Leaves look like tacos...overwatering?

Rowdy Boy

I was over at a friends the other day and he said "hey com here, I wanna show you something." He took me to his huge 6'tall plant that he is growing in soil and pointed out how some of his leaves were curving up, like a V and a few of them had the tips of the leaves curving to one side or the other. a few of the leaves were a tiny bit yellow just in the centers. He said " This is a result of over watering. Notice how the leaves are tacoing and the tips are starting to point to the sides?" I nodded. He then went on to say "This is useually the first signs of over watering. The plant is trying to tell you something. The leaves should all be nice and straight and they should not taco like that."
Now, I'm growing outdoors in 100 gallon smart pots. The next morning as I'm watering my girls I notice all of my plants have tacoing leaves and the tips are just slightly turned. Me being a rookie, that looks healthy to me. However, taking into account what my friend had just told me I started to worry. was he correct in his lesson or was he off? Are the leaves supposed to V like that? I watered lightly yesterday and today I checked my soil by poking my finger down into each pot and the soil was fairly dry. so I watered again today. The soil was a little moist but not wet by any means. Is there anything to all this or am I just over concerned? If in fact it is a sign of over watering is there likly to be permanant dammage? will it get worse? what should I do?
I have another friend who told me it was impossible to over water in smart pots. I don't water excessivly or anything. once a day about 1 minute per plant.drainage seems ok. could this also be a sign of under watering? I don't have any yellowing "Leaves" persay but I do notice the newest growth is starting out with a slightly yellowish green tint to them. BTW Blue dream is my strain. also have some bubba kush's doing same.

I was just refering to the VERY FIRST signs. by the time the leaves start turning yellow and they get droopy you already have permanant root dammage. (Or so I hear).

I know what your talking about. IMHO it happens in hydro when plants are at their happiest and are facing light as hard as they can. I run an Aero setup..similar to the one 420fied built for his first grow..so not sure how they could ever be over-watered.

Not sure if that translates to dirt or not, but I honestly don't think it's from over-watering.

From experience, I have learned taco leaves, if the leaves are hard, especially if the edges are look saw like, that this is heat stress. Too hot for the plants.

If they are outdoors, put osilating fans on them. Put those nets on them designed to keep outdoor plants cool. It takes some of the sun away, about 50%.

Watering once a day sounds excessive for 100 gallon pots, unless it is hot and sunny and dries up fast, which then would further confirm my suspension that they are too hot.

What have the temps been in your grow area?

Back
Top Bottom