Looking for Help Making Tincture

closetorganic

I have been looking on how to make a marihuana tincture in Everclear I purchased with 7 grams of my better bag strain and the frosty trim from that plant. the bud is at 3 weeks from harvest in mason jar cure now . I have read different ways and am gonna do the cold method of cold everclear and frozen buds mixed and shaken in a mason jar stored in the freezerfor at least a week shaking several times a day.
Does that sound OK?
And I also read decarbing first or not at all for cold This is where I need some advice to do and how. I need an imediate effect from this tincture I know it has to do with bud quality and I feel my stuff is there in quality.
I think I heard decarbing it will give more instant that just straight alcohol absorbtion that must hit the liver first to change thc into useable form. AM I Right on this?
Also how much everclear should I pour to just 7 grams if I only used that bud and maybe save the trim for hash?
:hmmmm:

I don't know the recipe you talking about, but you seem to be rather muddled you saying that during now to go to use frozen buds???

The buds are frozen they probably will be wet when you defrost them, so you'd be better to decarb just to try them out, then add your Everclear, unless the recipe calls for fresh marijuana, in which case it should be as dry as when you pick it.

I'm kind of confused about putting in the freezer, I would have thought it would be in the cupboard for the refrigerator, for a week. But if the recipe you read says to put it in the freezer then do that.

What effect are you going for? are you just looking to get stoned were you looking for a medical relief, what kind of relief are you looking for?

You should decarb first to activate the compounds in it .... otherwise, you wont' get the "High" from it .... if that's what you are after. Soaking in grain alcohol works just fine. No need to freeze anything. The trichomes will dissolve in the alcohol either way. You can soak it for 24 hours to as long as 30 days. The longer it sits, the more compounds are rinsed from inside the plant. You can't decarb it afterwards because you'll boil off all the alcohol and it will become rick simpson oil instead of tincture. But, you can boil off some of the alcohol if it is too diluted. The more alcohol you boil off, the stronger the tincture become .... that is until there's no enough alcohol left to call it tincture. Once all the alcohol is gone it's only oil.

Definitely decarboxylate it first. This will not only enhance the psychotropic effect of the medicine, but will allow the active cannabinoids to be MORE soluble in the ethyl alcohol medium.

Also note, by you using only 7 grams of starting materials, you will only get a VERY small yield that might not even be worth it!

Also, there is no need to make things cold, you are only going to lower the solubility, and you will allow less cannabinoids to be forced into the bonds of the ethyl alcohol solvent. By doing it at RT (or slightly heated) you will maximize your percent recovery.

I have made tincture using everclear. My proportions were much bigger, as I used 46 grams (dry trim/shake) dissolved/shaken into a pint of everclear. In my humble opinion, 7 grams of bud is not worth making tincture out of, you should vaporizer/smoke it instead. Acquire your trimmings/shake and do it with that if you want.

Also, the tincture does not have an immediate effect on me, I found it to be rather nasty because it is hard to eliminate any possible traces of plant matter/impurities that remain in solution.

And in response, to Mutt, Yes you could always boil off the solvent, but in a house-hold scenario without a commerical hot plate (and if its a large batch ) may be a bit dangerous. But not much more dangerous than forcing liquid butane at high pressures through a pipe and holding it close to your face.

Either way, up to you. When I did it , I did not boil off any solvent.

P.S. If you have the means to make a hot water bath to evaporate your solvent, you could end up with some cannabis oil, as Mutt said. That would be better medicine than a diluted tincture, just make sure you do your hot water bath correctly. =-)s

ok I just literaly spent 2 hours typeing message responding to mutt and USD through family distractions to then try and post which was not alowed had relog and refresh and lost everything Then Relaxed Leester had post I read that now and will have to rewrite later Please be patient for an answered response to your posts friends and I wish the best to everyones new year

It actually helps me many ways. I responsibly yet daily use my medicine to help keep my head clearer and mellow and just feeling better and not have the side effects a line up of pills gave me that I stopped as soon as I got my card 2 years ago. TIME MONEY AND SPACE HAVE ME LEASHED I want the immediate effect like a joint for when I need than effect soon So no vsporizr yet $$$.and I failed 2x on butter and harvest not enough to experiment with quanity and want a healthier use for my medicine then joints bowls. I do enjoy them and have worked them into my life to help me and still be a responsible parent Im just trying to bypass side effects of smoking the plant. Relaxed Leester I did plan on the cheesecloth at the end but thought decarbing would make it imediate sublingually. SO I will decarb first But my small amount you think would not be worthwhile or what about enough to fill like 2 eyedropper bottles they say to get maybe 1or 2 ounces size each IDK much and do feel muttled SO many thoughts and ideas seeded in my head wanting to sprout
Iheard to decarb on sheet in oven bag put in cold oven turn on low then pull out 10 minutes later ground up too not powdered tho now I will just do it at RT thanxs Releaxed Leester

So since I dont know crap Im sorry but like the help so far maybe now I need better instructions for decarbing first and was wondering on bud to weverclear mixture like pour to above bud level sum is that realistic for my little amount? or is there more exact measures. Also on taste I read to run through paper coffe filters after cheesecloth again no clue here only small bits of nfo I can remember but I do have faith and trust with members here on advice so the more details to help me are grately appreciated
Thankyou Much closet

To USD Thanks for your comments too. I do enjoy being stoned but also seek medical relief from a severe closed head injury I am still rehabilateing from. I am grateful to God I survived and woke up from a coma after 2 weeks. Long story lots of drama! I frequently suffered head and neck pain and became unstable mentally through depression anxiety and insomnia. SO I was told Im biPolar and put on meds for first time in life. Thats when I felt side effects and did not like the results. I ended up in syke hospital 3 times during that period until the last one where my psychiatrist was on side with medical marijuana and Michigan was medical already. I had used already recreationally and was not afraid of it. Now I stopped taking pills, Again I am thankfull this medicine has helped me do that successfully. By the way my history of rec drugs never was pain pills Mostly Pot then although first but limited alcohol and majic mushrooms too. Now Im medical with card I feel better useing it withoutfeeling just like a pot head illegally.

Now Im medical with card I feel better useing it without feeling just like a pot head illegally.
that's good, I'm less tolerant of legal potheads, but will help anyone that just wants medical results, or those that see being stoned as a side effect they could do without :) Sounds like our medical histories are similar, here doctors will often be happy to have you use marijuana, they just don't let you tell anyone else, cause its illegal here. Their nasty painkillers are legal, with all the damage they do to you health... blah blah.

I just got instructions for you. For cold Cold Alcohol Tincture
THsea's Tincture Recipe

The thing I like about that recipe is, if it isn't strong enough, you just let some of the alcohol evaporate, we used to do that outside in the evening, although I guess it's winter there, but still could thing of some ways to evap somewhere that works for you. As for quanties, once you decarb you herbs and crumble them up, ... oh read the recipe and ask any questions I'd be happy to help.

Wow that recipe is great and answered what I needed to know. Thankyou USD for showing this to me. I can understand it and plan to follow it right on. And this simple recipe and instructions is right from this site! I plan on searching better here first next time. Iam new to this media where I dont facebook basically can barely google .Thats how I found 420 googling pictures of defecientcies.and found Problems Pests & Diseases I looked at site and could understand enough To just sign up barely to ask a question. Then just reading quickly a flood of knowlegde that drastically improved things to consistent success getting a little better each time. I have so much room for improvement. I will attempt this tincture soon maybe tonight after bed time. I will use the mixture of decarbed bud with the other regular trim for my experiment like THSEA recipe suggests clean of stems and let it soak and shake for 3 weeks I dont have cheesecloth yet but I will have time on that and have everything else now. I should take pics at steps to show this. I would be more satisfied to get about a weeks worth of doses for it to be worthwhile I guess but Im just thinking Im curious to see if the effects will right for me!
:thanks:

I'm pleased its what you want, yes do take pictures, find me and I will help you start a post showing the recipe.

It is well worth starting a blog about growing, there is so much help here. I would love to have your pictures and working on my blog, since I can't make that type of tincture here. Great helpful info

Ok I did begin tonight on my tincture and did take some pictures so this is how I did it so far.

I had about 7 grams of my better bag strain dried and cured and about 10 grams last trim of this plant mixed lightly with some calyxs left on branches and fine powder keif that I scraped up after picking out stems and ugly leaves from trim. I said I would follow THsea s recipe right on provided to me from UpSideDown.
To decarb for my first time I preheated oven to 220 and sealed up those 7g of bud in tin foil and then panicked. I began thinking that was too hot and was afraid of vaporizeing thc so I ended up my decarboxylation only at 200'f for 20 minutes and let it cool. Sorry I freaked and jumped ship there. So I let it cool and by hand broke up like to roll picking out stems and making even texture- when I had it in the oven I did smell a brief smell of plant when it was cooled and I unsealed it the smell was amazing .That strain in a couple grows has never smelt that clean good and strong I became more excited.
I combine the herb in a pint regular mouth canning jar and it sat at about the 1 cup mark. my thinking was to fill 2 dropper bottles like THsea mentioned which are about 1/4 cup. I originally was gonna use a cup of everclear in event of loseing some and evaporating down like said to about half way but felt more comfortable at 1 and a 1/2 cups of everclear. I was alittle heavy with wieght than about a third material decarbed. By haveing 7g to 10g and it was better too so maybe I may get 3 bottles now or keep evaporating to desired strength. Its hard for me to feel this would not be succesfull with my decent stuff and the Great Help I have recieved so far.
Here are some pics of my materials
009639.JPG

about 10g of trim and shake it was pretty full of resin
0011125.JPG

about 7g of my better bag strain before decarb

Very cool, did you so well, make sure you go back to the thread THsea wrote, and leave them a link to this post, I'm sure they will be interested.
Can I beg for one more photo, one of the crushed herbs in the jar with the everclear? And where are you storing it?

I'm pretty sure with all that herbal ingredients you will get a nice brew, one thing I do like about this way of making tincture, is what THsea said about letting more alcohol evap off to make it stronger. that makes a lot of sense to me.

So how long do we have to wait now?

And the first bad news already. from THsea s recipe
Lightly grind the non-processed buds, put in a glass jar ( taking out stems and seeds.. There maybe trichomes on the stems, but it will effect the taste to include them... Fair warning! You maybe able to use stems in quick washes... But I don't do that)... The decarbed bud will crumble without a grinder.. Just make sure your hands are clean .. Again, stems unwelcome... Also, the greater purportion of decarboxylate buds will have the potency higher faster... By this I mean that this process occurs naturally with cannabis.. But it takes a long time, and never fully.. I find a one third ratio keeps flavor while giving a nice bump to potency.
I did pick out stems and saw or felt no seeds I pour everclear and stuf is floating it looks like the smallest seeds Ive seen maybe premature Like 100 of them I had to sigh Heres the picture
022183.JPG

They have to be seeds and I have been smoking them and could not see them either or tell. They must have swelled they are so visable in there now and from what said will not help taste. What can I do except roll with it and realize I probably have herm genitics growing and maybe am harvesting too early before the seeds matured. its a small disappointment as I thought I was growing and useing seed free medicine.
Anyways I will strain in 3 weeks and begin to evaporate alcohol to around 3/4 cup and test then. It is in my fridge in paper bag to block light and I will attempt to shake several times a day.
Any more suggestions and tips I wouldnt mind I always want to do the best I can. Thankyou Mutt ReLaxed Leester USd and THsea for giving me the info and support I needed to start this project!

Open the bottle, get a spoon and hook those seeds out now, into a clean cup, while they are still floating, the longer they are there, the more the taste will extract. Even if you only get 20 or the seeds it will be better than leaving them all in.

while you hook out the seeds, might be better to put them on a plate, when you have as many as you can get, close the jar while you sort the seeds and herbs. flick the bits of leaf to one side the seed to the other, then just scape the seeds into the trash, and the leafy bits back into the jar, the alcohol with kill any bugs etc.

Its getting late for me USD snd it feels like message tag ha ha I did try to fish them out after reading your post They are so small here are the pictures
0031069.JPG

the small specks by pen tip are my seeds so small
004994.JPG

I may have gotten out half of them after a shake to put back in fridge more surfaced. Im still disappointed on that issue but still think It will be a good brew too

Back
Top Bottom