Loosening the Roots When Transplanting

Goshawk

When transplanting all other plants besides marijuana it seems to be recommended to loosen
the root ball and spread out the roots some when transplanting. I haven't seen or read about
anyone doing this when transplanting the sweet ganja weed. Do people do this and just not
mention it?
Any thoughts or experience with this subject would be appreciated..........:rollit:.............:peace:

Hey hawk ive done the same move everytime when transplanting! I juggle the under roots like im adjusting my balls you know? Real lightly but enough to get them happie! Dont scrap too much soil off or they might take a 7 day stress break! But they will be fine! Goodluck

It's a call thing, depending on how rootbound it is or isn't.

I might transplant as is, loosen the rootball like above, score the rootball ~1/2" deep with a knife, or trim the roots like slicing bread.

Those steps, in order, are from a planned transplant before it's rootbound, to severely rootbound where there is like little dirt and mostly roots, like long term mother plants.

I treat mj pretty much like anything else I grow.

DD

Come on droopy my balls thing was pretty good! Yet it always stimulates my root growth!

Come on droopy my balls thing was pretty good! Yet it always stimulates my root growth!

It was! LOL That's what I was referring to when I said 'as above', but I should have been more specific.

Stimulates MY root growth also. LOL

DD

So something I see the landscapers do is leave the root ball solid but use a knife or edge of a trowel, to scraped the edges, they say scratch the roots, then dust it with this stuff they say makes roots. Reading the bottle it came from it looks to be some sort of micro culture... bacterial thing. And some vitamin b.

They say if you dont scratch off the woody parts of the roots (where it was pressed up against its previous container) they will continue to grow in that shape and direction. The point is to get the roots to grow out... not just down.

Make of it what you will....

:nicethread: :nicethread: :nicethread:

I'm new to growing so I didn't know about this. I will be trying out this method on my next transplant...

:yahoo: It's great learning new growing tips :yahoo:

So something I see the landscapers do is leave the root ball solid but use a knife or edge of a trowel, to scraped the edges, they say scratch the roots, then dust it with this stuff they say makes roots. Reading the bottle it came from it looks to be some sort of micro culture... bacterial thing. And some vitamin b.

They say if you dont scratch off the woody parts of the roots (where it was pressed up against its previous container) they will continue to grow in that shape and direction. The point is to get the roots to grow out... not just down.

Make of it what you will....

Good post! I almost put that in my question because I've seen gardeners on TV do that....... just wasn't sure what they were doing. When I buy tomato plants and transplant them I pull the root ball apart from the bottom to loosen them and the roots sometimes feel like they are tearing. Pot plants seem so sensitive I haven't treated them that roughly.
I think I will loosen them lightly and scrape the sides. Thanks for posting that HeadMed.............:rollit:

Back
Top Bottom