LED? Or hire an electrician and go HID?

dallin1992

Hi I have to decide if I should go led or hid.. I have an 8x8 flower and 5x5 veg and was planning on 2 1000 watts for flower and 1 1000 watt for veg but can't run this on one or even 2 120v circuits where as I could probably get away with running LEDs on 2 circuits and wouldent need extra fans for cooling lights right? Or I could hire an electrician...

My questions are what would an electrician do exactly to make 3 1000 watts possible?
Or
What leds would you guys recommended for my room size and such?

Keep in mind I want a little room to work in my flower room and a little room for mothers and cloning in veg

Thanks

With that much area, I advise you to hire an electrician to run outlets. Depending on your home you may find that you will have to run extra outlets either way depending on how much stuff if on your circuits. Hiring the electrician makes sure your grow has it's own circuits and an electrician will make sure all your wiring is good to go.

I wouldn't tell him anything. Just figure out how much wattage you want to run, then give yourself a good margin. Tell him you want to be able to run XXXX watts safely in your garage. If he asks what for, the answer is power tools/band equipment/LAN party.

I don't think I have the paranoia about people knowing so much these days. Not that I want to tell everyone, but I would not be worried about hiring an electrician and this person knowing why your getting power here etc. I can assure you there are electricians that work on grows all over the damn place, whether its someone in a legal situation or not. Don't worry too much, if need be make up some BS story to tell someone. Know for a fact how much juice you want to pull tho.

Hi dallin1992,

I don't see it suggested but can't help wonder if having it wired for 240 instead of 120 might be worth while. Since your vacilating between LED or HID, I assume you don't already have the lights and was just reading that lights on 240 use less wattage and allow the ballasts to run slightly cooler. Might need a 120 or two for the fans, etc.. as suggested by Buckshot317. Obviously my suggestion only applies if you choose HID over LED.

If in your shoes, I believe I would choose LED simply for the reduced energy consumption, bulb replacement cost, etc...

Be well and happy growing and welcome to the 420 Magazine community of members!

I need help! Ive been lucky enough to have a backyard grow the last 3 yrs. A friend just gave me indoor equip. Im green at growing but good at it so I might as go inside because I also have the room. The lights given to me are two 1000w mh and three t11 fluorescent. The room Im using will fit a 5'x9' perfect.
I just called the electrician (yelp) who wired a motion light on my garage last year, who was cool, and asked him how much he would charge to run a line (6ft) I told him exactly what its for. He saw my outdoor last year. its obvious. He said $200.00. Im not sure about exhaust and cooling yet
How should I wire the room? one line 8 plugs? One line splitter with 8 plugs on each?
Im not sure about exhaust and cooling yet. Can all use same line as lights?
Should I have two 4x4 tents or one 5x9 ?
Any insight would be great!!!!
Peace!

You can have both 1000w lights on a single 240v 20 amp circuit (2pole breaker). For 120v (single pole breaker) I would recommend two 20a circuits.

If it were me I would have lights on the 240 V circuit and then run a second circuit at 120 V for all of your other equipment such as fans and th if it were me I would have both lights on the 240 V circuit and then run a second circuit at 120 V for all of your other equipment such as fans and the fluorescents. Your total load at 120 V is only going to be about 5 amps.

A single tent is going to be easier to manage. One environment to run, one set of timers, etc.
The dudes prices sound very reasonable.

Honz you are awesome! God bless you and thank you!
The guy that gave me the lights said he can do the electrical and to save my $ but I probably will go with the electrician. Now I know what to tell him I need/want done. Not until mid-july so I have time. Again,thank you Honz!!

Honz, I found out my ballasts are 600w not 1000w. I guess im running two 600w and maybe one T11 in a 5'9' tent. Im guessing no changes in wiring?..........
0ne 240v 20amp circuit (for lights)
one 120v circuit for other equip.
Also the house is 60yrs old and Im thinking best to run new lines and not run off old wiring in room?? I also dont think the electrician will try to install what I dont need, but this is why im glad for your advice

Hey 4D,

Sorry for the late reply. I got your PM, but since I have fewer than 50 posts I can't reply. You can run two 600s on a single 20 amp 120v circuit no problem. Use a second 20a circuit for you fans, etc...
With wiring that old it's best not to use it for your grow room even if the electrician replaces the receptacles. You don't know what else is on that circuit and shouldn't take a chance, I wouldn't!

Hey 4D,

Sorry for the late reply. I got your PM, but since I have fewer than 50 posts I can't reply. You can run two 600s on a single 20 amp 120v circuit no problem. Use a second 20a circuit for you fans, etc...
With wiring that old it's best not to use it for your grow room even if the electrician replaces the receptacles. You don't know what else is on that circuit and shouldn't take a chance, I wouldn't!

Thanks Honz. I also got this advice......
one 220v 20 amp circuit split into separate 220 outlets with a dedicated 110 from separate halves of the 220
regular 110 in the room use for timer to control 220 outlets
Each one has A/C relay that activates via the house 110 and controls whether each socket is on/off
With this system can control 220v ballasts with 110v timer
Honz, with this method I think its running off old house wiring with the 110?
Someone else said if i run 220v 20 amp circ. it will save money??
Houses do burn up in this neighborhood because of old wiring.
I appreciate your insight Honz.

You can have both 1000w lights on a single 240v 20 amp circuit (2pole breaker). For 120v (single pole breaker) I would recommend two 20a circuits.

If it were me I would have lights on the 240 V circuit and then run a second circuit at 120 V for all of your other equipment such as fans and th if it were me I would have both lights on the 240 V circuit and then run a second circuit at 120 V for all of your other equipment such as fans and the fluorescents. Your total load at 120 V is only going to be about 5 amps.

A single tent is going to be easier to manage. One environment to run, one set of timers, etc.
The dudes prices sound very reasonable.

Is this one better?

Thanks Honz. I also got this advice......
one 220v 20 amp circuit split into separate 220 outlets with a dedicated 110 from separate halves of the 220
regular 110 in the room use for timer to control 220 outlets
Each one has A/C relay that activates via the house 110 and controls whether each socket is on/off
With this system can control 220v ballasts with 110v timer
Honz, with this method I think its running off old house wiring with the 110?
Someone else said if i run 220v 20 amp circ. it will save money??
Houses do burn up in this neighborhood because of old wiring.
I appreciate your insight Honz.

Not sure he means by "110 from separate halves" but I get the gist of it. He is saying to use one 240v circuit (2-pole breaker) to supply power to two 240v outlets for lights. The 120volt circuit is only used for control power. Some fixtures or timers will have a control relay (think: contacts that can be opened or closed by remote control) that requires an external power source. The power source can be a 120v source from just about anything (switch, photocell to follow actual daylight cycle, computer program, etc...) using the old wiring for this shouldn't be an issue.

Running equip at a higher voltage is slightly more efficient. Even though actual power (wattage) is the same, running at higher voltage (240 vs 120) offers less resistance and draws less current. This means components in a ballast run a little cooler. You won't see it on your power bill though.

Definitely run a new 120v circuit for other equipment such as circ fans and exhaust fans.

Back
Top Bottom