Legal status of cannabis in Europe

Will the rest of Europe follow the lead of countries that had decriminalized Cannabis

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Maybe in 5-10 years ...

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
image.png

Please comment , specialy if you live somwhere in Europe....

:cheer:

I see that Romania is colored yellow, meaning "illegal but rarely enforced", however, ive heard some horror stories from family and friends over there. It was a communist country till about 1989, then it turned into a multi-party democratic system i believe, however, communistic tendencies still remain within the police force...

Story of example, my cousin told me a little while ago about how his friend who was caught with a bag of weed (not sure the ammount), was brutally beaten, and imprisoned for 5 years. He clarified "beaten" to "a thread of his life, poor guy had to stay a couple of weeks in hospital".

Something about a collapsed lung, blood loss, and broken bones.

Then again, I hear only hear one side of the stories from friends, so other than those rare cases i hear about, it could be pretty easy going. This is just what i have heard.

I think Europe's generally more pragmatic; thinking of Spain and such.

I don't see it going tighter over the years.

Best wishes to our friends in Euroland

It is not legal in the Netherlands (I live there).

Non-enforcement

Cannabis remains a controlled substance in the Netherlands and both possession and production for personal use are still misdemeanors, punishable by fine. Coffee shops are also technically illegal according to the statutes but, as has been said, are flourishing nonetheless. However, a policy of non-enforcement has led to a situation where reliance upon non-enforcement has become common, and because of this the courts have ruled against the government when individual cases were prosecuted.
This is because the Dutch Ministry of Justice applies a gedoogbeleid (tolerance policy) with regard to soft drugs: an official set of guidelines telling public prosecutors under which circumstances offenders should not be prosecuted. This is a more official version of the common practice in other countries, in which law enforcement sets priorities as to which offenses are important enough to spend limited resources on. According to current gedoogbeleid the possession of a maximum amount of five grams cannabis for personal use is not prosecuted. A maximum of five Cannabis sativa plants may be grown without prosecution, although they have to be handed over upon discovery.[1] (Dutch)
Proponents of gedoogbeleid argue that such a policy offers more consistency in legal protection in practice, than without it. Opponents of the Dutch drug policy either call for full legalization, or argue that laws should penalize morally wrong or decadent behavior, whether this is enforceable or not. In the Dutch courts, however, it has long been determined that the institutionalized non-enforcement of statutes with well defined limits constitutes de facto decriminalization. The statutes are kept on the books mainly due to international pressure and in adherence with international treaties [7]. A November 2008 poll showed that a 60% majority of the Dutch population support the legalisation of soft drugs. The same poll showed that 85% supported closing of all cannabis coffee shops within 250 meters of a walk from schools. [8].

Drug policy of the Netherlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the UK it's situated between Class B and Class C - the difference being the penalty you receive if found inducing the smoking of it. If your found with it on you, the Police are only entitled to search, take it off you, or fine you if they can proove that you have been smoking it.

The only way you can smoke it legally in the UK is if you have a (extremley rare) medical certificate and lisence from the Secretary of State and Home Office.

The leader of the 2nd biggest parrliament party in the UK announced he wants funds for a research into the health benefits of marijuana and cannabis and would therfore make it practically legal.

Okay, so we know who we're gonna vote 4 now huh?? lol! ;)

Hi, I'm from Finland and I think cannabis is about go get legalized, we have pretty strong support in legalization here in Finland I i join the Cannabis March every single year.

Back
Top Bottom