LED Hardware Store Bulbs

Don't forget that using an hps fixture comes with other inherent costs such as ducting, exhaust and cooling fans, etc. But Yeah unless you get a ballin' deal on LEDs it's not feasible to try to match wattage with an hps.

But I will say that I have seen evidence of fantastic results using retail LEDs and would recommend them over Cfls if a more expensive setup is not in your plans. 25 per sq ft is the sweet spot from what I read. Good luck.

~DHD

Edit: although it's hard to discount Cobs ... for a hundred bucks extra you could get a bangin' setup piecing together a cob array. Growmau5 on YouTube tells it how it is. That will be my next project once I'm ready to move past my bulbs... for personal grows I think that will be fine.

~Resurrecting the dead~

So as stated previously in this thread I run 20x 9w LED screw-ins in a 2x4x6 tent, for a total of 180w drawn from the wall for 22.5w/sq ft.
I am itching to upgrade, as although the qp or so I yield each run is sufficient for personal use, as a hobbyist I'd like to see more fruits for my labors.

You know - BIG FAT BUDS :yummy:

I was looking at a few cheap panels (below):

2x Maxsisun 300w dimmables

2x Bloomspect 300w LEDs

Maxsisun 450w LED dimmable

My question is - are they truly upgrades?

By the numbers, the difference would be minimal for some options, better for others.
Enough to justify the cost?
Would I actually get bigger fatter buds from the lights I am checking?

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Also, although I have scrapped together a bunch of light bulbs, I am not particularly into electrical DIY, or looking to spend a $1000.
I'd rather go with something pre-built and at minimal cost.

TL:DR - Is one or 2 cheap LED blurples an upgrade over my array of 9w screw-in LEDs?

Thanks in advance.

- DHD

I'm doing the led grow and some people have no other choice got to remember some people do have that 100 to 200 bucks to drop at once and my main reason for not buying a panel I'd rather do it the way it's been done time n time again think they used LED panels or blurples in the 70s 60s but I'm not one to drop that for a light n always used reg bulbs off shelf n never had probs and got some big yeilds and not bounced the electric bill up much so I say more power to the people that can use ever say items to grow cause theirs more people that can't get the panels n cons n hps out there n just don't say anything n go on n do great know I've helped a bunch set up with 6 7 lights for 3 or 4 plants n maybe couple lamps in mid so mid of plant gets light n they've done good so idk it's one of those to each their own I guess wish everyone could grow and grow the best and be happy with what they got I guess

Those are great fixtures for your space. LED bulbs definitely work in small spaces and areas hard to fit a fixture. I use some to supplement my main lights and for side projects.

But I added up the cost of your lighting figuring $4 per bulb and $2 per component in each fixture. Total would be $144, although I sometimes find deals that would be cheaper. Still, that's in the price range of ready made units that put out 270w, or 2 smaller ones with combined 270w output.

Downhomedude's set up is more flexible and fits his space better, and I applaud his results. +reps for that.

Every time I'm at hardware store I browse the lighting aisle to what's new that I could use. By the time I price out all the pieces I need it's the same or more than I paid for the low end fixtures I have.
In Canada thoes docket to plugs are 5.99 , I built a diy cfl grow light and led bulb and in the end it got me okay results but it cost me more then a cheap grow light would , I do like the results yours getting off these thoe keep it up

Back
Top Bottom