LED panel for a small micro grow?

jebfx

Hello everyone!

I am planning to build a small micro box for scrog. I want to go for a led because of their lifespan and limited heat.

Problem is, my box can only be about 50-60cm x 70cm x 70cm (W x L x H)
in inches that will be 23" x 27" x 27".

I will use at least 12 inches in length for my fan setup, so that leaves me with about 15" (38 cm) with room for a led panel.

I was first thinking about a 63w Penetrator Pro, but after reading this thread I have been looking at at Spectra 120, which now is a Spectra 180w 2011.

Would i manage to run this LED panel in my box or should I stick with Penetrator Pro 63w?

Or should I consider the ISIS-1? I could not find any information about the size of the panel on their site. If you know this please help me out

I think I can manage the size for the Spectra 180, but I don't know if its overkill in this box and if can use it with my limited height?

I hope you can help me with the choice, but these 3 seems like to be my best alternatives.

Best regards

Jebfx

hi jebfx,

I've been thinking of a building a scrog box very similar in size, and actually just today, i contacted Michael at GrowLedHydro asking about the minimum box size he would recommend for the Spectra 180w and this was his response:

" . . . In regards to your question as long as the space is at least 18x12 inches you are good to go. Height wise I would recommend a minimum of 18 inches. You will still need some ventilation in regards of exhausting the air out of the grow box, if you have that in place you will be fine. I recommend you leave a space of at least 3 inches from the top of the light to the top of the grow box. . ."

He was very quick to respond and welcomed any more questions.

I hope this helps some . . . and I'm really interested in seeing the box design you come up with.

hi jebfx,

I've been thinking of a building a scrog box very similar in size, and actually just today, i contacted Michael at GrowLedHydro asking about the minimum box size he would recommend for the Spectra 180w and this was his response:

" . . . In regards to your question as long as the space is at least 18x12 inches you are good to go. Height wise I would recommend a minimum of 18 inches. You will still need some ventilation in regards of exhausting the air out of the grow box, if you have that in place you will be fine. I recommend you leave a space of at least 3 inches from the top of the light to the top of the grow box. . ."

He was very quick to respond and welcomed any more questions.
I hope this helps some . . . and I'm really interested in seeing the box design you come up with.

Thank you very much for posting this, I guess then that Spectra 120 should be my candidate so far. I have heard good things about the led panel.

Im quite satisfied with my design, i made a sketch in sketchup, I will upload it for you.. I don't have it on this computer though..

I have done some few changes to my design. I guess I need to build the whole box a little longer to include the fan and filter that I want.

I think the best choice to get a stealth and not to loud box will be a Panasonic Whisperline ceiling fan mounted vertically, but its kinda huge so I loose a lot of the length. This fan will also have a DIY carbon filter. This will in my opinion be the best and most quiet solution, but I also need to consider a silent inline fan blowing straight out the box and not through lengths of ducting. As this is where most of the sound appears.

I have done some few changes to my design. I guess I need to build the whole box a little longer to include the fan and filter that I want.

I think the best choice to get a stealth and not to loud box will be a Panasonic Whisperline ceiling fan mounted vertically, but its kinda huge so I loose a lot of the length. This fan will also have a DIY carbon filter. This will in my opinion be the best and most quiet solution, but I also need to consider a silent inline fan blowing straight out the box and not through lengths of ducting. As this is where most of the sound appears.

cool, I look forward to your upload when you've got the design to your liking.

Reading through one of Irish Boy's threads he mentioned that the S&P TD-100x in-line fan is also really quiet. Though, I don't know how much a really small space may amplify the sound that any fan gives off.

Soler & Palau KIT-TD100X S&P Standard Bathroom Exhaust Kit

cool, I look forward to your upload when you've got the design to your liking.

Reading through one of Irish Boy's threads he mentioned that the S&P TD-100x in-line fan is also really quiet. Though, I don't know how much a really small space may amplify the sound that any fan gives off.

Soler & Palau KIT-TD100X S&P Standard Bathroom Exhaust Kit

I've read about this fan as well, this was actually this inline fan I was thinking about as a alternative. If believe that if you used rubber bands to hold the weight of the fan, and connected it to the back of the box with only a few cm of ducting (or directly with flexible silicon etc) with no bends, and attached a DIY can filter you could get away with a low sound. The fan itself is quiet, the problem comes when you push air through a ducting. Also you should attach a controller to controll the speed of the fan.

I took a picture from sketchup, my first sketch off the box.
The passive intakes would be made of PVC about 3-4 50mm intakes with 2 90degree bends, this should lightproof it. I would point the pvc upwards so the intake would be directly at the bottom of the plants. I think I might be able to mount some quiet pc fans on top of the pvc by building a small shelf so the plants get circulation.

On the picture I have the intakes in the back, but I figured I might be able to have them in the door so I get more room in front to work with the plants.

The door will be like in this guide: YouTube - ‪How To Build A Grow Box From Start To Finish (6 of 24)‬‏

With two magnet to hold the door, and I guess i need to build a smaller opening inside the box just before the door so I can get it lightproof.

Here is the first picture, but the size of the led panel is for a Penetrator 63w.
Also I am thinking about having the exhaust out on the side instead of in the back. I will post a new picture when I'm finished with the new one:)

5198789.png

hey jebfx, how are things coming along?

Thanks for posting your sketch, it's looking good and thanks for the video link, I hadn't run across that set of videos.

I can't quite tell from the sketch are you planning for soil or hydro?

I believe I will go soil to start as i have no hydro experience, but I haven't quite figured out what to do about water run-off.

I still have a lot to think about. . . :)

but I haven't quite figured out what to do about water run-off.

Depending on size and shape of the containers you are planning to use you could just put a catch tray underneath them. If they are small, a good/cheap solution would be the cheap-o pie pans you can buy at the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom