Lighting Questions

Oh no. :thedoubletake: But they produce seeds so that just gives me more chances correct?

Yeah, the males produce seeds. On a female.

It's like yeah, your sperm makes babies. In a woman. :winkyface:

If you've only got one plant and it's a male you don't get bud and you don't get seeds (but if it's windy enough when they're dropping pollen, the guy who's got 25 plants hidden within a 1/4 mile of your male might get seeds in what he thought was going to be good sinsimilia; he won't be real thrilled).

yes i agree with TorturedSoul,,
please pull and dispose of the plant if it is male,,

that't the thing around where i am ,, hemp fields pollinating outdoor crops,, :(
i understand the benefits of hemp, but always a shame to loose a crop of good females,,

im working with jayson on this "project" and its pretty awesome
i have to say this plant has taken over most of our lives... which im not complaining:allgood::roorrip:

just wait til next grow. remember all the shit you guys did this grow. i keep journals of all my grows so i can go back and look at times, watering quantities, bug problems, etc. any info. you can find or keep track of from your personal experience is great. it's always nice to have a friend you can really trust to know bout it and even recruit them to help yo ass trim when they get done. trust me you'll want him around. we just cut ours down last night and it took 2 of us 3 1/2 hrs. to trim 2 plants and hang the buds up to dry.

OK Check this out this is my first pant ever. You don't need much space or money to get started. I got this plant started under only one small CFL from Wal-Mart. It cost $8 for the shop light, and $8 for a 2 pack of bulbs. Get the highest wattage "daylight" you can get. I got the 26w actual. you should get a timer too but it's not important when you start as you can keep the light on 24hrs that's what I did.

By now you probably already have the things I mentioned. I slowly got more lights and sockets as I could afford them. While your seed is growing, you'll have time to learn about sexing. It takes time for a plant to become sexually mature.

Keep the light close, the cfls won't burn the leaves unless the touch the bulb. I'd move my lights to about 4inches above her until she grew within 2 inches then move my lights up.

Remeber this all started with ONE 26w light.

I cut cans to make reflectors to maximise the use of the lights, but now I just have them off, I'm not sure if it helped.
mama_small_with_dome.JPG

these are all the same light bulbs. The 3 ways are simple I got everything for those at Wal-Mart again, for about $12. The draw back is I have to hang them and they aren't heavy enough to allow me to put a fan in the closet.

mama_big_plus.JPG

Look into ScROG, or LST. to maximize light exposer.

mama_no_lights.JPG

a few weeks current, the big girl went back into the hole that the plant she was cut from was in.

I made a promise to her that if she taught me how to clone and grow, that I'd set her free :) She did that, and her cuttings made some really nice smoke, and hopefully in mid to late Oct she'll have some poundage to harvest.

I'm moving to some other strains and fresh genetics that didn't get stressed by me for 10 months.

+Rep for staying true to the plant man.You setting her free will be repaid by good karma when it comes to grows. I would love to see some of your grows keep me updated if you start a journal!

+Rep for staying true to the plant man.You setting her free will be repaid by good karma when it comes to grows. I would love to see some of your grows keep me updated if you start a journal!

I'd PM you, but I don't post enough. It says I need 25 posts first? darn it.

I don't wanna take over the thread.

Jayson17 bottom line is rough, but it's possible to do it cheap. Remember that failiure is never a total loss if you can improve your technique or learn what not to do.

You're gonna need other lighting for flowering, but you have some time to save up for it. You also should try reading through here. There's already a plethera of information on here.

Wow nice pic racefan it looks like a gazillion plants in there but its only 4! very nice! is that your grow? and calvet you should try starting a grow journal! so everyone can see and help!

and calvet you should try starting a grow journal! so everyone can see and help!

I'm trying to move right now, so I'm just veging the stuff you see on the side. I don't want to get anything into flowering until I can get settled in and set up. I may start doing a journal, but I don't know if I can stay commited to it.

I cut cans to make reflectors to maximise the use of the lights, but now I just have them off, I'm not sure if it helped.

Look at it this way: The reflectors took the light from the bulbs that was uselessly shining on the ceiling and instead directed it downwards where your plants are at. Did it help a great deal? Who's to say. Was it worth the price of a can that you bought to drink the soda from anyway? Absolutely! You could say the reflector was free. Some (any) benefit for no additional cost is always going to be "worth it."

I like the mention of SCRoG. I've been a huge promoter of SCRoG for years. It makes the best use of a light and the screen allows one to maintain 100% control of their canaopy. The room below is 4 plants at 5 weeks flower under 1 400watt HPS if I remember right.
5_weeks_into_flower_2.JPG

And THAT'S a great example of it man! Almost every hole filled. BUDS growing up from each hole (and pretty much only buds).

Can be adapted to just about any light. Way back when I used 4' florescents I found Scrog was THE way to get a decent harvest as all the buds were close to the lights. Later when I switched to HPSs I even tried to "bowl" the screen slightly on the assumption that directly under the bulb got the most illumination while the edges got a bit less (and therefore should be closer to the light) but I can't say that it was necessary - I just liked to screw with things.

I grew one plant per screen which took a WHILE to get everything going but with lots of screens each started a couple weeks after the previous one, it kept me pretty busy but never too busy and left me a two week break every so often lol. Enough screens and that long veg time coincided with the schedule.

+REPS for the example!

HAha Wow All of That is amazing (been offline for awhile)
Thanks for all the info :D
I will seriously look into some of those other lights.
Thanks a lot you Guys
:ganjamon: :peace:

Later when I switched to HPSs I even tried to "bowl" the screen slightly on the assumption that directly under the bulb got the most illumination while the edges got a bit less (and therefore should be closer to the light) but I can't say that it was necessary - I just liked to screw with things

I didn't SCRoG my only flower cycle cause I wanted to learn how the plant grew naturally first, but I put the sorter plants directly below the bulb and the taller ones futher out. On the plants under the bulb, the top leave stayed curled up, so I figured it was hotter there.

Look at it this way: The reflectors took the light from the bulbs that was uselessly shining on the ceiling and instead directed it downwards where your plants are at. Did it help a great deal? Who's to say. Was it worth the price of a can that you bought to drink the soda from anyway? Absolutely! You could say the reflector was free. Some (any) benefit for no additional cost is always going to be "worth it."

The cans were a really fun stoned project anyway. I lined the bottoms of them with aluminume ducting tape to increase the reflectivity. They probably did help a little.

The cans were a really fun stoned project anyway. I lined the bottoms of them with aluminume ducting tape to increase the reflectivity. They probably did help a little.

If you want to complicate the project slightly: The opened-can reflector is a half-circle with the open end pointing downwards. Modify it so that it is more like a rounded capital M (with the center crease not deep). That way the light shining straight up from the bulb will not be reflected straight back down into it.

Then "dimple" the aluminum surface all over.

I tried to crease some of them, but they kept ripping. I leave the bottom of the can on for rigidity. I'm not sure if I took the bottom off, I might be able to shape it better if do. I never thought about dimpling, I should try that.

Back
Top Bottom