledge.

Best of luck for your 1st grow .

I have started a journal, the link is in my signature.

I have not gotten a lot of help there yet which is why I branched out to the different areas of this forum. As the plant gets larger I expect more people to be involved...with so many journals its hard to keep up

I have started a journal, the link is in my signature.

I have not gotten a lot of help there yet which is why I branched out to the different areas of this forum. As the plant gets larger I expect more people to be involved...with so many journals its hard to keep up

I don't see the signature for some reason using the app for a iPhone. I'll have to head over and sub in.

Have you seen the Auto Growers Community Thread yet? If you haven't already, head over, introduce yourself. You'll find lots of traffic on that thread and you can actually post any questions or concerns right there. That way you can get to meet other growers and then more people will swing by your grow.
I just think there's so many active grow journals that the feed never stops, leaving some newer growers to fend for themselves.

Auto Growers Unite - A Community Thread

Water bowl sry. You want high humidity for the veg period like 60 70s. When its flowering mold is a concern so 40 or so is good for flowering

So I tried the bowl with water and a fan method...it went up 2%
I added 2 more bowls and moved my 2nd fan down to help, and still only a total of 3%-4% increase in humidity.

During that period my readings were:
Low: 22%
High: 31%

So I decided to buy a humidifier as seen in the photo below

Humidity50.jpg

I have been running it on the highest setting without shutting it off. We are getting a reading of 50%-55% so far, I would like to hit 60 but I will take this increase as a good thing for the plants for now.

On the humidifier there is a option to select the month, not sure why its there, nothing in the instructions explaining what it does, if I can get more humidity out of it by selecting a different month let me know!

Thanks again for your advice :)

So I tried the bowl with water and a fan method...it went up 2%
I added 2 more bowls and moved my 2nd fan down to help, and still only a total of 3%-4% increase in humidity.

During that period my readings were:
Low: 22%
High: 31%

So I decided to buy a humidifier as seen in the photo below

Humidity50.jpg

I have been running it on the highest setting without shutting it off. We are getting a reading of 50%-55% so far, I would like to hit 60 but I will take this increase as a good thing for the plants for now.

On the humidifier there is a option to select the month, not sure why its there, nothing in the instructions explaining what it does, if I can get more humidity out of it by selecting a different month let me know!

Thanks again for your advice :)

Yes you want all the humidity you can get right now. That humidifier should do the job.
Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom