Lets talk seriously about LED's and end the bull that retailers are getting away with

Jocko

I've been all over the various LED retailers and many of the LED threads in these forums. Just like all of you I'm still confused and frustrated. The retailers obviously say that their approach is the best but as buyers we haven't yet really challenged them or tried to confirm or disprove their hype. Some of the forums actually propose head to head grows but as far as I can see any results are inconclusive with too many variables. They all seem to degenerate into the emotion and hype that we get from the retailers.

I really would like to get a serious discussion going, digging deeper into the technical issues.

From what I can see the main areas that we as buyers need resolved are as follows:

1. The actual spectrums of bulbs employed and the percentage of each light. Apparently some less effective spectrums have lower raw costs

2. Some manufacturers are coming out with 2, 3 and 6watt LEDS. They contend that the higher wattage LEDs have better penetration and are more efficient (more Lumens per watt) I ran into a company recently that rejects this completely. They contend that 1 watt LEDs are the most efficient and provide more Lumens per watt. I really hit a brick wall trying to confirm that statement. The LED manufacturers websites are difficult to navigate and geared for electrical engineers. I also cannot determine if the Lumen per watt issue is across the industry or just for one manufacturer. Do higher wattage LEDs actually penetrate deeper regardless of the efficiency issue? (certainly a 1000w HID has more penetration horsepower than a 250 w HID) The whole penetration issue is anybody's guess.

3. The next confusing variable is the lens angles utilized. I've seen very focused (30 deg) to very disbursed (180 deg) and most company's that will not discuss it at all. The argument that the more focused light would naturally penetrate deeper into a plants canopy seems logical but is it? As a side thought.... could a wider angle lens work with a SCROG setup in a growbox if the canopy was trained partially up the box on the perimeters of the SCROG screen. Perhaps this would effectively use some of the light that is focused at the walls of the grow, HMMM?

Lets all get out there and really challenge these companies with these questions. Send emails and or call them. Make them be specific about their suppliers, spectrums etc and challenge them to do controlled side by side tests with other lights. Let them know their answers will be shared on this forum. If we all stand together on this they will learn that they cannot just pass off any bullshit on their websites. Lets stop taking their word for it!!

This may turn into yet another fruitless thread on LED lights. Unfortunately until we feel more confident paying for expensive lighting the industry will not achieve its potential. That would be a shame.

Re: Lets talk seriously about LED's and end the bull that retailers are getting away

Hi jocko,i totally agree.I ordered a 120w tri band led after searching for answers.I'm going to give it a shot on 2 hempy plants they are in the second week of flower.I figured the only way to really find out is to try it.

There are some real big claims(ie:120w led=300w hps)
not that i believe them.any way i'm subscribed.
HH

Re: Lets talk seriously about LED's and end the bull that retailers are getting away

I just ordered a 144 watt from builder and FireQueen, from what I've been reading here and around they sound good enough to give them a try ! If they work I'll be getting a few more for sure the heat is still on the way for So. Cal. and I don't want burnt plants again !!

I just ordered a 144 watt from builder and FireQueen, from what I've been reading here and around they sound good enough to give them a try ! If they work I'll be getting a few more for sure the heat is still on the way for So. Cal. and I don't want burnt plants again !!

I'll be looking for your grow when you get yours.my delivery is scheduled for july 8th.

i have a hard time believing the diffierence in price from place to place,there was a 100% difference between 2 stores.:grinjoint:

Yeah Hydro, I've been lookin and getting scared !! But builders' signed up here as a sponsor , and they seem to be right on top of any questions so I'll give em a try ,there lights do look impressive after reading all the specks !? Its hard to believe some of them like what you say the prices for the same lights varying so much I've seen a few ufo s on ebay for under a hundred than on another site same light for 299 ?? WTF ?? I paid 509 for the 144 watt with shipping , thats a hell of a lot more than I paid for my 400 hps and 6" vortec fan ! But they say I won't need the fan for cooling now !? Will see , and I will let you know !

Yeah Hydro, I've been lookin and getting scared !! But builders' signed up here as a sponsor , and they seem to be right on top of any questions so I'll give em a try ,there lights do look impressive after reading all the specks !? Its hard to believe some of them like what you say the prices for the same lights varying so much I've seen a few ufo s on ebay for under a hundred than on another site same light for 299 ?? WTF ?? I paid 509 for the 144 watt with shipping , thats a hell of a lot more than I paid for my 400 hps and 6" vortec fan ! But they say I won't need the fan for cooling now !? Will see , and I will let you know !

Yea hippy, i hear ya.I gave 239.99,free shipping off ebay.It won't be to bad if it at least it reduces heat and inter node spacing.I don't think it will compete with my 400w.:grinjoint:
HH

Hey HH

Who did you buy from?

Would they give you the spectrum of lights and % of each band?

What wattage on the bulbs and more importantly what is the lens angle? This probably has a lot to do with the actual Lumens delivered at a given distance from the canopy.

Keep us posted on your grow.

For everybody else out there I'm seriously considering letting companies know about this forum. If we apply enough pressure as a group they will have no choice but to join in and debate the strengths and weaknesses of the various tech issues. It will be a win/win for us as well as the industry and and end to misleading deceptive unsubstantiated advertising. What do you all think about this approach???

Hey HH

Who did you buy from?

Would they give you the spectrum of lights and % of each band?

What wattage on the bulbs and more importantly what is the lens angle? This probably has a lot to do with the actual Lumens delivered at a given distance from the canopy.

Keep us posted on your grow.

For everybody else out there I'm seriously considering letting companies know about this forum. If we apply enough pressure as a group they will have no choice but to join in and debate the strengths and weaknesses of the various tech issues. It will be a win/win for us as well as the industry and and end to misleading deceptive unsubstantiated advertising. What do you all think about this approach???

I'll pm you.
HH

It will be hard to get some companies to discuss their details on the lights.... fortunately, as I am sure you have seen, there are some growers on here, unbiased, that have grows going/ completed and the results speak for themselves....
I personally used a Haight Solid State PFF-800 (about 180 watts) and it was doing a great job. I would have liked better results, but other factors had a big hand in the grow of course, some unforeseen.
Seems Irishboy is getting excellent results from the brand he is using now as are a few others.

Hanshisan

Its good to hear that you got good results from this light. Could you elaborate and tell us what you think worked or didn't work for your grow? It's just me, but I'm one of those propeller heads that just need to know WHY something works!

The Haight products seem very compelling. They go with the 6watt LEDs set at a very high 180 deg dispersion. Their individual lights being 6 watt are spaced on the board much further apart supposedly eliminating the need for cooling fans that could fail. Does your light seem to run cool enough to not need the cooling fans? If so that would be a good thing.

The other issue with these lights is the 180 deg lens that theoretically will direct a lot of light to the walls potentially unused. Do you find that you can correct for this by positioning the light closer to the top of your crop? On their site I came across something that discouraged you from getting the light too close as it either stunted growth (how can you have too much light?) Again light directed to a wall does your crop no good. They never explained why this is the case. It certainly isn't heat.

Just like an HID it seems that the issue really is how much "measured" light hits a certain radius at any given distance. (the intensity and penetration go hand in hand) A smaller more focused light just might achieve the same good results at any given distance. As far as I know no manufacturer shares that info if they even have it themselves. That is exactly how a user of an HID determines the wattage of their light and the distance from the top of their crop.

I'm most likely dreaming but next week I'm going to email several sellers and invite them to this discussion. If they participate, and that is a big if, that's the discussion that we can all sit back on and let happen. We'll learn way more than if we just discuss it among ourselves. I'll refer to this thread, but being a new user I haven't yet figured out how to embed that information in an email. Can anyone help me there?

Good morning Jocko and welcome to 420 !! Looks like another guy is getting interested in these new fangled lights !! I just ordered one myself yesterday ! A 144 watt from Earthfiregardens they have been explaining their product here just look for either FireQueen or The Builder , they are the ones who can help you with their product ! Hope you find one you like and will see what they can do !! :peace:

hot thread......I have a 600w LED and I bought a 288w unit from Firequeen. the plants under the 600 are kicking ass, just flipped 12/12 today.
I will be using the 288w unit very shortly.
I have no vested interest in either sponsor so check out the current LED thread I have now.
I could give a rats ass about angles and watts and what not....as long as they work

Same here if it works I'll buy one ! Don't try explaining stuff to an ol hippy he just falls asleep , but tell me honestly that it works and I'm in ! Can't wait to see some action in my tent !! :peace:

Hey ol hippy

good point but I can't get away from it. Does anything work better and WHY???

Viper
I'm hearing ya. I think the problem is that a lot of them don't work and unless discussions get going on tech issues than the industry will never move forward and prices will stay out of reach. Most people I talk to are just using HIDs and waiting for the LED industry to just plain fail or succeed despite itself.

LED's are monochromatic light sources. They produce 1 single wavelength of light, and that's it. PAR per watt is what you want to measure, not lumen. There's various peaks where Chlorophyll A and B, and auxiliary pigments that transfer energy to them as well. Ultimately, only one LED lighting company produced any scientific information regarding how well they work, and that was the one that started all this LED research with NASA, and that was some years ago.

Ultimately thou, there are two sources of heat. One is from the inefficiency of the light bulb generating heat from the reaction. The other is from the photons absorbed by the plant when all the Chlorophyll is all busy, and it has to radiate the energy back out of the plant. Monochromatic light sources that activate the specific sights are thought give the plant less energy to radiate.

Measuring the Lumans per watt is really junk science. The number of PAR per Watt is the right way, as well as measuring the amount of dispersed heat into the air from the plant and from the bulb.

Does anyone have any new insights/comments/ideas?

Hi TS,
I am surprised at the difference in prices of the smaller (90/120w).I found the same units with the same specs varied between $160 to $499.That was for the 1w,made in usa.I've only had my 120w for about a week,i have only used it in conjuction with cfl(280w),this fall i plan to use it to raise seedlings and supplement my 400w hid.
IMO the cost of the 300-600w units does not compute.Of course my needs are not such that i try to grow more than 2-3 plants.I am happy with 2oz per plant.:rollit:
HH

I have never grown with leds hell im just now growing after 30 years i have
a 100wt hps and a 400 mh
But i have used leds witch is (light emiting diode) i would think the diode
driver does not vary much they get the colour from mixing up epoxy so
i would think a good quality operation would be needed.Also the fixture and
design would be a whole lot of quality issues most diodes operate on a forward
voltage of less than a couple volts.

PS disclaimer i am no electrical guy just a stoner car mechanic so take this
as opinion.

Back
Top Bottom