Leaves curling up: Is it Mg defeciency? Input needed

No problem. I have found things like this to be ultra helpful with trouble shooting problems in plants. It gives you something to visualize what PH means to the grow and sometimes I swing my PH low a few days to catch Manganese and Iron in my soil grows.:thumb:

No problem. I have found things like this to be ultra helpful with trouble shooting problems in plants. It gives you something to visualize what PH means to the grow and sometimes I swing my PH low a few days to catch Manganese and Iron in my soil grows.:thumb:

Never thought of swinging the ph to catch the upper and lower ranges of nutes. That info is going into my notebook of knowledge. Thanks. Giving you a Rep!

I had the same thing happen to me, I found out the problem was to much frets for being young plants, and to much water. I haven't watered in two weeks and my plants are starting to recover. If you have your pots on a cement floor use 2x4s under them to get them off the floor. This will help to dry out your soil. Is your soil really wet. Some plants thrive on dry soil.

what do you guys think about this? upper leaves are curling up, i'm growing with a 430 Watt LED light it is 32" from canopy, here is my journal if any can stop by please:
Netstatmen's Soil Auto Red Poison LED Grow Light Journal - 2013

need advice :)

2013-11-13_17_02_23.jpg

is this the same taco effect, these curled leaves are only a day or so old.
IMG_164119.JPG
IMG_163818.JPG

great info on this thread, thank you:)

Re: Leaves curling up... but is it Mg defeciency? Input needed.

I knew I had seen this problem before so I went back and looked at some notes I had taken years ago and found that the taco effect yojur experiencing is due to either a MG or a iron def. Nor sure which one as my notes weren't the clearest back then.lol Get some epsom salts and apply at a 1 teaspoon per gallon dose. Look for a product that is high in Iron. I know one that I used years ago called "stay green" and I know there are others as well. Together they shouldn't cost more than $10.00.

Googled the taco effect and found this thread. Thank you so much! I KNEW I had nute deficiency and the fans too direct/too hot. The guy I'm helping is lazy and doesn't listen easily. How do I give rep Raceface?

Hi all and just wanted to say I have been having this same leaf curl problem. I am new to the board and have been looking trying to find and answer for this problem. On mine I don't really know the strain as it was a seed my youngest son had. It is just seedling right now using Miracle Grow potting mix. Some very good info to try out. Thanks very much.

Looks pretty healthy. A veteran grower once told me it means they are about to go through a growth spurt.

When researching soil the pros recommend staying away from these household soils, even with the correct ratios they tend to cause problems, but this is just what they say though, but weed is caused weed for a reason "should" grow anywhere

Based on what I see, I think you might potentially be dealing with a "hemp russet mite" infestation. They are especially problematic because 99% of the time they are truly invisible (because they're so small), and curling of the leaves like that (and sometimes parts of the plant just disappearing) are the only symptoms they exhibit.

How to deal with them was a trade secret for entirely too long - growers caring only about money and ignoring the medical needs of patients - and its actually not that hard to get rid of them; one of the keys is using something with sulfur. Personally, I always opt for "Safer 3-in-1" organic pesticide because it's a) safe and non-toxic, b) organic, and c) very effective. Often you'll need to spray the plants with the "Safer" (which is the brand name of the insecticide) solution every 3 days for about 9-15 days - i.e., if you spray 3 times, waiting 3 days between sprays, its often resolved. However, to be safe, I'd then wait a week, and then spray again because they have a habit of being elsewhere (and since they're invisible its virtually impossible to see where they are), so don't assume they're gone too soon! They can truly be fatal (if that is indeed what you're dealing with).

I suggest investing in a very high quality 1 gallon (or 2 gallon) fine mister to spray them with - they have a manual air pump so you can create a very fine mist, which is key for having it give full coverage to the plant. What you do is: -******** Mix 8oz Safer 3-in-1 concentrate in 1 gallon of purified water (distilled works great), then mix in 2 tablespoons of SNS 209 in the same 1 gallon sprayer. SHAKE VIGOROUSLY FOR 1-5 MINUTES! Then pump up the sprayer/mister with air pressure using the handle/pump, and then MIST the TOPS *AND* BOTTOMS of the leaves, and even mist the entire stalk of the plant. You can additionally spray some on the soil/grow medium because its safe, and sometimes even used for root feeding (I don't root feed the liquid, just a quick mist over the entire plant (tops and bottoms), all of the stems, and a quick mist of the soil/inside of the container the roots are in.

I have a good feeling you'll resolve your curling issues with this.

Kind Regards ;o)
DJ Delphi

In fact, what I especially recommend is a dual application of Safer 3-in-1 along with SNS 209 (Sierra Natural Science 209 - which is also safe, organic, and effective); the combination is very safe and very effective. I'd even suggest continuing to spray with the SNS 209 alone for another week because its especially safe and often the plants love it. Use 8oz (1 cup) per gallon of Safer 3-in-1, and 2 tablespoons per gallon of SNS 209 (1 gallon = 3.78L).

ALSO(***) - DON'T FORGET TO TEST JUST A SMALL AMOUNT - a few leaves on one or two plants - to ensure that your plants will tolerate it well! Sometimes people misread measurements and its way too potent and kills everything, sometimes its way too dilute, other times perhaps it goes bad in a warehouse sitting in the sun and becomes chemically different... in general, Safer and SNS are very trustworthy and consistent though, I just highly suggest trying a small sample to ensure that this advice doesn't lead to harm.

Even if its not the spider mites (which it truly looks like it is), this - when followed properly - won't lead to any detriment and can even perk the plants up because they sometimes love foliar sprays like this.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out this problem my friend is having. I believe it's a magnesium defeciency so i told him to correct with a 1/4 tsp epson salt/gal. but the plants leaves are still curling upward like they are praying. Plant growth looks good but I'm worried the problem will get worse if he doesn't act quickly. Only 1 of the 4 plants has this problem which is weird because they are all growing in Fox Farm Ocean forest and have been getting the same nutes. Any help is appreciated.

background:
-plant with problem is a sativa strain
-I normally feed with RO 6.0 ph water but moved up to 6.5 for last feeding
-plants are in FF ocean forest
-plants are 4 weeks old and in 1 gal pots. (will repot soon)
-Temps = 68-78
-RH= 44-50%
-Light= 400watt digital MH (1.5ft away)

Also one plant (AK-48) has a orange spot on it. I don't think it is a big problem but hope it doesn't spread. Lemme know what you guys think. Thanks

Leaf curling but no discoloration
grow3_1.jpg

Same plant but bigger view
grow3_2.jpg

Some weird orange spot
grow3_3.jpg

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out this problem my friend is having. I believe it's a magnesium defeciency so i told him to correct with a 1/4 tsp epson salt/gal. but the plants leaves are still curling upward like they are praying. Plant growth looks good but I'm worried the problem will get worse if he doesn't act quickly. Only 1 of the 4 plants has this problem which is weird because they are all growing in Fox Farm Ocean forest and have been getting the same nutes. Any help is appreciated.

background:
-Temps = 68-78
-RH= 44-50%

Also one plant (AK-48) has a orange spot on it. I don't think it is a big problem but hope it doesn't spread. Lemme know what you guys think. Thanks

grow3_1.jpg

grow3_2.jpg

Some weird orange spot
grow3_3.jpg
it looks like heat stress to me, the light maybe too close.

Attachments

• 1545974313760.png
    1545974313760.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,967

background:
-Temps = 68-78
-RH= 44-50%

grow3_1.jpg

grow3_2.jpg

Some weird orange spot
grow3_3.jpg
I am having the same issue. I dont water often. I will say this though. I had 1 plant showing a light green and yellow leaves. As a new grower, I looked it up and it suggested that I water with Epsom salts in the water. I only water when soil indicates say the soil is dry. All of the plants are showing great growth. I've had the lights on this position for more than a month. I don't believe the lights are too close. Par meter showing slightly less than 400. The leaf curl started the day after I watered. I watered fairly heavily because the soil was very dry. 1 of the commentors on this post is right on I believe... the leaves are just trying to sweat off moisture. It wasn't happening before I watered, and now only after... just got to let them wick off the water and I think they'll go back to normal. After reading all the posts on here, I think you guys have narrowed it down to over watering. Thanks guys for all of your knowledge!

Hi!
I show you some problems.
It seems that a friend of mine has the same problem of curled leaves as the author of this post.
Some info:
4 week of live.
Temp 27-28°C
Humidity 50- 60 %
Vase of 11 liters
2 Led grow panel of 150w each at 10" high and 2 support led (100 w each) at 20" high.
There are some fungus gnats that he's fighting... Becouse at the beginning for the first 3 week he hadn't grow room and he gives too much water.
What's your impressions?
Oh another things: some plant has the little tip of the leaves that's starting brown and also the dithering of the external area of some leaves that's going white (look at the second and the third picture) , but I believe that's for the bastard gnats... Or not?

Thank you! (sorry for my bad language!)
20200605_011348.jpg

20200605_011401.jpg
20200605_011356.jpg

Attachments

• 20200605_011758.jpg
    20200605_011758.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200605_011401.jpg
    20200605_011401.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 92
Hi!
It seems that a friend of mine has the same problem of curled leaves as the author of this post.
Some info:
4 week of live.
Temp 27-28°C
Humidity 50- 60 %
Vase of 11 liters
2 Led grow panel of 150w each at 10" high and 2 support led (100 w each) at 20" high.
There are some fungus gnats that he's fighting... Becouse at the beginning for the first 3 week he hadn't grow room and he gives too much water.
What's your impressions?
Oh another things: some plant has the little tip of the leaves that's starting brown and also the dithering of the external area of some leaves that's going white (look at the second and the third picture) , but I believe that's for the bastard gnats... Or not?

20200605_011348.jpg

20200605_011401.jpg
20200605_011356.jpg
@MochaBud

what do you guys think about this? upper leaves are curling up, i'm growing with a 430 Watt LED light it is 32" from canopy, here is my journal if any can stop by please:
Netstatmen's Soil Auto Red Poison LED Grow Light Journal - 2013

need advice :)

2013-11-13_17_02_23.jpg
Your in hot soil or over feeding, or over watering, or both...I'd put my money on the first:thumb:

Thanks for the holler @West Hippie :passitleft:
Hi!
Some info:
4 week of live.
Temp 27-28°C
Humidity 50- 60 %
Vase of 11 liters
What's your impressions?

20200605_011348.jpg

20200605_011401.jpg
20200605_011356.jpg
They look pretty good :hmmmm: but he may want to check for spider mites, and definitely stop letting the leaves touch the soil...that''s a spider mite bridge :laugh: as far as the top leaves curling, looks like over watering, let those roots dry out before watering/feeding again :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom