Living mulch - It's alive

Bennyweed1

living mulch? INSIDE?!? why the hell not?

I am gonna try to compile what we know so far about living mulch candidates. corrections appreciated. updated feb 21 2012

microclover: this variety of dutch white clover is very hard to come by, but perfect for any size container. sow it thick. see dutch white clover for details.

dutch white clover: suitable for all but the smallest containers. White clover is a nitrogen fixer under the right conditions. It does a good job shading the soil and does not interfere with cannabis growth, rooting, or germination. Spreads by above ground stolons, and forms a mat of shallow roots. Can be used alone for increased bio-activity at soil surface, water management, and as green manure. Can host some of the same mycorhizae as cannabis. Tolerates some mowing if well established. In its first year it has a deep taproot. Expect it to behave as an annual indoors.

crimson clover: suitable for 5 gallon containers and up. tap-rooted annual. Forms a thick carpet that creates a nanoclimate from the soil surface up about 6 inches. Same compatibility with cannabis as other clovers. does not do well with mowing. Crimson clover flowers when the day becomes longer than 12 hours. Crimson clover loves warm climates and does especially well indoors.

chickweed - chickweed should be sown very sparingly in larger containers. great with crimson clover. perfect for chop and drop to feed your soil. This is my #1 non legume choice for a living mulch. Excellent partner for cannabis. Edible but bland.

chamomile - definitely harmless.

yarrow: yarrow seems to be a good companion for cannabis but does not do especially well under a full canopy. Plant it along edges where the light will get through, or consider supplemental lighting down below. Makes a great dressing if you cut yourself mowing your mulch.

purslane - harmless but does not do well under lights

squash: squash should be chopped and dropped as they shade too much soil. squash as a companion should be reserved for the very largest containers and outdoor cultivation in the ground.

here are some examples of other growers:

swt4.jpg

user186982_pic659961_13040043711.jpg

004-112.jpg

011-17.jpg

so is this basically for looks or what?

Oh no my friend, clover has a nitrogen fixing property. I literally supplies nitrogen from the air to the host plants through its roots. It also host beneficial bacteria and fungi and keeps the top soil moist and shaded. It will also deter pest like Gnats by forming a thick cover making it hard to crawl through.

You simply chop when it grows to tall and let it break down and turn into organic matter.

And as the title says "it is alive"

I must admit though, it does look pretty.

thats cool as hell, i thought it looked quite nice, thats why i thought it was decoration, lol. ill have to try that, my girlfriend would love it.

and it'd help my babies out too :D

how quickly does this grow? how would one implement this into their cycle if growing perpetually, transplant into final pots a week before flip?

Green mulch does this not act as direct competition for nutrients & moisture with the MJ ?

Whilst yes, some choice of green mulch would make excellent green manure which some species of clover are renowned for their nitrogen fixing properties & often used as a green manure on organic farms on field rotation.

the clovers have very shallow roots, and cannabis roots go deep, so they don't interfere

Precisely! They have shallow roots which form a thick web deterring nasty insects and trapping in moisture in the delicate top soil..

The clover literally lifts the top layer making it feel spongy which in actuality is pure aeration.

White clover may yield as much as 225 kg/ha of nitrogen per year through nitrogen-fixing organisms. Clover root system naturally host nodules of Rhizobium, a bacteria that degrades organic matter, releasing fixed nitrogen for reuse by other organisms.

The roots act as a host for this bacteria, which forms a intimate symbiotic associations with plants or with other organisms. Or as growers may be concerned, this shit jumps in bed with Maryjane and gets all intimate and froms a sexy little symbolic relationship!

Any further and it starts to get X rated....you perverts! ;)

so my question is, is there any way to recycle the clovers, or would you have to sow them in each pot you plan to use? I'm thinking of a logical way to include this in a smaller scale perpetual system.. Is it possible to remove the top layer and repot that on future pots and keep them growing, or would you need to sow new seeds in every pot?

so my question is, is there any way to recycle the clovers, or would you have to sow them in each pot you plan to use? I'm thinking of a logical way to include this in a smaller scale perpetual system.. Is it possible to remove the top layer and repot that on future pots and keep them growing, or would you need to sow new seeds in every pot?

Well to be honest with you, I am not entirely sure. I do suppose you could peal the top layer like sod; as long as you were careful and didnt rip it apart. I never tried it. In my perpetual garden I just reuse the same pots by removing the plant and leaving the clover.

Do me a favor. If you try it out, let me know if it works! That'd be sA-weeet!

Well to be honest with you, I am not entirely sure. I do suppose you could peal the top layer like sod; as long as you were careful and didnt rip it apart. I never tried it. In my perpetual garden I just reuse the same pots by removing the plant and leaving the clover.

Do me a favor. If you try it out, let me know if it works! That'd be sA-weeet!

yeah i saw you were growing in those types of containers, which is the best way to go. I'll definitely give it a try though and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom