Madras / Chennai Report

dc2020

I normally don't go to Madras (or as it is known now - Chennai) for more than a day or two at a time. I also do not have many friends or family in this city (atleast none that are smokers) so I do not have a contact for scoring some.

However, this time I was there for more than a week. So this meant that I will need to score some smokes to while away the time.

After scouring the web (webehigh and orkut groups) I was able to pinpoint a few areas that weed is easily available.

I then went a grabbed an auto rickshaw (those 3 wheeled contraptions that are oh so cheap and ridiculously fun to drive) and struck up a conversation (in English) with the driver. I asked him to take me to a place called Icehouse (this along with Chetpet are the two main weed dealing areas). On the way, I let him know that I wanted to score some weed (or dope as they call it in Madras) and I would tip him well.

The driver took me past the mosque in Icehouse and stopped by a very low income area. He then proceeded to make contact with a guy sitting by the road who then brought the stuff to me.

Each packet is Rs 100 (or $2). Bought 3 packets. Trip fare was Rs 200 and I threw in a Rs 100 tip (total $6). So total cost was $12. And these are tourist prices.

Smoke Report:

The weed looked like typical Indian weed - brownish green. It was soft and a bit sticky - was packed very well for India. While the stems were pretty big, there were very few seeds and I managed to get about 7-8 pure joints (pretty thick ones I might add) per packet.

The smoke was very smooth. Did not hurt your throat one bit despite smoking 3-4 joints a day (I have this problem with some weed where on subsequent days it just hurts to take a drag).

The high was very sativa. Very very euphoric. And again unlike some weed you could keep the high going all day or just come down completely and hit it hard again.

Overall I would rate this about 7.5/10

Few tips for the newbie tourists...

- Always ask the auto driver if he speaks English before you get in. Most know a smattering of it.

- Always carry change (50s and 100s) - one of the biggest scams in India is the "I don't have change" scam. Since a lot of people carry 500s, dealers and auto drivers pull the whole "I don't have change" line when you pull out a 500. Leaves you in a very awkward position.

- When chatting with the auto driver, make small talk about his family, things to do in Madras etc before broaching the subject.

11444.jpg
21031.jpg
3934.jpg

Back
Top Bottom